Review/build log: Thermaltake Extreme Spirit 2 Chipset Cooler with pic

Thraxz

Well, I took a plunge and invested in a new chipset cooler. The aformentioned Extreme Spirit 2 by TT.

picture021ms0.th.jpg

First Impression: It's an all copper HSF with a flat smooth base that would look at home on an old P3 processor not a chipset! The fan is only rated for 4500rpm.... WAY slower than the old 6k DFI sink... and 19dB. I'm hoping that it will hold up under real life. The heatpipes sure make it look serious. It also appears to be able be thin enough to fit inbetween a pair of SLIed cards sooo.... we'll see.

Here are a few shots to show it's shape and general dimensions.

picture028ga7.th.jpg

picture029ra5.th.jpg

picture030jc7.th.jpg

picture031to8.th.jpg

The base appears to be quite smooth. (I apologise for the shaky shot.)

picture044sf9.th.jpg

The hardware comes very complete, even including the foam surround that stock chipset sets have!

picture025zx5.th.jpg

The mounting system looks good and study as well as adjustable in many directions. How it works remains to be seen.

picture033nh4.th.jpg

Installatioin should be added at a later date.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right from the start, I knew I'd have to remove the motherboard completely to install this chipset cooler. I actually call this the hallmark of a quality cooler because the mounting system has typically been indicative of cooling performance. The sturdier the mount the better the cooler.

picture2003qe8.th.jpg

Here is a picture of the initial rig complete with the Vantec Iceberq chipset cooler that I upgraded too early with relatively dismal results. Only about 5C less than stock at my ambient (30C).

picture2004tb8.th.jpg

picture2008ya4.th.jpg

A few close up shots of the Vantec and how the airflow is blocked by the graphics card.

picture2010zj1.th.jpg

I decided to play it safe and just drain the cooling system except for the rad.

picture2014gm3.th.jpg

My trusty assistant, Leo, could not be found further than three feet away from my lap at all times.

picture2015hk4.th.jpg

Gooood kitty. (I hope you don't mind that I work on my comp in my boxers! Heh, keep in mind the 30C ambient.)

picture2016ub5.th.jpg

picture2017ct9.th.jpg

picture2018ut2.th.jpg

First thing's first, time to remove the various PCI cards.

picture2019ax6.th.jpg

picture2022bx9.th.jpg

Time to remove the the ol' water block, can't have that anchoring the mobo to the rig for this job.

picture2023mr6.th.jpg

Off she comes, simple as spinning off a few thumb nuts.

picture2024fm3.th.jpg

I find small lidded containers to be great for storing small parts like this. They are easy to see and keep parts from getting away.

picture2025je8.th.jpg

Oop, there's another one.

picture2026rt3.th.jpg

Here's a picture of all the items going to be used in this intall except the small phillips screw driver and small set of grips.

picture2027ma5.th.jpg

picture2030cv5.th.jpg

picture2031we9.th.jpg

From here on out I had to work with the rig laying flat. Here you see me taking the w/cing system out of the way.

picture2032bp4.th.jpg

I've found that when you have good cable management taking your mobo out is a snap. No tangles and no rewiring when you put it back. Everything knows its place.

picture2034uj7.th.jpg

By now I was getting a bit anxious and needed to relax... a few good tunes from Symphony X put me back into a workin' mood!

picture2037lb9.th.jpg

After the board is taken out, it's a simple squeeze and push to release the old cooler from the board.

picture2038zx9.th.jpg

Once released it lifts off easily.

picture2039qb2.th.jpg

Time to take out the part we've been saving in the capped container!

To be continued on post #6!!!

