Cold Boot issue? is this it...

Sorry, i know many wrote about this, but...

I have the system as in sig, all assembled and working since february and never had a problem.

This morning i checked email and shut windows down before going to work.

after work, i came back in the evening, powered on and nothing happened, i tried many times, remove cable, etc...

i disassembled the case, took out the power supply thinking it was damaged, and tried to start it with the short cable (pin 14-15) and it was turned on, i reconnected the cables to the mobo and everything started ok. with no cmos reset or battery removal.

is this the cold boot problem with the dfi? it never happened before, and i didn't change anything since months, only window patches..

What do the four diagnostic led's on your board indicate? This can give you some idea of what is happening.

It could be that over time your PSU has lost some efficiency. This could cause a problem since it is at the minimum power required for DFI boards.

Also, make sure all of the connections are tight. Heating and cooling can definitely cause them to work loose.

Good luck!

Sorry, i know many wrote about this, but...

I have the system as in sig, all assembled and working since february and never had a problem.

This morning i checked email and shut windows down before going to work.

after work, i came back in the evening, powered on and nothing happened, i tried many times, remove cable, etc...

i disassembled the case, took out the power supply thinking it was damaged, and tried to start it with the short cable (pin 14-15) and it was turned on, i reconnected the cables to the mobo and everything started ok. with no cmos reset or battery removal.

is this the cold boot problem with the dfi? it never happened before, and i didn't change anything since months, only window patches..

L & C TECHNOLOGY INC

E164554

L&C, Apex/Allied, Austin, Deer

Your PSU is apparently one of the worst made!

Try a DFI recommended PSU: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

What do the four diagnostic led's on your board indicate? This can give you some idea of what is happening.

It could be that over time your PSU has lost some efficiency. This could cause a problem since it is at the minimum power required for DFI boards.

Also, make sure all of the connections are tight. Heating and cooling can definitely cause them to work loose.

Good luck!

4 diag leds were off, only 2 yellow ones were on, and pressing thje power on didn't make any effect or sound, just as if i didn't press a thing.

it is a good power supply, it can give 18A on the 12v rail, which should be enough.

the question remains: is this the cold boot issue, or something else?

cold boot is when you hit the power button from a full off state and everything powers but you get no video... hitting the reset button and rebooting it usually clears it...that is appearently not your case...

Warm boot is when you get that symptom during a reboot and have to fully power off and restart to get video...;)

Then it's not cold boot.

Yesterday after i've been done with the pc, i turned it off as usual, and this morning i had the same problem.

the solution i found for now is this (i have already the psu out of the case):

turn everything off, disconnect the psu cables on the motherboard for few minutes, then connect and power on, and it works...

in your opinion, is this a psu or mobo problem?

Almost certainly a PSU issue. 18A on the 12V line just isn't going to be enough when all the drives initialize, as does the graphics card, CPU and all the other gear.

Even if for some reason this isn't your problem - you will be saving yourself a major headache in the future... Do yourself a favour and get yourself one off the recommended list before it takes something out with it. davidhammock200's opinion on power supplies is gospel around here - so i'd definately go with his suggestion...?

What i found is that this problem occurs only when i shutdown the computer and turn off the power on the whole computer with the surge-protect power outlet, when i leave the the outlet on during the night, the computer turns on with no problems.

do you still think it's a psu problem?

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57133 Old Geekster power supply / cold boot issue cleared...that is one of the 'best reads' in the forum about cold boot and the user's I cannot believe it is a power supply issue and how he goes on to test and gets to the same place you are where he just left his UPS power on so the power supply was always energized rather than turn off power to the power supply overnite...he finally changed the power supply and viola no more issue...will your results come out exactly the same? No one can say for sure...but that thread has sadness turn to jubilation as it reads from end to end...

RGone...:confused:

Down to post #89 where 'old geekster' tells it like he found it... http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...38&postcount=89

What i found is that this problem occurs only when i shutdown the computer and turn off the power on the whole computer with the surge-protect power outlet, when i leave the the outlet on during the night, the computer turns on with no problems.

do you still think it's a psu problem?