Sign in to follow this  
ButtChew

Letting Prime Run - SD?

I want to run Prime95 overnight, but wanted to double check the safety of that. Lets say that 4 hours into Prime, my CPU or Chipset starts getting way too hot .... will Prime stop or shutdown? Also what are the reccomended tempatures to keep under for CPU, PWMIC, and Chipset.

Thx much

Just make sure you have the safe shutdown temperature in your bios on. it usually defaults to 60c. I like to take off both side panels when I prime overnight and have a big fan blowing directly on the mobo which helps greatly. make sure you read the faqs next time too; these questions get asked endlessly

Watch your temps for the first 30 min & that will pretty much tell you what your temps will be all night. Unless you have really bad airflow in your case, the temps will stablize pretty quickly.

As far as max temps go, I think the Opty's are rated to around 65c, but you should keep the temp below 55c (remember the old phrase '55 stay alive'). Personally, I never let my 170 see above 50, except for a few OC tests while trying to find the max, I think it hit around 58c on air.

I don't remember the exact max temps for the PWMIC and Chipset, but I know they are rated pretty high (like 80c or something). Just do a search for 'Max PWMIC temp' & Max chipset temp'. There have been a million threads here on that...

Prime will shut down only if there are errors, not if your temps get too high, but like JDMJOSH said, just set the shutdown temp in BIOS & you'll be fine.

Just make sure you have the safe shutdown temperature in your bios on. it usually defaults to 60c. I like to take off both side panels when I prime overnight and have a big fan blowing directly on the mobo which helps greatly. make sure you read the faqs next time too; these questions get asked endlessly

that sort of defeats the purpose of prime if you are finding 24/7 stable settings. I have speedfan set to speed up my fans to 100% when any temperature exceeds a preset amount (CPU 50C, chipset 50C, PWM 55C). Either way, if something gets too hot, it'll probably get unstable, prime will error, and the computer will idle and cool down ;)

Thx for the info guys. I put a fan next to my case just in case, no pun intended. Prime ran a good 8.5 hours without a problem. Max temps were around 40-42C on the CPU, 48-50C on the PWMIC, and 45-46 on the chipset so I was happy with that.