Sign in to follow this  
Lord AnthraX

Checksum errors and BSOD's galore.

Ok so I was loading Windows XP and My power suddenly went out, the whole house.

Crap.

Reboot, XP loads, not all the way then a REALLY Quick BSOD and it automaticly restarts.

Specs:

DFI lanparty Ultra-D/ nF4

Opteron 175

2 x 1 GB G.SKILL Ram

550 Antec PSU

150 WD Raptor (the corrupt Hard drive)

200 GB WD SATA (music, movies)

And yeah.

So I put in the winodws XP disc looking to format the drive as it sems like my only hope. So as I change the boot order, then put it the cd and let all the stuf load on the blue screen with windows XP setup in the top right corner load. So after everything on the bottom loads, I get Another BSOD that says it's a hardware error. it tells me to reboot and now im stuck.

Things I have done:

Tried doing it on the 200 GB alone, Same error.

Tried with 1 stick of ram on the top (I know this probably wouldnt of helped any way)

So Im kinda stuck.

I dont really know what to do and Im thinking I should just bring my 200 GB to a freinds house, put linux on it and boot of that, then format the 150 of of linux, but I really hope there is another way I can do it.

Any ideas.

When installing windows it is best to only have one drive connected to the system - you can always add the others later... This is especially a problem if one of the drives is an IDE drive?

also, sounds like it could be a memory problem? Have you run MemTest to check your settings are correct/stable?

MemTest is in the genie settings - just set to enable and then run tests 5 and 8 for 10+ passes each, and if that is ok run all tests and leave to run overnight... If you get any errors whatsoever, you can stop it and try each stick individually in the top most orange slot. If only one errors, then you have a problem. If both error, then it is more likely just incorrect secondary timings, etc.

Oh, and if it passes then we'll have to try and find another cause ;o)

Ok.

But would it make sense?

I'l try to see if I have any other ddr ram to test.

Is ok if it's really slow stuff, but still ddr? I might go steal some from my sisters machine.

You aren't testing just that the memory has errors, these boards are quite picky with regards secondary timings and sometimes you need to play around with them...

One thought, did you follow the build sticky when you first built the machine? This has saved people alot of headaches in the past, even those that have build many machines before...

Ah Ok.

Il just do mem test then ...

and No I didnt, So I'l take a look at it, but I have re formatted this computer 3 times and re wired everything 4 times.

(OCD)

lol...

Also could it be maybe the XP cd is toast?

Im not really sure if that could be it or not....

I'l be doing Memtest thru the bios soon and I will post back with results.

I Searched DFI with no results, so could someone kindly point me in the right direction on how to properly use Memtest86.

I enabled it and Im running it right now and if I want it to do a specific test 10+ times how would I go about doing that.

As of right now it's going thru each test with no errors. As of right now its on Test 6 after 16 minutes.

Thanks. Hoping my ram is the problem so I go ahead and tinker with the timings.

Also does it matter what color slots the ram are in? I decided to put them in the yellow. Will this affect the test?

Usually, you should have them in the orange slots (ie. 2 and 4 on your board from the top down). That said, some people get better/more stable results from the yellow - it can just depend on the board and your individual sticks...

There is some sequence of key presses (sorry, can't rememer - but i think it lists them down the bottom of the screen) to get it to just run one test over and over again - you just do that and choose test 5, then again for test 8, and then just get it to do all tests and leave it running... Let us know how the testing gets on and we'll go from there.

To run test #5 press 1-3-5-0-Enter.

To run test #8 press 1-3-8-0-Enter.

Run each test 8-10 passes. If no errors restart Memtest and let it run 8-10 hours.