Sign in to follow this  
ButtChew

Ram Ceiling - Shouldnt Be Hitting

As you can see from my sig, I have some pretty nice OCZ ram, PC4000 gold edition. I tried OC'ing my Opty 170 at 2.6ghz (260*10). I set the ram divider to the manual default of 1/01 (200mhz). I even upped the voltage for my Dram from 2.6v to 2.7v for a little breathing room.

However, I cant even pass the SuperPi 32M test. I get the round limit error half way through roughly.

Ive read over the PDF OC guide, and understand pretty much the majority of it. However I dont know what the next steps should be in adjusting my RAM ... I can only assume its my memory causing the instability at this point, 2.6ghz should be easy for my processor.

Guest Darkslayer

My advice; Drop the ram back to DDR266, lower the HTT freq to 3x, and set the memory command rate for 2T. Then try again. I'm getting the same error with my system (@ 2.75ghz). Believe me, my ram is n't being stressed. You may just have an unlucky CPU :(.

That's about all I can say at this point. Go try that stuff and let us know what happens :)

Good luck :)

As you can see from my sig, I have some pretty nice OCZ ram, PC4000 gold edition. I tried OC'ing my Opty 170 at 2.6ghz (260*10). I set the ram divider to the manual default of 1/01 (200mhz). I even upped the voltage for my Dram from 2.6v to 2.7v for a little breathing room.

However, I cant even pass the SuperPi 32M test. I get the round limit error half way through roughly.

Ive read over the PDF OC guide, and understand pretty much the majority of it. However I dont know what the next steps should be in adjusting my RAM ... I can only assume its my memory causing the instability at this point, 2.6ghz should be easy for my processor.

Only way to find the answers to your question is to follow the guide and don't "assume" your processor will do this speed or that. Work one component at a time. If your memory is 1:1 right now and only rated for 250 you will need to tinker to see if it can handle 260 but before you do that I'd drop it to 166 and fool with the processor awhile. Bottom line is it takes awhile to get your feet wet and get a feel for a particular setup...

Tinker tinker tinker....Good Luck!

Drop the ram back to DDR266

Are you talking about the ratio? Or is this another setting?

And yeah Old, I know Im gonna have to do that ... was just hoping that *maybe* it couldve gone a bit smoother for me lol. Was a big maybe :[

And yeah Old, I know Im gonna have to do that ... was just hoping that *maybe* it couldve gone a bit smoother for me lol. Was a big maybe :[

HaHa...yeah...sometimes you can get lucky and plug in some numbers and just go to town and be done with it. BUT...it's always good to tinker a bit so you know what's what. I cut my teeth so to speak on an NF3 Ultra D. NF3 250gb before that was pretty easy I guess and everything after the NF3 Ultra D was pretty easy as well but I had bits and pieces I was familiar with at that point. A bit tougher throwing a whole new rig together...that's when a little experience kicks in no matter what platform. Only been doing this for about a year and a half myself...been a lot of fun. Tweaking memory on an NF4 is where you can lose a whole lot of hours (and sleep).

Tweaking memory on an NF4 is where you can lose a whole lot of hours (and sleep).

Lol, not what I wanted to hear :P

Im gonna try to find my CPU ceiling first I suppose, it doesnt seem too tough.

Lol, not what I wanted to hear :P

Im gonna try to find my CPU ceiling first I suppose, it doesnt seem too tough.

Nope...all you can do with a cpu is increase voltage :) Though boogered memory will kill you every time. I kinda go opposite of the OC guide and try and find what my memory can do first. Dividers can wreak havoc with certain cpu/mobo combos...so take the "just drop the divider" with a grain of salt, or a cold brew...whatever works for you.

Guest Darkslayer

Yes, that is the ratio. You will find all that you need under Genie Bios/Memory settings. Drop the ram abck to 133 (266) for testing.

Followed the OC guide on finding my CPU max. As of right now, the highest I can go on voltage is 1.4v (1.3v is my default) due to heating issues. I am running on stock air cooling, including the stock AMD fan :rolleyes:

However I was able to get stable SuperPi32M tests all the way up to 2.7ghz before getting an error. My max with 1.4v is between 2.66ghz and 2.69ghz.

I plan on getting water cooling, so it's almost pointless to get a solid OC for the 2.65ghz as I will just be doing it all over again once I get a new CPU max.

Keeping it at 2.4ghz for now. I can pass 10+ hours of Prime95 with this setup.