Sign in to follow this  
yu777yu

Resolved - Strangest Problem ever. Can't post on Ultra-D..

Ok, straight to the problem. I can't post at all on the Lanparty nf4 Ultra-D and the ASUS A8N-SLI Boards. I get 3 Leds on the debug and repeating long beeps with 3 seconds in between.

Now I know people are guessing it's a ram problem but the ram runs rock stable on my other motherboard. My PSU and ram are on the recommended stickies. I also tested my PSU on my other system.

I tried placing 1 stick of ram in each DIMM slot, replacing the battery, and tried different brand sticks of ram. Nothing seems to work..

I had this exact issue on the ASUS board and is why I switched to this one. I RMA'd the ASUS board a long time ago and that didn't solve anything. I've been trying to get this new system up for months and each passing day I see the prices on my parts dropping like mad and it's driving me crazy!! I don't want to resort to the "D" word... AKA Dell.

EDIT: Sig here

_______

DFI LanpartyUT nF4 Ultra-D (Bios unknown)

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Newcastle

2x G.Skill 1GB PC3200 (Model #F1-3299PHU2-2GBNS)

EVGA Nvidia Geforce 6800 256MB PCI-E

SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum

Antec TRUEPOWER EPS12V/ ATX 12 Ver. 2.0 550W

Yea but did you test each stick in the slots on the board put 1 stick in the 1st slot see if it posts.. 1 stick in 2nd slot etc... That is definitely a memory issue if not Its the slots on the motherboard and its weird that would happen.. Well wait now what kind of memory is it because the board that it works on what kind of board is that.. Do the DFI and Asus support that memory list the Type and speed please and I'll get back to ya..

I have 2x G.skill memory (pc3200). I think this was a recommended ram by this forum. I should have it in my sig I don't know why my sig isn't showing.. I guess it's just the forum server delay or something.

Oh and to answer your question... I already tried sticking 1 piece of ram in each slot. I still get the repeating beeps no matter what.

EDIT: OK there goes the signature.

Are you sure that the cpu works?

I don't know. One thing I did try was taking out the CPU to see what kind of error I get. When I did that the board would not beep at all. So I assume the CPU is working but I am not 100% sure since I haven't tested it.

Guest BFG

It seems like its your psu. Do you know anyone who has a 939 cpu that you could use to test?

If not you may want to go to a pc shop and have them test it for you (It would be MUCH better to just borrow one though).

Hmm the PSU works fine on my Socket A mobo when I convert the 24 pin connector to 20 pin. I guess going to a PC shop is my only option.. I guess these people charge a lot for this service too sigh..

ok i'm gonna have to conclude that the board is dead. I don't see any other reason why. Ram, card, PSU works fine on other system.. the CPU i'm not sure. Oh well refund HERE I GO!!

yu,

Lets start from scratch here before you start replacing things or throwing them out the window. Pull everything from your case and do a minimal hardware build as tutored in the NF4 Build Guide (you can find linked in my sig). Pay special attention that all four power connections are made to the motherboard. Start with one single stick of memory in the orange slot closest to the top of the motherboard.

Do a full and proper CMOS clear as instructed by Ex Roadie (you can also find a link to that in my sig and it's titled "disaster recovery") Pay special attention to the placement of the m/b speaker jumper. An important step often overlooked. Also pay special attention to the insert/delete key sequence that sneaks you into the BIOS.

Once you can get past the darned 3-leds you'll need to spend some time browsing the Stock Speed Database and Socket939 OCDB looking for fellow forum members with same memory and cpu as yours. You can use their BIOS, voltage and memory timings as a starting point for manually entering values into yours. All of the posts in both of those threads are confirmed bootable and stable.

Once you can actually get a boot and drive detection, the very first thing I'd do is visit the BIOS factory (of course you'll need access to another PC probably) and make you a copy of TMOD's BIOS FLASH CD. It is a bootable .iso CD that will allow you to flash your BIOS with no heartache or heartburn. I'd personally recommend starting with the 0704-2bta BIOS revision, it is very forgiving for getting a first time boot.

Keep me posted.

Cheers.

Do a full and proper CMOS clear as instructed by Ex Roadie (you can also find a link to that in my sig and it's titled "disaster recovery") Pay special attention to the placement of the m/b speaker jumper. An important step often overlooked. Also pay special attention to the insert/delete key sequence that sneaks you into the BIOS.

Are you able to sneak into the bios without ram if you use this procedure? I tried a CMOS clear and I get the same problem.

I've never tried it without at least a single stick of RAM installed. You may have to do the CMOS clear for 8-24 hours or maybe even longer. Follow Ex Roadies guide to the letter.