just bought a 3100 palermo

Clawhammer

hello everyone im new here and thought i might get some insight.i was just wonderning what i can expect outta my new palermo 3100 (will be here in a few days). i would love to be stable at 2.7. i am using a thermaltake typhoon hs and a antec fan. i will have some crucial pc-4000 ram shortly aswell.the cpu and ram is fairly inexpensive thats why the purchase. i know i need new rig but this has gotta do for another year or so when i can afford sum pc -8500 ram lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sexercise

My 2800+ Palermo (really a Venice) can hit 2.8Ghz on 1.78Vcore.

That is too hot for me, so I run at 2.4Ghz at 1.45V the majority of the time. Never breaks 40.

2.7 is more realistic at around 1.7v I have run my 2600 at 2760 for over a year at 1.8v ( not by choice I have no control over it) with a BT and never sees over 38c only 754 I have seen to hit 3 gig was the 4000+

thanks. i do believe the cpu I'm receiving is a Venice.SDA3100AIO3BA stepping

D0.I plan on running this cpu as high as i can, for as long as i have the machine.at this point i dont care about voltages or temps.i have only 1 experience with a 2600+ 754 and it was good, however it was on a cheap msi board with no voltage changing abilities.But that combo benched at 270 fsb with ddr400 running at a 56. cpu was only 2160 but only because it was in a Msi .Wait till i get that sempy 9nm in the king of the 754 my lanparty hooah.

And i jut made my mind up next about my next platform.It will be the lanparty socket 775 with rd600 chipset.Lots of people already criticizing the idea but i love it and i think if you own a 775 board this is definitely 1 of the best to have.

thanks. i do believe the cpu I'm receiving is a Venice.SDA3100AIO3BA stepping

D0.I plan on running this cpu as high as i can, for as long as i have the machine.at this point i dont care about voltages or temps.i have only 1 experience with a 2600+ 754 and it was good, however it was on a cheap msi board with no voltage changing abilities.But that combo benched at 270 fsb with ddr400 running at a 56. cpu was only 2160 but only because it was in a Msi .Wait till i get that sempy 9nm in the king of the 754 my lanparty hooah.

And i jut made my mind up next about my next platform.It will be the lanparty socket 775 with rd600 chipset.Lots of people already criticizing the idea but i love it and i think if you own a 775 board this is definitely 1 of the best to have.

Only time will tell wether or not the RD600 will be "king" of the 775's...why anyone would criticize you for going Conroe makes one wonder...AMD Fanboys perhaps?

Anyway, don't "expect" too much from the 3100 though it sounds like yer gonna throw caution to the wind and beat the snot out of it...Have fun...

I managed to get a HTT of 275 out of my 3100 sempron using a MSI Neoplat @ 1.65 vcore.

The only problem you might run into is the mem.... mine worked fine w/ 2 X 512, but bumping up to 2 X 1 gig proved too much for it and it wouldn't do (1t) at anything above 240. (That's why I moved to the san diego core... :) ).

It is in fact a 1.8ghz stock chip. a 1.2ghz increase is expecting wayyy too much for it to handle---unless at insane voltages. I've been playing with mine on an ABIT NF8V-Pro board I got when I traded my brother for them and gave him a 3000+ Venice and a Soltek K8T890 Pro motherboard. That board was rock solid all the way up to 287mhz before it would crap out on me with my 3000+ Venice.

But anyways....to the point. I've got the 3100+ palmero currently doing 2.4ghz via [email protected]. To get to even 2.5ghz it requires a nice increase up to 1.66v which is just too high for me to handle. Those chips are rated at 1.4v. It is indeed a cheap cpu but I just cant imagine giving it that much voltage for a 100mhz increase in speed. Rest assured, others may go higher, although most reviewers seemed to top out around 2.62ghz---i think either legithardware or anandtech did that with it and it performed really well...outpaced a 4000+ in some cases. You're gonna be lucky to hit 2.5 realistically and 2.6 and above would be a godsend. I've been torturing the hell out of it and it WILL go a little higher using 2T.

Mine is an abit nf7-v pro [maybe not an 8 either way its an nforce3 ultra blah blah chip] and its got plenty of options...kind of lacking in memory dept though. I've got it coupled with a 1GB kit of Corsair XMS2 2-3-3-6 PC3200. Though the mem won't scale well even with 2.8v or at looser[?] timings. But it is rock solid at 2.4ghz and gives my 3000+ that I had at 2.25ghz a run for its money in some things. I haven't bother priming it as its only a secondary pc that I don't care about but here is a basic ss here. It won't even post with timings any tighter at 1T.

other.jpg

All I can tell you is good luck and let us know how it goes....its possible I overlooked something. But I don't have any actual friends that do any major overclocking at all. So the only input I get is from the forums. BTW this is running the stock cooler that came with it else maybe I'd crank voltages a little.