Sign in to follow this  
knopflerbruce

DFI Expert mobo problem

Get an OCZ GXS 700W & end this non-sense, that RaidMax is not cutting it!

Cheap: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66595 ;)

Hey! That IS cheap! It costs twice as much over here. Too bad I have to buy items for at least $250, as I don't live in the US... But hell, I know a decent store not too far from here, which has both the OCZ GXS AND the Epsilon in stock.

The GameXtreme from OCZ is actually manufactured by FSP. I'm told it has some higher quality components in it - but i'm not convinced. The FSP is actually slightly more expensive over here, so that just doesn't seem right.. They're both great PSU's and either one will do you proud ;o)

I'm also getting a Creative X-fi XtremeMusic in about two weeks, which means that I'll have video cards in both x-16 slots, a RocketRaid 2310 in the 4x-slot, Hauppauge PVR-250 in the lowest PCI-slot and the Creative in the middle one (so I don't lose any sata connectors). I've read a few threads about weird noises when using the X-fi on NF4-mobo's, and now I'm wondering if anyone here has a bios they'll recommend for this setup. The one I'm using now is dated 10.07.(05, 06, 2005 or 2006 - don't remember, and I can't check right now as I'm not at home today. But with those 4 options it shouldn't be a problem to figure out which one I have).

I can't recommend a bios since our setups are different I'm using the 11/02. I will tell you this to read all you can on the Xfi. Also when I ran with 2 video cards and a pvr, modem an Audigy 2Zs I had to make sure that my sound card was not sharing an IRQ with 1 of my video cards. When it did it caused the infinte loop error, frezzing or crashes." The wierd playback of suond thru the card before a bsod". So just try and put the sound card in a pci slot the won't be sharing an IRQ with your video card/s. Question: In your sig what's up with the IDE drive where you say" windows drive can't install on sata"?

I can't recommend a bios since our setups are different I'm using the 11/02. I will tell you this to read all you can on the Xfi. Also when I ran with 2 video cards and a pvr, modem an Audigy 2Zs I had to make sure that my sound card was not sharing an IRQ with 1 of my video cards. When it did it caused the infinte loop error, frezzing or crashes." The wierd playback of suond thru the card before a bsod". So just try and put the sound card in a pci slot the won't be sharing an IRQ with your video card/s. Question: In your sig what's up with the IDE drive where you say" windows drive can't install on sata"?

When I try to install windows on a s-ata drive I get a BSOD after one of the reboots. The problem is that it's only visible for like 1/10 second, so I have no idea what's wrong. I'll try to fix that once I've fixed the freezing-problem.

Now I've just tried my 2nd Expert board (yes, I bought 2). Same problem once again.

Let's see what hardware that I've tested:

Mobo: Two boards, same problem.

Video card: Same as above.

Ram: Memtest86 stable for approx. 3 hours (5 runs)

TV tuner: Removed it, but didn't help.

CPU: 1.5h prime stable

Harddrive (windows). Had the same problem with a different drive.

So... what's the next thing to try?

I want to add that it seems as if the error occurs when I use the mouse alot. This isn't the case all times the computer freezes, but 75% I guess. So... We know that windows makes a sound when you enter a folder or follow a link on the internet. Maybe the sound drivers cause this ., or the USB, or perhaps the mouse itself?

I can try my brothers mouse tomorrow, and I expect an X-fi to arrive tomorrow or on Monday, so I can test that too.

Any other duggestions?

What's the difference between bsod's and freezes, btw? If u guys know what I mean...

I thought the consensus was the power supply needs to be replaced with a 24pin/8 pin recommended one. My Power supply is on the rcommended list for non-sli boards with 24 pin/4 pin power 12v power connectors but not the UT SLI because it lacks the 8 pin connector. My board is running stable at stock speeds, however if I try to run Battlefield 2 with SLI enabled it crashes BSOD bigtime-everytime. Each card will run the game individually when placed in the primary PCIE slot. I'm quite sure it is due to the lack of an 8 pin Power connector. So until I upgrade my PSU, no SLI for me.

On the problem with your hard drive, isn't there an option in the Bios for delay hard drive detection for xx seconds? I would give that a try.

I thought the consensus was the power supply needs to be replaced with a 24pin/8 pin recommended one. My Power supply is on the rcommended list for non-sli boards with 24 pin/4 pin power 12v power connectors but not the UT SLI because it lacks the 8 pin connector. My board is running stable at stock speeds, however if I try to run Battlefield 2 with SLI enabled it crashes BSOD bigtime-everytime. Each card will run the game individually when placed in the primary PCIE slot. I'm quite sure it is due to the lack of an 8 pin Power connector. So until I upgrade my PSU, no SLI for me.

On the problem with your hard drive, isn't there an option in the Bios for delay hard drive detection for xx seconds? I would give that a try.

I actually bought a new one not so long ago. A Fortron Source Epslion 700w.

I actually bought a new one not so long ago. A Fortron Source Epslion 700w.

Sorry, I don't think you had updated your signature yet when I posted. Or I am indeed as blind as they say I am. LOL.:tooth:

Could it be the Haupage PVR 250 and the 7900GT Golden Samples fighting over resources. I see that you removed it but did you completely un-install the drivers. Probably did, I reviewd the Driver install and remove proceedure.http://www.snapstream.com/download/hardwar...nstallation.asp . That is one sweet/stacked system you have there. Pity that it's giving you problems.