Cold Boot, Scrambled graphics

good to hear about dx10, yeah ill say its overrated too, yeah and im leaning trowards vid card too, this vid card lasted on the shelves for no more than a few months @ newegg, then for some reason dissapeared, good card, must had some issues. i doubt its the motherboard, becasue everytiem i think something is wrong w/ this mobo im wrong, these boards are freaking tanks ya know. hehe

Okay, took the video card out, replaced jumpers to SLI(8x) mode, moved card down to lower slot, turned on unit, turned off unit hard power. turned back on, Graphics looked like Brother Esau's acid trip back in the 80s. All in all i ruled it out to being the card it self is bad, and i am soon to order a new one, although im looking between a 7900 or a x1900xt, i never had an ATI, people dog on them all the time, but since they are with amd now, and i am a amd junkie maybe ill have to jump the band wagon, it juss seems the x1900xt's slam out a bit more for a only a few more bucks. unit is in widows just fine right now, only does it occasionally but i spent to much time and money on this rig to have flaws in it :P.

I wouldn't rule out the board yet. I am having this exact same problem with my current rig only I can't get it to come up at all anymore. All i get is garbage. I have tried at least 3 different video cards and they all do the same thing. For me it began after I modded my board to SLI. I believe that it is the chipset flaking out on the board rather than the video card or slots.

EDIT: I have no idea why my sig isn't showing up. Board was a UT Ultra-D modded to SLI, CPU is a 4400 x2, vid cards are 6800gs oc

I havent done any modding to my bored, so i highly doubt its the board. Mine is only doing it after hard power downs. (loss of power, holdingpower button) but its been on two different power supplies. does it on both slots. have you trieda different video card, not the same model but say a ati or a 7000 series card?

I wouldn't rule out the board yet. I am having this exact same problem with my current rig only I can't get it to come up at all anymore. All i get is garbage. I have tried at least 3 different video cards and they all do the same thing. For me it began after I modded my board to SLI. I believe that it is the chipset flaking out on the board rather than the video card or slots.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is the board based on the above. Your problem seems to be the video card not initializing properly not user induced error. Try to borrow a card for a bit before you purchase another one.

In addition to what's already been suggested - have you tried clearing CMOS just to be sure? There can be weird things like this that get fixed by something simple like that... it's free, and worth doing just to be sure that it isn't something simple that you could fix...

Yes, i've cleared the CMOS numerous time since this incident, i've gotten a new Cpu and PSU for an upgrade and it still does it so it isnt hte PSU like i first thought. i work @ compusa so i get stuff at cost im thinking about picking up a 6200le thats very cheap, although this one doesnt need a PSU plug in that wont make a difference will it, since this issue is power induced.

Has the system always had the problem? How old is it? Certainly sounds like either the video card or the board from what you're saying... As suggested above - if you can "borrow" a card (either from work or a friend) and try it out - it might give you peace of mind as to what your actual problem is?

DX10 is overrated, and will be over priced,

That's pretty bold talk considering very few of us have even seen DX10 in action.

I say very few because I got a demo from one of my vendors last week.

I can tell you that even though I can afford to buy a card now and another later when DX10 hits the street, I'm waiting.

DX10 cards will hit the street in April. If you can hold out for the six months, you'll be able to make an informed decision after seeing actual results.

I actually have tried several different video cards. It's a long story but I have a total of 13 video cards. 12 6800GS OC and one standard issue 6800GS. All of them are EVGA, and I still have the problem. If i can manage to get the system up, it is fine, but unfortunately that is gettin very very hard to do. My board also severly over heated right before this started, that is what leads me to believe board. The pwmic was at 96C and my chipset was at 70C sitting at the desktop, at least that's what the warning box stated. I tried to prime it as soon as I saw that and it hard locked instantly. Now i'm in this situation.

That's pretty bold talk considering very few of us have even seen DX10 in action.

I say very few because I got a demo from one of my vendors last week.

I can tell you that even though I can afford to buy a card now and another later when DX10 hits the street, I'm waiting.

DX10 cards will hit the street in April. If you can hold out for the six months, you'll be able to make an informed decision after seeing actual results.

Just to make my point clear on what I meant by overrated, I feel like everyone is waiting and waiting...and feeling as though if they buy a video card now its like they are going to miss out on the greatest thing since sliced bread, my main point is the fact that its going to be a fairly large chunck of time before DX10 really kicks in...thats why in my opinion at this point in time its...well....overrated...I am not basising any of this on facts gathered from research or anything even close...just stating that in my opinion its not worth the wait...