Sign in to follow this  
ChillyCat

FX55 upgrade nfo requested

FX55 sitten in a UPS truck heading my way.

3800+ will be removed [obviously]

Seeking suggestions for the upgrade process. Known working bios, ect.

Forgive me if I seem too objective with my comments but....

Why are you upgrading a SINGLE core 3800+ which runs at 2.4ghz to a FX-55 that runs at 2.6ghz ????

I think you'd be better of getting a dual core CPU.....

Well, I thought the FX55 runs at 2.6ghz at least my does. Anyhow, I think what he was saying is, Duel core is just a logical upgrade from a good single core chip(3800-FX55), But you really only need whats best for you, if a fast single core is what you need, then its fine.

I love my FX55 and for gamming its still my perfered chip to play on. I have gotten mine to 3100mz, so that is always fun too, but they can run hot so make sure you cool it good, if you want to overclock it, I have a Ultra120 on it now but hit the 3100mhz with h2o!

As for any problems upgradeing, you should be fine, just take out the old chip and put in the new, you wont need anything like a driver ubdate or anything. Fire it up and it should run like it did before, but with a faster chip! Hope this helped, good luck and have fun!

As for any problems upgradeing, you should be fine, just take out the old chip and put in the new, you wont need anything like a driver ubdate or anything. Fire it up and it should run like it did before, but with a faster chip! Hope this helped, good luck and have fun!

Excellent !!! Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

This box is strictly used for gaming..... "and only gaming" [why dual core not needed]

I was figuring i'd have to do the CMOS clearing and all that. I do realize i'll have to fiddle some with the Genie Bios settings ,but that should be minimal.

For a paltry $139 , thinking I made a decent decision.

Your existing RAM timings may not work with your new FX chip. Also, I keep seeing people post that single core cpus game better than dual core.

Is there any proof of this? I don't game so I wouldn't know.

My common sense tells me that a 2.6 ghz single core cpu or a 2.6 ghz dual core cpu will perform the same using the same other hardware( mobo,RAM,GPU, etc)

Also, if single cores were so good for gaming, why doesn't Intel or AMD make them anymore?

I don't think folks are suggesting that single cores perform better, just that for gaming the second core doesn't get you anything.

One of the other issues is that the lower end single cores seem to OC better/easier than a comperable dual core.

sswilson: Yeah, that would probably be a good idea and would make for an easier 1st boot [i'd assume] I'd then go back and make the appropriate changes.

Kingfisher: Yes, i'll auto all the genies, including memory settings.

I've no idea if singles are faster or not actually. I have a home waiting for the exiting 3800+ and found the FX55 priced right. I know, I purchased old technology.

i just did the exact same thing as well. i found the fx-55 for 139.00 and wanted to upgrade. i can use my 3500+ in another box and was happy to get that boost for not much money. is it really going to be that insignificant? and as far as the memory timings go, for me at least, auto and optimised settings will not get me to boot, i needed very specific settings so i am going to leave them, i dont know if you had this issue or not.

hey- i havent been here in awhile, why is my sig not showing in my post?