I Just Programmed A Bunch Of Html

darkerick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please give us more info, did you buy a domain name? If you didn't then you really don't need a DNS.

What is your plan, what do you want to have setup. I don't know exactly how to help you out cause I don't know what you have and what you want to do.

All that a domain name is, is a name that people type into the address bar of a browser, the name is then looked up in a DNS and then the DNS stores info about where your website is being served. You don't need a domain but it is nice to have, (it costs money to buy a domain name)

yoursite.com <- This is a domain name

So when you type in the url...

www.yoursite.com

it first looks at the name, the place where you bought your domain from has the info on what DNS servers you setup, then jumps over to the DNS servers and looks up your record there to find out which IP address your website is stored at.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or you can go the alternate route, and not buy a domain name, but if you want people to look at your site, you would have to tell them the IP address of your computer that is serving the webiste. But nobody likes to remember IP addresses. So this way isn't very good.

Or you can sign up with a free hosting company (you then generally get a longer annoying URL). Such as....

www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pine/7958

The above is just an example as to that it really is harder for people to view your site because the URL is longer. And sometimes you don't get the opportunity to have yoursite.com this way.

ok I dont mind the not buying the domain name, but i still have the question of how can I get this html code put into use. Ive never done this before. I just wrote a bunch og html and displayed on IE on my computer. All I wanna know is how to get it online So that people can look at it even if they have to enter the IP address.

right now. I just finished typing in the code. NOW WHAT? That is my question?

Have you not been reading this post?

Apache is a web server program, you install it on your machine, put your html documents inside the htdocs directory, and then give us the IP address so we can test it out.

and like we said before when it asks for informaton on Apache, enter in..

localhost

localhost

When you want to look at your own site type "localhost" in the address bar of your browser. (Without the quotes).

If you want others to view the site, give them the IP address, we then type it in our browser and then we hopefully see it.