Sign in to follow this  
MattC

Very unpredtictable boot on expert, almost never.

Hey how is going? This is my first post, but I have been checking out the forum for 2 months or more. I know this is another boot/post thread. But my problem started a week ago, and I haven't posted til now because I wanted to search for a posting that was similar. Alas I have not found one that is completely like mine. My system specs are in my sig. So here goes.

A week ago I recieved my watercooling setup. And while I was installing the chipset block, I accidently broke one of the capacitors/resistors on my videocard. I didn't know this at first, and after about 10-15 failed attempts to boot, I recognized it. Being an optimistic person I tried soldering the piece back on the vidcard. And luckily it worked. But once I had the card working again my real problem started. This fact may be a total coincidence since I don't see why it would cause the following problem.

My problem is with the motherboard now. When I try to boot, I get very unpredictable results. When I boot I either get all 4 debug lights or none. And then sometimes it will start. Almost never though. And when it is running if I need to restart or go to bios and save and exit it doesn't come back.

I have been reading through lots of posts and haven't really seen the same problem posted. I know I have a psu that is not fully recommended for the expert but I am not running sli or have a dual core processor. I have had the board since July. And barring a few setup quirks it has worked out great for me. I have tried a 24 and a 48 hour cmos clear with no luck. I have tried using a pci videocard. I have tried to boot with only one stick or ram. I have even followed nf4 build sticky(even though thats how I always start a build) and still no luck. With each thing I have tried I get the same unpredictable results. I am getting an OCZ gamexstream 600W by the end of the week since I don't have another psu to test with. Aside from that, my whole system has been put back on my old board(an Asus A8N-E) and is operating just fine. I have tried my best to outline my problem and things I have tried. Anyone with a suggestion please post and let me know. If anyone has a question, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for a the help. I really like this forum. Its very helpful and also an encouraging environment to be a part of.

MatthewC

Guest caffeinejunkie
I would give the power supply a try, and also make sure all 4 power connections are made

On the expert theres only three....

24pin ATX

8pin EPS

floppy

but I concure with waiting on the GXS before further troubleshooting. It almost sounds like coldboot issues and very well could be with 2.5a on the +5vsb but the not being able to boot after it is running kinda nixes that

Thanks for the posts. Ever since I had the board in my hands all 3 power connectors have been plugged in. Now the Enermax only has the 4 pin +12v and not the 8 pin. So the Expert requires the 8 pin? And does this sound like solely a power issue? I want the ocz psu so getting it is not an issue, but will the board work flawlessly after that? What if the problem persists? Thanks a lot.

MatthewC

I was just doing a little more browsing and noticed the Corsair HX 520W. This is a modular psu and I would love to be able to drop my total cable count inside my case. I was wondering would the OCZ be way better to get than the Corsair, or not much difference?

MatthewC

I think every1 here will tell you teh OCZ is better, but your choice. THere of course is no guarantee that the PS will solve your problem. But there is a bit of confidence on our behalf.

BTW, you stole my name. :D

I think you have a ram issue, actually. Are you using 'stock' settings, or do you have all of the settings in Genie bios set to a specific value?

If you're using stock/automatic settings, that's likely the problem. Installing without the proper memory settings causes the install checksums to corrupt and will eventually cause sporadic boots, failed boots, and BSoDs. Post a part number for your kit, and I'll give you some custom settings to try out...the downside is that to test them, you'll have to format and re-install, but let's face it, if it doesn't work, it was free, hehe.

If you borked the video card...you likely borked the board as well...I would be looking for another board...mostly wasting time doing anything else and chasing yourself around about a power supply...logic says it worked until you went to work on the chipset and the video card suffered and probably something else as well including a chipped chipset...if you are speakign here of the motherboard chipset and not just the gpu..

RGone...:confused:

Hey how is going? This is my first post, but I have been checking out the forum for 2 months or more. I know this is another boot/post thread. But my problem started a week ago, and I haven't posted til now because I wanted to search for a posting that was similar. Alas I have not found one that is completely like mine. My system specs are in my sig. So here goes.

