DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert

Hey, i recently built my first gaming computer and i am having one major problem with it. Ive installed windows, and when i go to play any game ie AOE3, F.E.A.R, Half-Life 2, Battlefield 2, it will play for a while (anywhere between 5-30mins) and then all of a sudden, it will either drop back to the desktop, or it will reboot. I then get a windows error msg that says its recovered for a serious error. When i send the error report into microsoft, it says that its a driver problem. Thats all well and good, but i cant figure out which driver it is. i thought that maybe i have dodgy ram and that has corrupted my install, but i am unsure. I can leave the comp idleing all day, and it will b fine, but as soon as i start to load up the system (by running multiple programs ie 2 DVD Shrinks + Windows Media Player) its reboots, so i also thought that it might be an overheating prob. ANY help would be very much apprieciated.

DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert

AMD 4600+ X2 CPU

1x1Gb RAM

NVidia 7900 GT 512Mb

Samsung 150Gb Harddrive

LG Lightscribe DVD-Ram Drive

Hello,

What power supply do you have?

Do not just say the wattage, also state the manufacturer and model.

And your memory, 1 stick of 1GB.

Make/model would help.

Did you plug all the power connectors into the board?

- 24pin ATX connector

- 8pin +12v EPS connector

- molex connector near the top PCIe slot.

Also the memory if you are using 1 stick, it must be placed in dimm slot 2 (should be orange)

What version of the Nvidia Drivers are you running? 7x.xx, 8x.xx, or 91/92?

Actually I'll make it simple if your not running 91 or 92 series drivers, thats what your problem is...everything before 91/92 series drivers had issues with X2 CPUs.

could it maybe b that im running 91.47? When i go to the driver download page on the Nvidia website, i choose graphic drivers -> then should i choose 'Geforce and TNT2' or 'GeForce Go 7 Series' (im running a 7900GT 512Mb)? thanks.

could it maybe b that im running 91.47? When i go to the driver download page on the Nvidia website, i choose graphic drivers -> then should i choose 'Geforce and TNT2' or 'GeForce Go 7 Series' (im running a 7900GT 512Mb)? thanks.

Geforce TNT2..and I have yet to experience issues with the 91.47 drivers with any games using an Ultra-D, Expert, or SLI-DR with 7900GT(s), 7950GT(s), and a 7900GTX...I think its either temps or memory instability....

Also are you running with the latest patches installed?

all my games are patched up to date. maybe ill try to replace my ram. i have smart guardian running, and the CPU runs about 34C and the CHIPSET runs at about 48C. maybe ill also graph my temps while i play a games so that i can see how the temp change. i tried swapping my PSU over to a different one, but the same things happened, so its not the PSU.

Guest AzN_plyR

Which slot are you placing the ram in? It must be in the orange slot farthest away from the cpu to have it work properly, I have the same board.

i have gotten sick of mucking around with an expensive comp that has taken my ages to get together. Ive tried everything and have racked everyones brains that i could. in the end, the only thing i can put it down to is dodgy ram. So i went to the sticky on this website that recommends ram, and i bought 2x1Gb sticks of OCZ DDR PC-4000 2GB Dual Channel Platinum XTC RAM (3-3-3-8). hopefully this will solve my problems (the way i figure it, i need to build another comp for my sister when i get the chance, so atleast i have extra ram to play with (if the old ones are ok that is).

ps. while i was buying that, i felt rich so i bought a sound blaster X-Fi Platinum Sound card.

Once it has been delivered, i will test it all out and will get back to you with the results.