unstable 2.9GHZ oc

i tested my 290x10oc and tested using sp2004 briefly for a litmus test and it seems to have failed for core 2 only. core 1 was fine.

currently using settings as per happygames or rgone's recommended settings.

dram 2.65v

chipset 1.6v

ldt 1.3v

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 300

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - 3x

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - 10x

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 105Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - 1.500v

CPU VID Control............................... - 1.500v

CPU VID Special Control....................... - 109.6%

LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.40v

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.52v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.68v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 10

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 4

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 8

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 3

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 11 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 16 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 01 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 4128 Cycles

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. - auto

DQS Skew Value................................ - 0

DRAM Drive Strength........................... - level 7

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... - 3

Max Async Latency............................. - 8.0ns

DRAM Response Time............................ - Normal

Read Preamble Time............................ - 5ns

IdleCycle Limit............................... - 16 Cycles

Dynamic Counter............................... - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. - 16 x

Bypass Max.................................... - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity........................... - Disable(4 Bursts)

i am running these settings at 2.88Ghz and like what happened before i lower fsb from 290 to 288, core 1 failed pretty soon.

currently core 1 lasted till Test2 before failing while core 2 goes on strong! before i lowered the fsb frm 290 to 288, core 1 would only last till Test 1 before failing but core 2 goes on strong/

max temps for both cores running is 56-58degC

Sounds like memory settings to me if the core stability changes like that. Temps could be your problem as well. My chip doesn't like over 40C.

now i raised the vcore slightly from 1.5x 109.6% to 112% and the reverse happens???

i mean both cores under prime at 1.65vcore shld they be hot?

max temps for both cores running is 56-58degC

That's hot for water cooling. Unless you can find a way to lower the temps you probably aren't going to get it stable.

any suggestions ? i'm already in an air-conditioned room, 2x120mm rad,

What kind of cpu block & rad do you have?

Your temps are definately too high, especially for water & are probably a major factor in your instability.

How did you arrive at 2.9? Seems like you may be working backwards if you tried 2.9 THEN 2.88.

My suggestion is to start over & find your Max CPU. Put your ram on a divider so its not running out of spec, lower your volts to work your way up. You ought to be able to do ~2.6 on relatively low volts, unless you got a really bad chip. It is better to work your way up to see what your chip can do, rather than start at the speed that you want it to do & try to make it stable.

What kind of cpu block & rad do you have?

Your temps are definately too high, especially for water & are probably a major factor in your instability.

How did you arrive at 2.9? Seems like you may be working backwards if you tried 2.9 THEN 2.88.

My suggestion is to start over & find your Max CPU. Put your ram on a divider so its not running out of spec, lower your volts to work your way up. You ought to be able to do ~2.6 on relatively low volts, unless you got a really bad chip. It is better to work your way up to see what your chip can do, rather than start at the speed that you want it to do & try to make it stable.

danger den tdx

cool-trek Dp1202

laing d5 pump

i tried to lower the HTT bit by bit to see the stable point so far i;ve gotten to 2.85Ghz. at 1.65vcore.

i noticed if i primed core2 then prime core 1 a few seconds apart, then it would fail within minutes.

but if i start priming core 1. then after it passes the test 1 (which is a few mins later) start priming core 2, prime95 can go on without errors for 2hrs plus before failing.

the max this chip can go is 3.05Ghz. that is failing occt(not to mention prime95)

on stock vcore, it can reach 2.7ghz and pass occt though i didnt try prime95 before attempting higher clock speeds.

danger den tdx

cool-trek Dp1202

laing d5 pump

i tried to lower the HTT bit by bit to see the stable point so far i;ve gotten to 2.85Ghz. at 1.65vcore.

i noticed if i primed core2 then prime core 1 a few seconds apart, then it would fail within minutes.

but if i start priming core 1. then after it passes the test 1 (which is a few mins later) start priming core 2, prime95 can go on without errors for 2hrs plus before failing.

the max this chip can go is 3.05Ghz. that is failing occt(not to mention prime95)

on stock vcore, it can reach 2.7ghz and pass occt though i didnt try prime95 before attempting higher clock speeds.

one last option you can do is try to remount the block again and or take of the IHS ;)

[email protected] is about as far it will go i believe.. do not, i repeat do not raise the vcore more than 1.65v unless you want your core to live.