Sign in to follow this  
Zylbar

I flashed, but did I actually upgrade

Hey everybody :)

I made a boot cd from TMOD's iso image and I tried to follow instructions. First clearing CMOS, then flashing, then going back into BIOS and setting things up.

I flashed OCZ Tony's nF4 704-2bta.

However, when I boot up, it looks like my bios version went backwards in time.

I used to see 11/14/2005 NF CK804 in the bottom of the boot screen, but after flashing it shows 07/06/2005-NF-CK804

Did I make a mistake?

I thought for sure that my named setting groups in CMOS Reloaded would get wiped, but they didn't.

I tried to clear CMOS by 1) unplugging power, 2) removing battery, 3) moving the CMOS clear jumper to 2-3 for 10 minutes, 4) restoring the jumper, 5) replacing the battery, and finally 6) plugging in and powering back up.

Then I reread TMOD's instructions and noticed I had forgotten to press the start button to bleed of capacitive charges. I never had to do that in the old days, things just leaked out pretty quickly.

happy trails

Guest Tmod
I thought for sure that my named setting groups in CMOS Reloaded would get wiped, but they didn't.

I tried to clear CMOS by 1) unplugging power, 2) removing battery, 3) moving the CMOS clear jumper to 2-3 for 10 minutes, 4) restoring the jumper, 5) replacing the battery, and finally 6) plugging in and powering back up.

Then I reread TMOD's instructions and noticed I had forgotten to press the start button to bleed of capacitive charges. I never had to do that in the old days, things just leaked out pretty quickly.

happy trails

Just remember not to use the old CMOS Reloaded settings from a different bios on the new one.

Sometimes things go crazy when you do that.

Tmod

New equipment new solutions.

Cmos reload will not clear with a bios update or a cmos clear. Do not use any stored settings with a new bios. To be safe load optimized defaults save and exit, reenter bios and save optimized defaults to any cmos reloaded settings that you have saved. This will wipe out all the previous settings that you saved and will save you some headachs.

Thanks for the clarifications. I think I read that before in one of the sticky's but now it's clear. I've reset them all to optimized defaults. Then I fixed up the settings for raid and usb, and saved in CMOS reloaded as my baseline 200FSB.

Soon I may be ready to start pushing the voltages and clocks. I think my nvidia drivers are all stable.

I'm still hoping somebody can enlighten me about the nF4 firmware - does it need to get flashed or updated? I've got a separate thread below about it.