Sign in to follow this  
OtisN89

Problems after BIOS Flash.

Two days ago I made a CD with Tmods BIOS Flash Utility on it and tried to change to the 406bta BIOS in an attempt to gain more overclockability. It worked but I only got about 50MHz so I tried teh 704bta, which seemed to make the temps really high, so I deciced to go back to stock. So I put in Tmods CD and flash 11/14/05.

Heres where it gets weird. And stupid.

First thing I notice is that the "LAN Party NF4" Logo that appears at startup isn't there. I first noticed it was gone when I flashed to 704bta, but assumed it was part of the new BIOS and expected it to return with the switch back, but alas. So, I decide to do a CMOS clear to maybe return that to normal, but now after the minute or so CMOS clear the logo is still absent and now the computer states that it is in safe mode and my CPU fan can't decide if it wants to run or not. Because the fan kept switching on and off I shut it down restarted, and now the fan runs, it still says safe mode, I hit F1 to continue and get into windows, which seems to start slow. Then I see my background with no icons or taskbar and no programs start as they normally would. So I did another CMOS clear overnight, and today I got the same stuff.

I can still run programs from Task Manager, and they all seem to work. So I was wondering if anyone knows what happened and how to fix it, even though I'd be surprised if anyone bothered to read all that crap, sorry for writing so much. I'd really appreciate the help, thanks.

The Lanparty logo display is a setting within BIOS that you can enable or disable. Also, are you following the instructions on the CMOS clear after flashing the BIOS? The one that takes 10 minutes?

I wrote down the steps for the CMOS clear from a post by ExRoadie. And I don't really care about the logo, the bigger problem is my desktop, not being there.

The bios flash backwards from that later bios, DID NOT take well...you need to download and use one or the other of these to flash from DOS with a floppy...

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NF4LDB14.ZIP

A:>awdflash NF4LDB14 /sn /py /cc /cd /cp /cks /qi /ld /wb /e

The bios will flash and come back to A:> and you can type again the same commands and flash again and then after that you can begin to reboot...shutdown and clear the cmos...you should have the bios flashed correctly then...

RGone...:confused:

Thanks RGone. How do I use that zip file, I just copy the files onto a floppy? Does it have to be formatted or anything special? I don't know too much about that kinda thing.

I tried this twice now and first got "Improper Disk" and then "NTLDR Missing". I was using WinRAR to extract the contents of the .zip file to a floppy.

@OtisN89

You have to make the floppy bootable before copying the files to it.

The instructions are in the BIOS Factory forum.

Thanks ExRoadie. Couldn't find it on the forums but I googled it and made a boot disk. And when I booted from the disk it went right to the Flashing screen and it says Please Wait. Its been there for about 2 hours now and I don't want to turn the power off because all I've ever heard is not to turn it off durring flashing BIOS, even though i'm not sure what its doing.

Anyone know if its safe to shut it down, or do you have other suggestions?

Yeah, you have a problem there if it's not completing the flash in just a few minutes.

Try another short Clear CMOS then attempt to flash again.

Or >> Revision A

Date Code 2005/11/14

File NF4LDB14.exe

Size 829,743 bytes

Description DiamondFlash Image for BIOS.

Please Click Here if you are not familiar with the procedure of Diamond Flash Image!!

Major Reasons of Change:

Support AMD Athlon 64 FX60 CPUs.

Link: http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NF4LDB14.exe

This information applied to :BIOS Flash

Doc. No. FAQ Latest

Date

30001902 How to flash BIOS with Diamond Flash Image? I find this Image file on some models. 2004/07/14

Answer :

Diamond Flash Image is unique feature developed by DFI to facilitate users flashing BIOS. User does not have to run the complicated procedures, but just flash the BIOS as an easy job.

1. Prepare one piece of clean floppy diskette.

2. Run the BIOS (.exe) file from website directly or copy it to HDD to run.

3. It will image to floppy disk drive "A" including flash utility, BIOS file along with instruction and create booting program automatically.

4. Boot up the system from FDD. It will automatically flash the BIOS.

5. Press "F1" as instructed when completing the flashing.

6. Run "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Setup Defaults" in BIOS after completing the BIOS flashing.

All this stuff is on the DFI site at downloads for the bios files...if you been there all you got to do is look around...

just remember that is a different download file (.exe) that I linked this time...not same file as the zip previously...

That worked in that it flashed the BIOS but I still don't have taskbar or icons on my desktop. I'm begging to think this isn't related to BIOS. Any other ideas?