A week ago I recieved my watercooling setup. And while I was installing the chipset block, I accidently broke one of the capacitors/resistors on my videocard. I didn't know this at first, and after about 10-15 failed attempts to boot, I recognized it. Being an optimistic person I tried soldering the piece back on the vidcard. And luckily it worked. But once I had the card working again my real problem started. This fact may be a total coincidence since I don't see why it would cause the following problem.

My problem is with the motherboard now. When I try to boot, I get very unpredictable results. When I boot I either get all 4 debug lights or none. And then sometimes it will start. Almost never though. And when it is running if I need to restart or go to bios and save and exit it doesn't come back.

I have been reading through lots of posts and haven't really seen the same problem posted. I know I have a psu that is not fully recommended for the expert but I am not running sli or have a dual core processor. I have had the board since July. And barring a few setup quirks it has worked out great for me. I have tried a 24 and a 48 hour cmos clear with no luck. I have tried using a pci videocard. I have tried to boot with only one stick or ram. I have even followed nf4 build sticky(even though thats how I always start a build) and still no luck. With each thing I have tried I get the same unpredictable results. I am getting an OCZ gamexstream 600W by the end of the week since I don't have another psu to test with. Aside from that, my whole system has been put back on my old board(an Asus A8N-E) and is operating just fine. I have tried my best to outline my problem and things I have tried. Anyone with a suggestion please post and let me know. If anyone has a question, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for a the help. I really like this forum. Its very helpful and also an encouraging environment to be a part of.

MatthewC

Here, give these a try. They should do it for you.

FSB Bus Frequency - 200

AGP Bus Frequency - 67mhz

Clock Spread Spectrum - Disabled

LDT Downstream Width - Auto

LDT Upstream Width - Auto

LDT/FSB Frequency - 4

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - 11

CPU VID Control - 1.275

CPU VID Special Control - 110%

Chip Set Voltage Control - 1.6v

AGP Voltage Control - 1.5v

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.7v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set - 200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Disabled

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 2.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 2 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 5 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 02 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 8 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 14 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 3 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 3 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 2 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 3 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120 Cycles

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave - Disabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Auto

Max Async Latency - Auto

Read Preamble Time - Auto

IdleCycle Limit - Auto

Dynamic Counter - Disabled

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(8 Bursts)

I think you have a ram issue, actually. Are you using 'stock' settings, or do you have all of the settings in Genie bios set to a specific value?

I have had the board since july and I have been tweaking it ever since. Surprisingly, I am sure it was set for my default settings at the time all this started which has all dram options specified.

If you borked the video card...you likely borked the board as well...I would be looking for another board...mostly wasting time doing anything else and chasing yourself around about a power supply...logic says it worked until you went to work on the chipset and the video card suffered and probably something else as well including a chipped chipset...if you are speakign here of the motherboard chipset and not just the gpu..

Thanks for the reply RGone. This was tickling the back of my mind. But I know I never chipped the mb with anything though. When I installed the chipset waterblock, the chipset and vidcard were really close and I wasn't aware it was close enough to bend/break anything on the vidcard. But alas to my dismay I noticed the capacitor/resistor had a small break. After the card was soldered it worked and is working right now. And there was never any physical contact out of the ordinary with the mb.

One thing I did figure out. If I press the power either 4 or 0 led lights turn on. And if I press reset repeatedly it will eventually go to 3 and then finally start up. Its not the way I always want to start the comp even for restarts. And it will probably screw the board. So thats a dead end. Thanks for the replies everyone. If anyone else wants to throw in their ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

MatthewC

Just to let you know my timings were:

FSB Bus Frequency - 200

PCI-Express Bus Frequency - 100mhz

Clock Spread Spectrum - Disabled

LDT Downstream Width - 16

LDT Upstream Width - 16

LDT/FSB Frequency - 5

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - 11

CPU VID Control - auto

CPU VID Special Control - auto

Chip Set Voltage Control - 1.5v

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.7v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set - 200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Disabled

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 2.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 2 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 5 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 02 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 9 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 14 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 2 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 2 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 2 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 2 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120 Cycles