Cold Boot, Scrambled graphics

Occasionally, only from a cold boot though, when i turn the system on, my Screen is scrambled to hell, Like blocks and characters ( i even saw a spade and happy face in there) all over the screen, if i shut down one or two times it boots up fine. I had a OCZ 520 previously and it did the same thing on that PSU, so i dont suspect it is the PSU that i have now or then, i used to have a AMD 3500+ which i now have an x2 3800+, which it does it on this also, the only things left out that could cause this i think could be the VIDEO card or the PCI-E slot, the mobo. Any ideas?

thanks

Occasionally, only from a cold boot though, when i turn the system on, my Screen is scrambled to hell, Like blocks and characters ( i even saw a spade and happy face in there) all over the screen, if i shut down one or two times it boots up fine. I had a OCZ 520 previously and it did the same thing on that PSU, so i dont suspect it is the PSU that i have now or then, i used to have a AMD 3500+ which i now have an x2 3800+, which it does it on this also, the only things left out that could cause this i think could be the VIDEO card or the PCI-E slot, the mobo. Any ideas?

thanks

This may seem random, but do you have anti-virus software, I would run a scan for Spyware, and viruses...Also, did you reformat when you installed the X2? and of course can you try a different Video Card?

Yeap, re seated Video card when put new cpu in a while back, have anti virus, always scans every night, same w/ spy ware, its doing it from teh POST screen is the thing that makes me think its the vid card. oh an yeah i did a complete fersh install w/ the x2. The thing that makes me wonder on the video card is becasue its usually how video cards look when they fry, especially Radeons.

I have the exact same problem occasionaly with the rig in my sig. Also had the same problem with my last video card (MSI RX800XL), which was diagnosed as a card memory problem by MSI, but as the GeCube X800XL I have now does the same thing, it does not seem to be the problem.

Only work-around for me it to shut down the PC on the PSU switch, wait a few seconds, then power up again.

I thought it was maybe weak voltage on the PCI slot, don't really know. I have learned to live with it, as apart from this this is the best mobo/CPU combo I ever owned ... apart from the C2D system I just build for my wife that is. :rolleyes:

At least i know it isnt just me, i am almost confident its the pci-e slot on the mobo. which is not a big deal, becasue it does not down my performance any, its just a random occasion thing. is it possible to up that voltage? thanks for response samba, makes me feel less secluded. lol

you should rule out the slot by moving the SLI jumpers and then moving the card to the other slot. If the problem continues then it sounds like your video card may be on the way out the door

IF it is the GPU, is it worth buying a new card or putting up w/ this one until the "DX 10" stuff comes out, people are talking about dx 10 like the second coming of christ. if it is the slot, should i RMA the board? or just deal w/ the lower slot

IF it is the GPU, is it worth buying a new card or putting up w/ this one until the "DX 10" stuff comes out, people are talking about dx 10 like the second coming of christ. if it is the slot, should i RMA the board? or just deal w/ the lower slot

DX10 is overrated, and will be over priced, waiting is a waste considering most games wont utilize DX10 for another year at the very least, if you can try a different video card in that slot to verify that is the video card, then I would say invest in a 1900XT 512mb, or even better a 1950XT...but either way it sounds like a video card issue more so than the motherboard...I would test a different card and go from there.