Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

strange prob with new cpu

g'day guys.......

just replaced my old 3500+ with a 4600+ dual core now system is very unstable. sometimes when I boot up I get a long then a short beep which indicates a m/b prob I think, and sometimes I have to reset CMOS to get it to run at all. anyone had this happen to them after installing a new cpu????? I've also run the patch from AMD for dual cores.

cheers

Did you clear your CMOS and load optimized defaults prior to changing the CPU? If not, you may be running at the wrong voltage or something.

Hmmm...if i were you, I'd make an 80 gig partition on your hard drive and do a clean install of Windows on it. Sometimes an install on a single core will balk at a dual core being injected into the system.

The other thing; are you using a volume license or Service Pack 1 release of XP? There is an issue with any install that has to be upgraded to SP2 not functioning correctly with dual core processors. If this is the case, I recommend Slipstreaming your compy to include SP2 right out of the install. This usually seems to solve the issue.

Let us know what's happening, and we'll do our best to help you out.

Clean install with SP2 for starters, then your settings are gonna be diff in bios as well with new cpu........

new CPU = new memory controller. You'll have to MemTest your RAM all over again, as the secondary timings may have changed. I'd also probably try to put at least 1.35V through that x2 to get it stable at stock?

Actually, I'm running my FX-60 at 1.25 volts, dual folding stable for days, hehe. But I understand it's different for each cpu. Well, first step, you need to either slipstream your install or get ahold of an SP2 version of the CD, put the new CPU back in and reinstall like it's a new buid, because it basically is. And Ganders is 100% right, you have a different memory controll IC in an X2 core than a K8 single core, and that spells doom for your stability.

Don't give up, I had to install 7 times on my first DFI build, so I know that it's frustrating. Give a fresh install a try(yes, you have to format, I'm afraid), and see if that doesn't solve the issue.

Don't reinstall. Just go to hardware properties and remove the CPU and reboot. It'll load the correct drivers.

Also do what everyone else suggested -- clear CMOS, load optimzied defaults, and retest your memory, etc.

g'day guys.......

just replaced my old 3500+ with a 4600+ dual core now system is very unstable. sometimes when I boot up I get a long then a short beep which indicates a m/b prob I think, and sometimes I have to reset CMOS to get it to run at all.

Reinstalling Windows or drivers is not going to have any effect on the above problem, As already stated, a new processor means starting over. With all stock settings run Memtest tests #5 and #8, 8-10 passes each. If error free then run the complete set of tests 8-10 hours. If after this there are no errors then it's time to start testing for stability in Windows.

I agree -- why I said that he needed to do the rest of what was suggested here. I was commenting on the the need to reinstall windows when you change processors. He doesn't need to unless the install has become corrupted.