Sign in to follow this  
Walter

nf4 Ultra-d limitations?

Should I be able to use 4x1GB dual channel OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K DIMMs and get 4GB of memory? I understand I need to change the timings to 2T to use the yellow slots but the system is currently showing that I only have 2GB of memory.

If you search the forum, you'll find a lot of information on this subject. Getting four sticks to run is problematic at best, a nightmare at worst. If all four sticks are not identical, then you have all sorts of timing issues that you have to solve. Even if the four sticks are the same brand, they can be different revisions. This can also lead to problems.

Also, unless you are running Win x64, your system will not see all 4GB. WinXP can only recognize 3GB.

Search the forum and you will get a lot of recommendations on what to try.

Yes I did a search on the forum and there did not appear to be an answer. I found the magic search term to be 4x1GB as opposed to 4GB or anything else.

If it is worth a canned reply to go search, perhaps it is worth having a sticky topic that summarizes the memory issues?

In my search, I found answers to

a) why can't I get all 4GB - OS and memory hole issues

B) why can't I boot - set to 2T

c) why is it unstable - long thread on various settings

I did not find the answer to why is it only seeing 2GB and not more than 2GB. The fact is that on POST, it is claiming only 2GB.

i would suggest to clear cmos and reseat the 4 stick,

if it still dont work you could try contacting some members here that had 4 stick working on those board

did you enable mimo in bios?

Yes.

I am NOT having a problem seeing between 3GB and 4GB of RAM. When I boot and it does a memory detect, it only sees 2GB.

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K is that part number Performance Edition or Platinum Edition...

One of those sets of memory or one of the sticks in one of the sets has an SPD that does not match the rest of the sticks so it is not recognizing but 2gigs...Do not mix the two sets together since you need to find out what SPD the sticks have...

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....08&postcount=11 OCZ tech walks user thru testing SPD.

Clear the CMOS on the board

Insert 1 stick into the orange slot furtherest from the CPU on DFI NF4.

Go into the bios and set the 4 main timings (CAS-Trcd-Trp-Tras) to Auto then save and exit.

Boot to Memtest. Get memtest here: www.memtest.org

Note the timings that are displayed

(info on what you should see is here:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/sho...98&postcount=6)

Now power down the machine

Clear the CMOS again and swap sticks (replace with other stick and again put it in the same slot)

Now power up and again boot to memtest.

Note the timings....are they the same as the other stick?

Basics of verifying the SPD...

RGone...:confused:

Should I be able to use 4x1GB dual channel OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K DIMMs and get 4GB of memory? I understand I need to change the timings to 2T to use the yellow slots but the system is currently showing that I only have 2GB of memory.

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K is that part number Performance Edition or Platinum Edition...

platinum.

ok. Thanks for the information, So I believe what is being said is that even though I ordered the exact same part number, the memory may actually be different and that is what is causing these problems. 4x1GB of these sticks should work so I should test the new memory and make sure that nothing is wrong with them.