Windows Errors

Hi, I just bought my first DFI board last week, the LanpartyUT nF4 expert, and I have a problem. I installed Windows XP 64-bit with a 512 MB stick of Buffalo PC-3200 RAM in slot 1. After windows installed and all the drivers were installed I took out the 512 meg stick and put in my 2 sticks of 1 gig corsair XMS pro RAM into the 2 orange slots. When windows starts upthe computer either goes to a BSOD and I get one of two messages - "DRVIER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", i've researched it and it sounds like i might have faulty RAM. So I ran memtest twice, once for an hour and again for over 10 and a half hours and both times I didnt get any errors. The other error is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION", not real sure what would be causing that, I've only got it a couple of times. So I tried windows normally again and this time Windows did not shut down, I just couldnt use any programs. I kept getting an error - "The application failed to initialize properly - 0xc0000005", I have to press OK to continue and then I try another program and it does the same thing. I'm in safe mode right now and everything seems to be working fine, no errors or shut downs. If I put my Buffalo 512 MB stick I can run Windows normally without any problems. Any ideas what the problem could be? I'm thinking it's either my corsair RAM or my motherboard.

Memory timings. No errors in MemTest shows the ram is not faulty and that the timings are close for Windows.If you get your secondary timings adjusted properly you'll probably be fine. Check the databases for a starting point for the timings.

ok, i tried the few timings i could find on the site, but to no avail. I decided to get the OCZ platinum 2X1GB PC-3200 RAM and I have the same problem, Windows will start up and i get a BSOD. I get a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and i looked it up and miscorsoft says it could pretty much be any of my hardware and i also get SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION which usually comes up after starting up after the machine check error. Could it be my power supply? That's pretty much the only thing I havent changed. I also got there errors about 2 weeks ago when I got my new processor, I installed it on my old motherboard and tried installing a fresh copy of windows, so I might have gotten a bad processor. Any other suggestions on anything I should try?

Before buying any more devices, even though I know nothing about that PSU you have, have you run memtest?

ok, i tried the few timings i could find on the site, but to no avail. I decided to get the OCZ platinum 2X1GB PC-3200 RAM and I have the same problem, Windows will start up and i get a BSOD.

This could mean that you simply tried some different timings and booted up Windows without going through the testing procedure in memtest. Does it?

When you first installed XP with one 512MB stick, was that RAM module thoroughly tested or you just assumed it would do the job? If you didn't test it before the installation process I would say: forget about that installation and begin from scratch! Your XP installation is probably corrupted anyway by now.

It might be that you've done more testing than your posts give impression of, but if not my advice would be to not cut any more corners. Good preparation of the system will be well spent time and save you a lot of headache.

well, when I originally tried installing I had 3 gigs of RAM in (2 sticks of 512 and 2 1 gig sticks), but I kept getting the machine check error, so I tried the 2 1 gig sticks, no luck, then i tried the 2 512s, no luck, tried 1 512, voila, windows installed. Then I tried adding more RAM and switching it all around, but no luck again. I then tried reinstalling windows on another hard drive with the 2 1 gig sticks and i kept getting the machine check error. I went into safe mode and everything ran fine ( I didnt test any programs). Windows still runs fine as long as I have my 512 MB stick in. I did run memtest for 10 and a half hrs and I got no errors on my RAM and no, I didnt run it before installing windows the first time, I assumed I wouldn't have any problems

The thing with an Expert board is that switching out 3 sticks then 2 then 1 and 4 others and 2 of these and 1 of those..etc, chances are you are not going to find any stability. You have to fine tune your DRAM timings before you can expect to proceed with windows instalation.

Another concern is do you have all of the power connectors properly inserted in the board.(8 pin EPS 12v, 4 pin floppy and 24 pin ATX)

I never heard of that power supply unit you have, perhaps you might want to get a DFI recommended one from the sticky list.