Sign in to follow this  
faheyd

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR 500 (PC 4000) $189 after Free Ship

EDIT 4 NOV 06, OUT OF STOCK

"EDIT BY faheyd: Your Milage May Vary (YMMV), and not really supported in any way by the powers that be, please read the whole thread and some of the ref'd threads prior to purchasing" :eek:

At NewEgg.com

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR 500 (PC 4000) $189 after Free Ship and Rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820148018

Original Price: $229.99

Instant Savings: -$10.00

$219.99

($189.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Free Three Day Shipping

(Not available in HI, AK and PR)

I see on the pictures of the shipping box: BL12864Z503-TD1

Brand Crucial Technology

Model BL2KIT12864Z503.16T

Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

Tech Spec

Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Speed DDR 500 (PC 4000)

Cas Latency 3

Timing 3-4-4-8

Voltage 2.8V

Heat Spreader Yes

They also have a deal on the blinky LED's one also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146035 $199 after rebate.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Link to Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp...BL2KIT12864Z503

Guest BFG

Is this the same stuff that is plauged by an early death?

while these modules might or might not have "early death" syndrome, because of Crucial really dropping the ball bad with TOO MANY previous customers:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ucial+ballistix

I cannot and will not recommend Crucial Ballistix.

If they had just fixed the problem or refunded everyone's money without all the runaround and hassling, I wouldn't have a problem recommending them.

But since they treated a very large number of customers as per that thread (not just DFI customers either), I'm afraid I couldn't trust purchasing anything with their name brand.

Just a warning...read that thread if you still think you want some.

while these modules might or might not have "early death" syndrome, because of Crucial really dropping the ball bad with TOO MANY previous customers:

If they had just fixed the problem or refunded everyone's money without all the runaround and hassling, I wouldn't have a problem recommending them.

But since they treated a very large number of customers as per that thread (not just DFI customers either), I'm afraid I couldn't trust purchasing anything with their name brand.

Yes HG, that thread was why I felt OK posting this deal, as it looks like the TD1 chips are OK. The last few posts in that ref'd thread showed that things are good now. I'm not a pro though. so I bought a pair of these and they will get here next week. I will test them out, but of course, as far a longevity is concerned only time will tell.

(I have no stock or corporate interest in Crucial Ballistic, but that is a cool name, no?)

After reading many, but not all pages (over 1000 posts) in that thread, have you asked your 'friend' at Crucial if the new TD1's are in fact, THE SOLUTION? If not, I would have to not recommend this special at NewEgg for the everyday user here at DFI.

Thanks,

Dylan

After reading many, but not all pages (over 1000 posts) in that thread, have you asked your 'friend' at Crucial if the new TD1's are in fact, THE SOLUTION? If not, I would have to not recommend this special at NewEgg for the everyday user here at DFI.

Thanks,

Dylan

Crucial didn't hold up their end of the deal, screwing more than a few customers or replacing their $350+ kits with $120 kits that were not even close to being as performance-oriented as the Ballistix

the big picture about this whole situation is that Crucial dropped the ball on a VERY LARGE NUMBER OF CUSTOMERS

something I cannot just ignore

I've already informed Jim @ Crucial that while he is my friend, Crucial will have zero promotion power here at DFI-Street until they've made right on every single customer, and even then I'm doubtful I'd allow it just because of how they've acted through this whole affair.

my own 4x1GB sticks are dead dead dead and they only shrug their shoulders at me....which is exactly how they acted to a good number of paying customers.

So, it doesn't really matter if these new modules are the best ever made. They made a lot of mortal enemies with their treatment of customers over the dying Ballstix before. That should alert you to exactly what kind of hassle you might or will have to go through if your new Crucial Ballistix goes bad.

HG,

Message received and understood.

So, this deal posted above is Your Milage May Vary (YMMV), and not really supported in any way by the powers that be.

I will run these through the paces though on my own, and post the results in the other ref'd thread.

Thanks!

Dylan

Crucial didn't hold up their end of the deal, screwing more than a few customers or replacing their $350+ kits with $120 kits that were not even close to being as performance-oriented as the Ballistix

I read about the sudden death syndrome of the Ballistix, mostly on XS.org, but all I can say is wow.............that's just plain wrong.

Yeah, I had two sets before this one die on me, and I had to pester them several times for them to send me my third set. My first one died in two months at 2.8v, the second one died after 7 months at 2.66v. I got this set in July and I've been running it at 255-265 MHz, 3-3-3-8, 2.66v without a problem. So far they're acting exactly the same as my second set, although I won't know for a while if they'll die or not.

I'm with H_G though, I probably wouldn't buy from Crucial again. The people that bought theirs from Newegg ended up getting their situation resolved (refunds up to a year after they were bought I think). I was impatient/stupid and bought them directly from Crucial instead of waiting for Newegg to get them in stock. I ended up paying a lot more AND I got the runaround from them for two months.

Sign in to follow this