DFI Infinity NF4 SLI and overclocking issue

imwhite

Hello everyone, I have a strange problem with my board. I cant seem to get anywhere above 240mhz (cpu fsb), if I go past that ill constantly get "Detecting RAID array" when booting, even though this is already disabled in the BIOS. I'm wondering if theres something im missing, such as a pci lock in the bios and thats why its acting so strange when it checks for hard drives, etc. Any help at all would be wonderful, if you need more info than whats in my sig please ask. Thanks a bunch.

-Dave

Sounds like your system isnt stable beyond 240 thats why youre getting the detecting RAID on start up.

Check your voltages and ram timings.

Try using Clock Gen in Windows to up your overclock and then test with Super Pi and Prime if its stable then set it in bios and it should boot.

Your system is unstable. Read "THE" Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking guide. It explains a step by step procedure for finding a stable overclcok. Do not use Clock Gen or any other overclocking program from within Windows. Those programs were written for boards that don't have the necessary options in the bios to overclock. Using these programs can and will corrupt the operating system. Dfi boards have all the options needed in the bios and thats how the settings should be changed. Start with stock settings increasing your overclock a little at a time using MemTest to verify initial stability.

I person is free to use what ever program they choose. By why suggest something that is not needed and could possibly cause harm. Suggesting that a person waits until in Windows to find stable settings is not only not helpful but is ridiculous.

You are right Praz,

If imright was stable in windows at 240 then Super Pi or Prime would pass.

I thought if he tried to increase the FSB from within windows he would quickly find out how far his stability would go.

I did not realize that using Clock Gen could damage your hardware as whenever I have used it in the past I have made sure my voltages and timings are at the settings to reach the desired MHz.

I personally do not like to use progs like Clock Gen as I now run my PCs for folding and need to be able to just switch them on and let them do thier science for Stanford.

So once again sorry, but dont push it.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I know my system is stable beyond it simply because my previous board had the cpu up to 2.6 prime and superpi passing (memtest also). Its the board, I already got a Conroe system though but thanks for the comments.