Bios question

I have the 3/10/05 Bios running stable on my machine for a while now. I have attempted to flash the bios on several occasions to a newer bios that have been released with no luck. No matter what newer bios I flash and then load optimized defaults, I always get the 3 red lights with no boot.

If I clear CMOS and reflash back to 3/10, everything is fine and running normal.

I would leave well enough alone but if I decide to upgrade to a dual core X2 the bios will need to be updated.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hello,

BIOS 623-3 should work.

Once flashed, Clear the CMOS for 10mins.

Then enter the bios change the few settings that you need to and leave the rest on auto.

You do not have to use/load optimised defaults.

Also make sure the memory is in the orange slots.

Check to see if there are memory settings for your memory in this thread.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25447

I have tried 623-3 & the latest 4/06 with no success. The memory is in both orange slots. The weird thing is I flash back to the 3-10-05, and the PC boots right up.

Any additional thoughts? BTW, thanks Sharp for your suggestions.

I have the 3/10/05 Bios running stable on my machine for a while now. I have attempted to flash the bios on several occasions to a newer bios that have been released with no luck. No matter what newer bios I flash and then load optimized defaults, I always get the 3 red lights with no boot.

If I clear CMOS and reflash back to 3/10, everything is fine and running normal.

I would leave well enough alone but if I decide to upgrade to a dual core X2 the bios will need to be updated.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My board had the 310 bios when I received it. I have flashed to the 624 and have no problems.

Which flash method did you use? I am a firm believer in the pure dos (floppy or bootable CDr) method.

Always dump the cmos after the flash just to be safe about any lingering stuff.

I flashed using both floppy and TMOD CD with no luck and cleared CMOS. I loaded defaults, made minor bios changes like disable onboard audio and reboot with no luck.

I don't understand why flashing to any newer bios causes a 3 led no boot and the flash back to 3/10/05 bios works everytime.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks

I flashed using both floppy and TMOD CD with no luck and cleared CMOS. I loaded defaults, made minor bios changes like disable onboard audio and reboot with no luck.

I don't understand why flashing to any newer bios causes a 3 led no boot and the flash back to 3/10/05 bios works everytime.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks

Flash from a floppy with the following command line,

awdflash biosname.bin /sn /py

Now after flashing remove power from the system and clear the CMOS for a bit.

Now return the jumper to the original position and reapply power.

If she boots fine enter the bios and set'er up.

Tmod

Tmod, one question, after the flash with the command specified, do i just shut the PC off to remove power? I believe after the flash it will give you a reboot option only.

Thanks

I'm not Tmod, but I say it does not make any difference.

I do not do this, I run the command line switches and then just shut down the power at reboot and clear the cmoss.

After about 30 seconds, turn it on and set the bios where I want it.

I still have no luck with the flash to either 623-3 or 4-6-06 bios. As always the flash back to 3-10 boots up with no problem.

I would really need to flash to a newer bios if I decide to upgrade to X2. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe 3-10 supports X2 CPU's.

Any other suggestions/ideas? BTW, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I still have no luck with the flash to either 623-3 or 4-6-06 bios. As always the flash back to 3-10 boots up with no problem.

I would really need to flash to a newer bios if I decide to upgrade to X2. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe 3-10 supports X2 CPU's.

Any other suggestions/ideas? BTW, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I believe you are correct::If your bios chip refuses to allow the flash to a more recent bios. You can contact the DFI bios flasher. He will ship you a new bios chip flashed with whichever you want.

http://biosmedic.com/forum/index.php

I also noticed in Smart Guardian that the DRAM voltage reads 2.49-2.51 even when I change in the BIOS to 2.7 or 2.8. The voltage is the same even after the switch to my new Corsair 620W PSU.

Any additional thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Bobyjo, I will look into that forum link if all else fails.

I also noticed in Smart Guardian that the DRAM voltage reads 2.49-2.51 even when I change in the BIOS to 2.7 or 2.8. The voltage is the same even after the switch to my new Corsair 620W PSU.

Any additional thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Bobyjo, I will look into that forum link if all else fails.

This is not a forum perse, this is just the link to his bios ordering etc.

This guy is as good as gold, you email him tell him what you need.

Send him $8.00 and in a few days you get a new bios chip already flashed to the bios file you want.

$8.00 was what he was charging the last time I used his bios.

He will let you know what the price is when you contact him.