Why People Curse/Swear/Cuss

Polizei

Swearing is so common these days, I don’t think I even hear it half the time. I try to be conscious about who I’m around when I swear, but I know I blow it without realizing it. When I was 17 (mid 60's) I took my best friend to my favorite aunt’s house one day, and we played Chinese Checkers for a couple of hours. When we left, my friend told me I said sh** 3 times. I was blown away, and have never forgot that, cause I was trying to be good, and not swear around my favorite aunt.

I’m around kids a lot as I cover sports as a photographer for the local paper. Even grade school kids swear. Sometimes it bugs me, but I try not to let it bother me. Recently a player came back to the sidelines during a football game and said to the coach “that f***er stepped on my foot". Last game some kid (a heck of a lot bigger than me) came back to the sidelines walking funny. When he made it to the sidelines, he doubled over and said “s***. I just got kicked in my f***ing balls”.

Another thing that happened last year that sticks with me. My better half’s son is going to a large college. We went to visit him once last year, and we were driving him to class after having breakfast out. There were some college kids on bicycles, and traffic was weird. My other half waited for only part of the bicycles to go before she went, sort of cutting off one off the bicycles. The bicyclist yelled “Watch where you’re f***ing going you dumb mother f***er”. My better half’s son, who is a computer nerd, and does not drink, swear, smoke, or party, said from the back seat “You can tell he isn’t an English major”. Great comment, and got me to laugh.

Yea, what they say on TV today would have some TV producers from the 50's and 60's rolling around in their graves.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like I said earlier I try not to swear. My friends drop it a lot and it is annoying.

I did say the f bomb and the . a few times modding my case a few minutes ago (******* front cover wouldn't come off)

Guest RohypnoL

Cussing is perfectly fine as long as it's not used so much that it becomes immature. ex: saying **** every ******* other ******* word. I think cussing is a great way to make a point that regular words just can't, to get someone's attention, or to make a joke funnier.

Nothing beats a great "dick joke"!

I agree *nodding*

I think everybody aready know what does f*** ,or any other imaginable bad word means right ?

If you know how what is it and you know not to use it ,

So what is the point of censoring ?

As far as censorship goes, the list of bad words that you cannot say is constantly changing. Back in 1939 in the movie Gone With The Wind, Rhett Butler said to Scarlett O'Hara "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn". Everyone was shocked because it was the first time the cuss word "damn" was used in a movie. We've come a long way since then, and one day I'm sure the F word will no longer be censored.

One thing I've noticed about censorship is the fact that when you bleep something it brings more attention to it than it may have otherwise. Because of that, children become more fascinated with the question of "what did they say?". Once you learn that some words are prohibited, you may think the worst whenever you heard a bleep even when it's something completely innocent. Here is a perfect example.

As far as censorship goes, the list of bad words that you cannot say is constantly changing. Back in 1939 in the movie Gone With The Wind, Rhett Butler said to Scarlett O'Hara "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn". Everyone was shocked because it was the first time the cuss word "damn" was used in a movie. We've come a long way since then, and one day I'm sure the F word will no longer be censored.

One thing I've noticed about censorship is the fact that when you bleep something it brings more attention to it than it may have otherwise. Because of that, children become more fascinated with the question of "what did they say?". Once you learn that some words are prohibited, you may think the worst whenever you heard a bleep even when it's something completely innocent. Here is a perfect example.

"Yes, sir. No ma'am. [*unnecessary bleep*]-k you." :D

Personally, I dont swear or curse or what ever you want to call it.

Others around me at work do, almost every other word, to which I am not offended.

If they want to use it let them.

It does get tireing to hear though, I dont think it's a projection or ones intelligence, I think it's because there to lazy to think of something other then a swear to say.....

I do get offended when one of my kids say it, then they get mad at me.....heh

Sometimes when I'm on Myspace and I don't want to catch hell from my Protestant friends I'll jokingly use the term *unnecessary bleep* instead of a regular *bleep*. It kind of suggests that maybe I didn't "really" say a bad word (although I don't really say anything in cases like this but you get the point) but it also makes the point that all bleeps are, in fact, unnecessary. Sometimes if I have to bleep an audio sample I'll similarly use humorous sounds instead of just bleeps.