Stability Testing Programs

Praz

Before installing windows, I ran memtest 3.2 and did tests 5 and 8 for about 10-12 passes each....then i did the general tests for about 3-4 hours...i didnt get any errors...

I havent overclocked anything yet, so do I need to run the above mentioned tests (prime95, super pi, OCCT, memtest for windows)...

Ahmadka, passing memtest for a few hours doesn't mean your memory is already stable. Let me share my story. I have a 2x1GB Corsair kit which passed memtest86 for about 8 hours (3 hrs of #5, 2.5 hrs of #8 and the rest Std tests.) The system booted to WinXP fine, but couldn't even pass SuperPI 1M! I got error message out as soon as SuperPI started every time. I then spent hours researching the issue, turned out it's the DRAM Drive Strength that caused all the trouble. I then used the try-and-error method and finally found the most stable DRAM Drive Strength value for my Corsair, and then my rig passed SuperPI, OCCT and Dual Prime all fine with the new value.

The interesting part about the case is that, memtest86 has limited capability to test out the stability of each DRAM Drive Strength setting. Thus, I think there might be some other faults of the memory setting that memtest86 can't fully identify as well. Faults like that will probably be identified by more aggresive overall tests as suggested here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I just tired the Super Pi dual instance and it wouldnt work on a brisbane core....on either rig...

I get a out of square x 5 error...either will run on its own but not at the same time...if I start one doesnt matter which one the other will throw the same error...done just as the guide shows...so no dual Pi for me...;)