My first overclock (opteron 146)

I got my processor to 2.8ghz prime stable 8 hours then my ram was only stable at 215mhz

so I'm runnin it at 140= FSB 07/10

I ran it at 2-2-2-5 as that's what it's rated. I hear about playing around with the timings but what should I do. Sry if this sounds nubbish.

fyi ran benchies and stuff but what impressed me is the source stress test,

it was 160 before the overclock and is 202 now

In a case like this Memtest is your friend...Use the cd version...

See how high you can get it...then try loosening the timings to see if it can go higher...to get the most out of it you may have to mess with the secondary timings which isnt hard...or leave them at auto (what I do) and settle for that...

I went from 2-2-2-5 to 2-3-3-6 to 2.5-3-3-7 then onto 3-4-4-8 and thats where I am at now....but that doesnt mean you'll be able too...all ram is different...

good luck...

From the Archives

from what i can tell, there's absolutely no difference between TCCD and TCC5...they clock exactly the same and have the same characteristics

Your right OCZ uses TCC5 in PC5000 modules but they haven’t as of yet used them in the PC4800 or PC4400 line, your also right about there being 2 different TCC5 versions "F" and "E" OCZ as AndyOCZ stated they only use the "F" series of TCC5 which they say is the better version.

Here is an old review of TCC5 on anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=1998&p=2

Rogueblowtorch and Computerman41

Your partly right but from any OCZ rep. you'll hear they dont speed bin but rather just set at desired speeds but yeah since they do have PC4400/4800 series of TCCD based modules your taking your chance with Rev.2. Before they even decided to change the Rev.2 to TCC5 the latest modules of TCCD that they were sent couldn’t do very tight timings [2-2-2-x] at DDR400 [which is pretty much true...just like most winbond CH-x modules for an example] but they could overclock quite well, and you can find them in PC4400/4800 modules [also stated by andyOCZ] since most TCC5 can do tight timings at DDR400 I think that why they switch from TCCD to TCC5. So yeah for the default speeds [DDR400 2-2-2-x] most TCC5 are better then regular TCCD but "handpicked" is different story entirely. My personal experience with TCC5 is that it can clock just as well as most TCCD but with looser timings.

Also, I can't confirm this but to tell if your Rev.2 is TCCD or TCC5 there is a "v1.1" on the sticker on the memory sticks right next to the memory timings.

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/show...3&postcount=25

I got my processor to 2.8ghz prime stable 8 hours then my ram was only stable at 215mhz

so I'm runnin it at 140= FSB 07/10

I ran it at 2-2-2-5 as that's what it's rated. I hear about playing around with the timings but what should I do. Sry if this sounds nubbish.

fyi ran benchies and stuff but what impressed me is the source stress test,

it was 160 before the overclock and is 202 now

The source test means nothing tbh. Run some raytracing or the 3dmark 03/05/06 tests before and after.