Unable to load Windows XP

THis is my second computer build, my first was a pentium III. That should tell you how long it has been. Every time I try to load windows XP Media Center it freezes at the blue screen that says Setup is Starting Windows. I'm using an SATA drive and I'm loading the drivers that came with the motherboard. I followed all of the steps on the awesome post i found here and set up the bios according to it. I'm also using only the basics of my setup, one RAM stick, one video card, HD and CD/DVD rom, but it still doesn't work. A little history, I didn't start out with a DFI board, but an ASUS and I was able to load windows using that board no issues. But I then proceeded to scrape out one of the wires, don't ask how it's embarrasing. I decided to replace it with the DFI. Any suggestions?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BSOD on install is often a sign of memory problem, have you tried the 2T setting for you ram, ???

i had a pair of corsair that was giving me BSOD at 1T but was passing memtest all the night fine, after i set it up to 2T i was working like it was suppose to ...

ive never managed to get that pair of stick to work in 1T

Did you load the 4/06 bios straight away or did you load a prior one first. There's a qualifier on the DFI site about that bios updating only one thing or another -- go back and check it out. Think about loading the 3/06 bios, getting it stable, then move up to the 4/06. Also try 2T timing.

You say you loaded the drivers that came with the motherboard, so did it boot to the OS initially (to be able to install those drivers)? Does it boot to Safe Mode? I've had blue screen normal boots and OK safe mode boots, and it had something to do with the Nvidia Ethernet. I think I uninstalled the "network access manager" and Nvidia firewall and everything was then fine running with just the basic Ethernet driver. Disable the Marvell LAN in bios if you don't use it. Finally, the drivers that came with the board were old a year ago. Download the latest ones from Nvidia, especially the 6.86 WHQL and install those when you can.

I ran memtest until it went back to test #1. I believe the timing is set to 2T, per the post on this site. I'll try it with two sticks. The board came with the 4/06 bios. The windows install says to press F6 to load sata and raid drivers. It never boots to windows.

Thanks.

I ran memtest until it went back to test #1.

The proper procedure for testing with MemTest with 2GB of memory.

Run tests #5 and #8, 8-10 passes. If no errors run the complete set of tests for 8-10 hours.

Here is the URL for Corsair Memory's House of Help forums. http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdis...php?forumid=128

This URL is Corsair memory and DFI MOBO http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/search.php?searchid=620932

With Corsair value select memory:o and a finicky MOBO like your DFI expert in your configuration equation you might want to do some browsing there. Many individuals have had problems with the Expert version of the DFI LP UT NF4 motherboard, so don't feel alone.:)