Why People Curse/Swear/Cuss

Polizei

Well, my mom always told me that people swear because they don't have a large enough vocabulary to get their point across without resorting to vulgarities (i.e. it shows a lack of intelligence)

I have to agree with your mom

and I swear more than any of you

I don't like it, but it's bad habit

what's worse is when you do it around some 7 year old kids, like I've caught myself doing (and catch others doing all the time).

at the same time, they are just words. If you let words offend you, you are thin-skinned and weak-minded.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but i have to disagree on simply using it without any consideration to people around u....

example

i like to say the f word if i got really "pissed" of or suprised or...well u get the idea.../QUOTE]

Nobody will accuse me of being a prude, but there is a time and place for everything.

To show where our society is headed, I can remember when you wouldn't have been able to use the word "pissed" in public without ridicule.

A good friend of mine always said using profanity simply showed my "stupidity/ignorance:rolleyes: ", because my vocabulary was not adequate.

It is your call!!

I rarely watch network television, but nowadays you will hear words like butt and classy lady or similar. Back in the 50's you could not even show a woman's belly button without people getting all worked up.

I think the USA has it's preverbialy head up it's butt when it comes to TV. Other countries are alot more slack and don't get half as uptight as the USA does.

Go out and be in public, you will hear someone or see something that might upset you. It's life folks, too short to waste time worrying if little 7 yr old Johhny hears a swear word or sees a woman breastfeeding.

I dont get upset with people say it, unless they are being rude about it.

1st post example with the hammer .. I would be using the hole list I know and then streaming one or two together for the F##K the F##King F##K that hurt expression.

I have kids and I told my oldest daughter (17) to STFU got the dropped Jaw and she was quite after that.

There are times when I am cusing at another drive I do feel that I abuse it.

Where it makes a different is when every other word out of 7-year old Johnny's mouth is f***. I'll take offense to some kid being disrespectful and not knowing any better.

Sure, cursing can be used for emphasis. But how many other adverbs and adjectives are there? More than enough to make a "four letter word" conversation boring. I'm going to find something better with my time than listen to that. You can have a conversation with your verbally-challenged friends.

Not to say you won't hear expletives come out of my mouth when I take a layer of skin off a finger with a belt sander...but that may be one of the few times I will swear.

I just find it unprofessional. Depending on whose mouth it comes from it can be disrespectful...and even immature.

All I'm saying, is the context of the conversation should determine the appropriateness.

haha state people hung up on stupid . you should watch MTV here. Or TV .... MTV commercial says IF you don't like MTV go ---- yourself :D

You got 50 people out infront of a . toy shop boycoting the place Hmmm were do there kids come from ????

I'm not convinced that swearing is a sign of stupidity, ignorance, or a lack of vocabulary. I like to think I have a decent vocabulary, and I still swear on occasion. I've also know intelligent and unintelligent people who swear, and intelligent and unintelligent people who do not like to swear.

I think stereotyping people who swear as stupid etc. is itself a demonstration of ignorance. People have the belief that swearing is bad (which they're entitled to) but they feel this need to impose that belief on everyone else so they start grasping at straws to try to make their point. It seems to me that people from all walks of life swear. Maybe it seems like more unintelligent people swear, but that could be because there are more unintelligent people out there than intelligent ones (IMO)

I wonder how often the great minds of humanity swore (as applicable to their time period) e.g. Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Newton, etc. Or, to tackle the small vocabulary argument, how often literary giants swore e.g. Steinbeck, Dickens, Hemingway, etc.

It all come from people that cant deal with society And have to blame it on something other then them-self. In today's society there's no room for closed minded people.

If you don't like me its because you don't know me and you base your opinion on assumptions rather then facts Or your nabor think im a bad person so there for you must be. GO away

haha state people hung up on stupid . you should watch MTV here. Or TV .... MTV commercial says IF you don't like MTV go ---- yourself :D

You got 50 people out infront of a . toy shop boycoting the place Hmmm were do there kids come from ????

totally different culture than america