It's the time I've been waiting for! Prepping the HSF and installation!!!

picture2041lg2.th.jpg

The protective plastic cover on the base has to come off. And the base was fully reflective with the plastic STILL ON! Nice job TT.

picture2042no1.th.jpg

The little foam circle went on perfectly. Now that's what ALL coolers should come with!

picture2043zs7.th.jpg

With the HSF prepped as it should, I turned my attention back to the board by putting the long screws back into the mounting holes. It comes with 4 "paper dummies" to keep the board safe both from above and below.

picture2044eb2.th.jpg

Now I've got the mounting screws in.

picture2045yr8.th.jpg

Flipping the board over I screw on their locking nuts to firmly set the mounting screws in their place.

picture2047ai7.th.jpg

Screws in place! This is starting to remind me of a CPU heatsink install.

picture2048nu1.th.jpg

Now you just place the base over top of the screws using the oblong "washers" to locate the sink where needed. This little beauty of a system allows afor VERY flexible placement of the HS. Not only do the washers swing around to help slide the HSF to a proper placement, the two posts that are attached to the base swivel around about 60 degrees to allow angled installation. More on this later.

picture2049sj9.th.jpg

You can see how this is lining up. Looks tight but good non-the-less!

picture2050ob2.th.jpg

Still looks good. That top screw looks awful close!

picture2053vq4.th.jpg

Here you can see that swivelling base I spoke of earlier. It did come in handy later on!

picture2058tw2.th.jpg

Oh no! Disaster strikes! Apparently the voltage bridge HS on the x1900xtx protrudes too far and makes it so I have to move my HSF off kilter! A sad thing indeed. I had high hopes for this lovely little cooler. But wait! That little swivelling base allows it to work anyway!

picture2061hs0.th.jpg

While the cooler will sit well and cool that chipset the lower slot becomes blocked from the off kilter fins.

picture2062fq7.th.jpg

More blockage... I'm so sad...

picture2069tb0.th.jpg

Damn that ATi! I'm beginning to think that a good metal file would make me a happy man. Sadly that is not for today...

Good thing I'm running an ATi card on a SLI chipset. I don't need no stinkin' lower PCIe slot! [/cheech and chong.]

picture2072ry3.th.jpg

But look at what I -DID- do? Tubing control! I shortened the tubes about 6" over all to better route my water passages! This really made the room my W/C took up shrink where I needed it to.

picture2073hf6.th.jpg

Here's a pic of my rig all reassembled and happy to be alive! Temp snap shots to follow!

Hey sorry to thread crap but be SURE that your cat doesn't get into any of your liquid cooling fluid, because it would probably kill it. Nice install job on the nb cooler!

Now for the comparison! Here's my old Vantec chipset temp off of my old 3G entry!

ggggx1.th.jpg

WOW! Look at that temp! 52C at a very minimal load! (The 100 core was due to CPUz freaking out as usual.)

tempsek7.th.jpg

43C under load! And look at those cpu temps! I trimmed another C or two off of those while I was at it. So I saw a 10C drop in temp over a board favorite Vantec Iceberq chipset cooler at a paltry 2100RPM. Totally silent.

This is one serious chipset cooler! I've made a few runs of Aquamark3 in a row and saw a max of 45C that I could only see with MBM5's high/low log. Compared to my Vantec I got:

Condition---------------------------Vantec/TTES2

Idle-----------------------------------48C/43C

Dual Prime-----------------------------53C/43C

A graphics bench checked with MBM5---53C/45C

Conclusion: I said it before and I'll say it again... this is one serious cooler. The sheer stability of this product, both in build and exacution had me excited by itself, the performance really sold me. I've never doubted the power of copper heatpipes but this really reaffirmed for me their prowess.

The installation is simple and very good. It touched SOLIDLY to the chipset and wouldn't budge after tightened down. Some people might consider it a bad thing to have to take the MoBo out to install but you won't get that from me except as the passing nod to it as you are reading now.

The performance is phenomenal! I cannot express how impressed I really am with it. All comparisons aside, I think the delta C of 2C under load says it all... And to think that it's pulling numbers like this with the fans airflow being blocked by the graphics card.

The aesthetics are beautiful. The finish is lustrous and a very deep copper color as it should be. The blue fan glows brightly and is totally silent at said 2100RPMs. (Which never increased under load.)

Overall, I give this cooler a 4.9 out of 5. It does everything I want from it and more except it can't be used in SLI applications on the Ultra-D/SLI-D/DR boards. Heck, this little cooler might even work with other cards than the one I'm messing with. Either way, I'm 99%certain that it would work well in both the eXpert, CFX3200 and new lanparty AM2 boards. If you need a chipset cooler in a non-SLI rig look no further!