Sign in to follow this  
MattC

Very unpredtictable boot on expert, almost never.

Yesterday I was rather interested, so I went out and bought a digital multimeter. I checked out the rails from my psu with my interim setup. Basically all the same components but involving an Asus A8N-E. Here are the results

+3.3v rail

software reading: idle 3.328

load 3.328-3.296

multimeter reading: idle 3.35-3.36

load 3.35

+5v rail

software reading: idle 5.107

load 5.134-5.107

multimeter reading: idle 5.15-5.17

load 5.17-5.18

+12v rail

software reading: idle 12.096

load 12.096-12.032

multimeter reading: idle 12.25-12.26

load 12.24-12.22

I was just wondering if it was common for psus to operate at rates that are almost overvolting specs, rather than coming up under specs. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

MattC

It isn't uncommon for a good PSU to overvolt the rail specifications just a tad. The spec. calls for each rail to be operating within +/- 5% of the rated line voltage (and applies equally at idle and under load).

The 700W OCZ GameXStream is a solid choice. I love mine. And in the end, even if that doesn't solve this specific problem, you've invested in a solid psu that should future proof you for a few years anyway.

Anyway, back to your boot issue. Do you have any USB devices, Thumb Drives, or SD Card Slot devices attached when you try to boot?

Hey, hows it going? I finally got my new psu. I picked up a OCZ Gamexstream 700W. And I tried another cmos clear. Unfortunately my problem still exists. When I press the power button either all 4 or none of the LEDs come on and stay that way. One in 100 starts(total estimate) it will start up properly and get to windows and work fine, no freezing or random restarts. Then when I restart or anything like that, it won't come back. Never.

So is there anything else I can try, or should this be rma'ed? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

MattC

Matt,

Do you get the same no boot condition if you try just a single stick of memory?

A week ago I recieved my watercooling setup. And while I was installing the chipset block, I accidently broke one of the capacitors/resistors on my videocard. I didn't know this at first, and after about 10-15 failed attempts to boot, I recognized it. Being an optimistic person I tried soldering the piece back on the vidcard. And luckily it worked. But once I had the card working again my real problem started. This fact may be a total coincidence since I don't see why it would cause the following problem.

Everything was working fine untill this point,I'll bet it's not coincidental

Hey thanks for the replies. I am greatful for the help. Alright, I am gonna try to explain exactly whats happening for me. And so far its not looking good.

Matt,

Do you get the same no boot condition if you try just a single stick of memory?

Yes I get the same boot condition with one, two or four sticks plugged in. If it does start properly, it functions just fine and stays totally stable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattC

A week ago I recieved my watercooling setup. And while I was installing the chipset block, I accidently broke one of the capacitors/resistors on my videocard. I didn't know this at first, and after about 10-15 failed attempts to boot, I recognized it. Being an optimistic person I tried soldering the piece back on the vidcard. And luckily it worked. But once I had the card working again my real problem started. This fact may be a total coincidence since I don't see why it would cause the following problem.

Everything was working fine untill this point,I'll bet it's not coincidental

Well as it stands I have noticed a much more unsettling pattern. When I first started having problems, I couldn't get it to display whether I had a pci or pci-e card in, in any slot. I know my pci-e 6800GS still works because I had it working on another board right after my DFI board started giving me problems.

Well after a while I got the system to display with the vidcard in the pci-e 2x slot at the bottom.

Now let me clarify. My problem was that my system would either boot fine or not make it past all or none of the LEDs lit up. Including never coming back from a restart, or a cmos save. Now with the new psu and the vidcard installed in the 2x slot I gotta say it starts/restarts properly 60% of the time. So I thought things were starting to improve. Well I thought lets try it back in the 16x slot. Now it gets ugly.

When I start it with the vidcard in the 16x slot it still has the 4 or none led problem. But the odd time that it starts and moves to 3 leds, it right away goes back to 4 and fails. And literally one out of every 100 starts it will go to 3 leds then 2 then 1 followed by a long beep and then 3 short ones. And I know from the manual that is supposed to mean video problem.

So is it possible that trying to start the board while the vidcard capacitor/resistor was damaged, it might have screwed the 16x slot, and perhaps some other power related function of the board. Does this in any way void my warranty(please say no). And is this something that they would handle if I rma'ed the board? Thats all I can think of. Thanks to all the people that actually read my whole post. Any ideas are very welcome.

MattC

Matt,

Yes it is possible that having damaged your video card and then attempting a boot MIGHT have consequently damaged your PCI-e lane.

Your best bet here is to contact Happy_Games and explain the full situation to him, be open and honest. I'll bet that you will find the DFI tech support group more than happy to help you, even if that includes a RMA. If your board is still under warranty, at the minimum they will be able to trouble shoot it and determine what the real problem might be.

Good luck - and remember, be completely transparent, open and honest when explaining your situation to HG.

Yes it is possible that having damaged your video card and then attempting a boot MIGHT have consequently damaged your PCI-e lane.

Ofcourse I'm not totally sure thats what it is, but it seems very possible now. I am gonna msg Happy Games, and just link to this post. I've been nothing but honest so far so its gonna be all truth. Thanks wevsspot I appreciate you answering me. *crosses fingers* Here goes. :)

MattC

Ofcourse I'm not totally sure thats what it is, but it seems very possible now. I am gonna msg Happy Games, and just link to this post. I've been nothing but honest so far so its gonna be all truth. Thanks wevsspot I appreciate you answering me. *crosses fingers* Here goes. :)

MattC

Good luck. Like I said earlier, at least they will test the board and confirm whether or not there is a problem with it. Then you should have the final answer on your next step.

When I start it with the vidcard in the 16x slot it still has the 4 or none led problem. But the odd time that it starts and moves to 3 leds, it right away goes back to 4 and fails. And literally one out of every 100 starts it will go to 3 leds then 2 then 1 followed by a long beep and then 3 short ones. And I know from the manual that is supposed to mean video problem.

As I posted above, I have my vidcard installed in my 2x pci-e slot. And as such it is only getting 2x bandwidth. Now I have never worked with an sli setup before. But I know when I change the genie bios setting 16-1-1-2 to 8-4-NC-8, it will no longer boot. Does there have to be a videocard in the first slot for the 8-4-NC-8 option to work. Or is there some other option I need to take care of first. With my card only getting 2x bandwidth, I am really starting to feel it. Please tell me there is some kind of solution. Much appreciation to anyone who has an idea they want to put forward. :)

MatthewC