Sign in to follow this  
sstrunks84

Unusually High Volts

I have an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500w power supply. I'm not sure how a power supply works but my 12v rail is constantly running at 12.34 volts. I want to know if this is a problem. I just received a new power supply because my last one failed for an unknown reason. Could it be because of this over-voltage? Also, since this is a modular power supply, do I need to plug certain hardware into the "right" sockets or is any socket good for any part? I would appreciate it if someone would help me out because I don't want my power supply to fail again. Also, does overclocking have any effect on the power supply? Could that screw up my power supply? Thanks.

Overclocking can be a strain on your power supply if it isn't up to the task of delivering the amount of juice you need. Or rather, it could begin to have a severe enough ripple that it could damage components on your computer. Also if you force and underpowered PSU to run an overclocked system, you run the risk of having it operate at its max power all the time, which will wear out its components and reduce its life.

At least this is my understanding of it...

In the case of your PSU, you're probably pushing it, that's pretty much the bare minimum PSU you can get away with and you have a power hungry system. Was the last PSU you had the same model??

Anyways, as for plugging certain lines in, I don't think it would matter unless that PSU has two rails, in which case you want to keep them as balanced as possilble. If it only has a single rail it should make any difference, just use the ones that you need.

And having it run at 12.34 is fine, but you should watch to see how much (if any) it drop under a heavy load (like Prime).

yer 12.34 is no problem, mine (according to software which we dont trust neways) is at 12.6v so dont worry.

My understanding is the ATX 2.2 standard indicates that the 12V rail should stay within +/-5% of 12.00 (ie. 11.4 - 12.6), although these really have to be measured with a DMM when under load... Also, when under peak loading this can go out to +/-10%, so 10.8 - 13.2.

You can try to test ur PSU voltage with those PSU tester (like 20 bucks). Then send an email to the manufacture to ask them if the voltage you are getting within the acceptable range. Personally, I believe 12.34 is too high. The voltage should be within the +-5~+-10% tolerance range.

Personally, I believe 12.34 is too high. The voltage should be within the +-5~+-10% tolerance range.

12.34 is less the 3%. :confused: