Sign in to follow this  
brinco218

Opteron 170 question

Hello ! I have the rig from my signature.

Previosly I had an opti170 that didn't go beyond 2,5 Ghz and the new own (opt170) did a nice 200Mhz boost. I changed the RAM from Crucial 2x512 that did DDR500 2,5-3-3-5 at 2,7 V

My problem comes from the memory : I have 270x10 set now and the memory runing at 229Mhz : 2,5-3-2-6 TRC : 8 clocks 2,7 V, thei are in Slot 1&2 (CPUz say that). I can not get pass that speed (I want 250Mhz)... I have tried loosen the timings 3-4-4-10 and voltage up to 2,9V bot no luck...

Second problem : I like to underclock my CPU. Using crystalCPUID i set it at multi 4x and voltage 0,85 for lower temps while ideling. All works fine. I get autorestarts when i download ONLY with BitComet at speeds higher then 700k/s. This is the only inconvenient while Ideling CPU and I don't know how to pass over. DC++ works good, defragmentation no problem while subvolted.

Any ideeas ? What is better 300x9 or 270x10 (Mem setting kept the same speed and spec)

Any ideeas ? What is better 300x9 or 270x10 (Mem setting kept the same speed and spec)

300 x 9 is the better one because when overclocking a cpu its about how far you can get the FSB for the cpu so that its stable.

300 x 9 is the better one because when overclocking a cpu its about how far you can get the FSB for the cpu so that its stable.

uh...no

overclocking AMD64's is about how far you can get cpu Mhz

memory bandwidth is a moot issue (you'd know this if you read the sticky addressing this very thing)

cpu mhz is king

all else is secondary

read the sticky about this

so your saying 270 x 10 is better than 300 x 9......

Hmmmm

I dont see how memory comes into it at this stage...

so your saying 270 x 10 is better than 300 x 9......

Hmmmm

I dont see how memory comes into it at this stage...

No, he is saying the 270x10 is the same thing as 300x9, both equal 2700mhz.

Pushing the FSB was important for pre-AMD64 when the mem controller wasn't on the cpu itself.

Read the first 2 parts (1a & 1b) of this Sticky & this Sticky

ok excellent.....

learn something new everyday I suppose :) thanks for that bit of info.....

so what then is more important when overclocking these days? post AMD64??

thanks for your knowledge dudes :)

didn't answer all my questions ?

Why did my PC restarts when underclocked and HDD usage with Bitcomet(SUPER PI, PRIME, Mem Test all PASSED) ?

How can I reach 250Mhz with my actual Ram ?

the simplest is to set your cpu frequency to 250 and the memory divider 1/01

and tada.. ram running at 250mhz .

The frequency controls bother the processor and the memory mhz.

didn't answer all my questions ?

Why did my PC restarts when underclocked and HDD usage with Bitcomet(SUPER PI, PRIME, Mem Test all PASSED) ?

How can I reach 250Mhz with my actual Ram ?

Sorry for the hijack, lol

We'll start with your ram first. You have G.Skills rated at DDR400(200mhz) & right now you have them running at DDR458(229mhz). So as it is, you have a decent overclock on them already. I will venture to say that you may not be able to actually get them to 250mhz.

In your tweaking, did you play around at all with the secondary timings? You probably won't get them to 250mhz by loosening the primary timings alone.

------

As for your restarts, I am not sure that I understand how your are underclocking. Do you have an overclock set in Bios, then while in windows do you change the settings with software while you aren't doing anything cpu intensive? So you manually switch back & forth between 10x270 & 4x270 using software. I think that is what you mean.

If that is the correct then...

Did you run Superpi & Prime to test for stablity after you changed the multi & volts with software?

Did you try manually setting the 4x multi & volts in Bios then booting into windows, then stress testing? (and checking to see if it still reboots with bitcommet)

How can I undervolt in Bios ? From Default to 0.8V ?! The sistem is perfectly [email protected] while I listen to music,surf the net, have DC++ opened, uploading with Bitcomet. The bad thing happened while downloading (not imediatly, after 1-2min of high speed download)

Is it because i have a RAID 0 matrice ?! Previosly on opty144 OC @2,6 didn't have those problems(also software underclock).

Tried loosen all the timings for hiting 250Mhz....No luck there ? Isn't here a thread/post specialy for timings with my memory model ?

Have you done any overclocking in Bios or have you only been using software in windows to do that?

Have you read the Overclocking Guide?

If not, there is a link in my sig, read it. Then read it again, it will help you find your max OC for your Cpu & Ram.

Is it because i have a RAID 0 matrice ?!

I seriously doubt it.

How can I undervolt in Bios ?

Under Genie Bios Setting: CPU VID Control. Options .80-1.55 volts

Try changing your setting in the Bios to 4x270 @ .80v, then boot into windows & see if you still have the problem. If you do, keep uping the volts till you are stable.

If not, then it is a problem with the software you are using to Over/Under Clock.

Isn't here a thread/post specialy for timings with my memory model ?

I don't know. Did you do a search for it?

BTW, something happened to your sig the last few posts, make sure that 'Show your signature' is checked in the User CP.