Sign in to follow this  
skenzer

Weird power supply problem with my NF4 mobo....

I am having a problem with my OCZ GameXstream 700watt psu that really has me confused. It's the weirdest problem I've encountered in my 15+ years as a tech.

I am getting "noises" from the psu that are directly related to things that are happening on my computer screen. NO, i'm not crazy! When I scroll my mouse wheel, I hear a "clicking" noise from the psu. When I drag a window on the screen I hear a "woosh" noise from the psu. When I minimize and maximize a screen I hear a "woosh" noise from the psu. When I scroll down through a web page I hear a "woosh" noise from the psu.

I've tried a different mouse and that didn't fix it. Even if I scroll using my keyboard I still hear the noise frm the psu.

I've switched around the video card to different slots, didn't help. I reseated all the cables and power connections as well...no go.

It's almost as though the video card is drawing more power from the psu when it needs to refresh or change the screen image and that is when I hear the odd noises from the psu.

I upgraded from a PowerStream 520watt and wasn't having this problem until I put in this 700watt GameXstream psu.

is it possible the psu is defective?

It's really annoying!

Thanks for any help you can offer..

Skenz

I would have already contacted Ocz for power supply warranty as they are usually quite quick to get rma setup...

RGone...:confused:

actually the sound isnt caused by your psu its caused by the cpu (or by usb signals to the mobo in some cases, especially during power changes/upgrades/etc) and (look closer) is actually playing through your speakers, tell me im right and ill go into it further with what i can :)

but im sure the change in power has somthing to do with it... also from reasearch i think it could have to do with sharing/conflicts with IRQ's or DMAs. And most likely ull see some sharing/conflicts involving your audio devices + just aboutanything else... especially if its onboard sound. when you have so many pieces of hardware that end up changing types of power they run on, u never know which device might react just slightly different to it. i mean i could simply be the increase in power causing some sort of static electricity near some pins or capacitors or w/e that are close to something connected to your cpu or audio hardware that would of course go up and down in strength (noise) depending on when signal is on or off.

edit* when i say sharing/conflicts thats not usually a bad thing but can sometimes be the link to other problems

lol actually the sound isnt caused by your psu its caused by the cpu and (look closer) is actually playing through your speakers, tell me im right and ill continue explaining :)

Um, I have no idea what you're talking about. It helps to have a point if you follow up to somebody's post...just a suggestion for you and your future posts.

thanks

Skenz

k edited and the point was to see if i was right before i went crazy on an explanation

Roger that....just to clarify on my end as well...I've turned the speakers off to make sure the noise wasn't coming through them. I can stick my ear right up to the psu and hear the noise...I know, it sounds crazy but it's true.

Um, I have no idea what you're talking about. It helps to have a point if you follow up to somebody's post...just a suggestion for you and your future posts.

thanks

Skenz

I did a search on Google to see what I could find for you.

I believe this is what he is attempting to say:

How does it reduce interference between equipment?

Most modern electronic equipment uses switching regulators in their power supplies. These devices can produce RF noise that can couple through the power cord to other equipment. The balanced power supply provides a very low impedance to the connected equipment which shorts out this high frequency noise.

I took this from a description of a balanced power PSU. Note that it is talking about RF noise. This is what you are hearing, IMHO.