Sign in to follow this  
Tiamat

Blue Screens during videos and internet

I have lost count of how many times i have posted on here due to my bluescreen issues, but be ready for another. Im basically pretty sure it's a ram issue now and will be orderring some more either tomorrow or the day after. But just in case I'm mistaken i'll tell you my problem. It started about a week aftert having the internet installed. I would recieve a bluescreen when there was a lot going on with the net at once (msn,torrents,browser simultaneously) which would give me a 'IRQL Not_Less_Or_Equal' message. I figured it would be something to do with the Ethernet controller because when I first started using the net the Nvidia controller would not work and I had to use the Marvell miniport thingy. The problems went away to my delight. A month or so later and I start getting blue screens when watching videos. A few different messages appear. 'PNF List Corrupted'....'Paging File error In Non-paged area'......'IRQL' again, Driver Errors and lastly it would often name various system files as the culprit. Ive tried every thing I can think of and the only media pplayer that doesnt bluescreen my everytime within 10 mins is media player classic. No, instead of ALWAYS bluescreening me it will sometimes give me a message, 'Application Error, memory could not be written' and thebn when trying to restart the program or any other media players...'Error - Application could not initialize' and I have to reboot. Now, im not completely useless, I know these errors can be caused by all kinds of nonsense like sound cards, pci assignment, irq clashes, driver errors, faulty windows installations and dodgy HDDs, but my computer was workin fine for nearly a year before all this crap. Its started happening again while on the internet, but iy cant be due to that because I eliminated that as a factor and disconnected it. Still happens. Can anyone suggest anything other than RAM befor I spend 200 buying more only to find that it still happens?

Given the history of the ram you have that would probably be a good place to start. By now Windows may be corrupted. If you decide to purchase new ram, once you have stable settings, you may want to consider a reinstall.

Well, run memtest86 before doing anything with your RAM.

Check to see if there are any IRQ conflicts...

To view your current IRQ assignments you can open Device Manager.

1. Click on START, click on CONTROL PANEL.

2. Click on Performance and Maintenance.

3. Click on System.

4. Click on the Hardware tab.

5. Click the DEVICE MANAGER button.

Once you have Device Manager open, select VIEW from the toolbar menu and then click Resources by Type.

Double click on Interrupt Request (IRQ)

From there...see if you've still got problems. It might be one of the graphics cards and the sound card or the lan port.

On first glance, the IRQ list here seems ok. No problems or errors I can see. I ran memtest a week or so ago and found it to be flooded with errors, which is why I figured my bluescreens were caused by that. Im not accurately clued up on how exactly RAM interacts with the various components in my system and was really just wondering if RAM can cause the error messages ive been seeing on my various bluescreens

Hello,

Flooded with errorrs = the root of your problems.

Memory must be in the orange slots.

Also set the memory voltage to 2.8v.

Also Try one stick at a time in the orange slot. (slot 2)

run memtest to check.

Window began to experience errors starting up and I started experiencing some blue screens while it is loading. Now I cant even start it up because apparently system files are corrupt or missing. I figured it may be a dodgy HDD issue but the new version of Powermax wont detect my drives...so I cant be sure. Still pretty certain its RAM though. Only thing I can do is try the sticks in different slots and run memtest.....really i need windows workin to see if the blue screens still occur when trying different configurations

I ran memtest a week or so ago and found it to be flooded with errors…

If you tested with memtest test #5 and #8 for 10-20 passes each. Then all test for 20 passes and you’re still coming up with all those errors.

Replace the memory or check your memory timings by searching the Stock Speed Database (SSDB) and Overclocking Database (OCDB) for memory timing for those Crucial Ballistix. It is a start.

You will need to resolve your memory issue before getting back to the OS (Windows). Even after your memory issue is resolved you will most likely need to re-installed a new OS due to corruption.

Im not accurately clued up on how exactly RAM interacts with the various components in my system and was really just wondering if RAM can cause the error messages ive been seeing on my various bluescreens
RAM interacts with EVERY single software in your rig and thus everything in your rig.

If you get even one error in MemTest then you shouldn't even be booting into the OS. If you do, there is every chance that it will end up hosing your OS just as you say.

MemTest as suggested, and if you find errors try the stock speed database. If you try these settings and are still getting problems, then you probable have a bad stick. Try testing each one in the furthest orange, one at a time. If you get errors on just one of them then you'll be best off starting the RMA process to get them replaced.

For a large thread on just these kind of problems with your RAM - check here

I know folks pretty much don't like Crucial ballistix here and I understand why.

However, there is still a chance that RAM is good and needs some tweaking.

I am unfamiliar with that power supply you have, perhaps that might need to be replaced with a DFI recommended one.

I doubt there is any tweaking to be done here....because my system ran fine with the RAM settings as they were for just under a year. I found out last night that only one of the sticks is faulty. I ran memtest for 7hours with no errors on the other one. Only thing is, I have to have the one stick in the second orange slot, otherwise my monitor recieves no display. is this normal? It doesnt appear to cause any obvious problems by being in the second slot. Perhaps my first orange slot is faulty? I think now i need to install windows onto a partion so I can back up my important stuff. Then format my hard drives and reinstall windows again fresh....once I have some new RAM running stable.

This really does sound very much like the issues we've seen with the early batch of Ballistix. It runs great for ages, and then slowly starts to deteriorate until eventually you can't even boot...

Have a read of the thread, and you'll see what i mean. From what you've said, I really do think that you're up for an RMA on those sticks.