Sign in to follow this  
ChRiiLLe

Problem with many harddrives.

Thanks alot for that answer ISSA2000. Will try it all as soon as i can. I don't think it's my psu, measured it yesterday and it wasn't even near 24A for my system.

However, there's one thing i wonder about, those ones:

dont use the nforece ide drives (they cause random lockups) use the ms one

(if you put the nfdrivers on (FOR IDE ONL) USE -UPDATE CONTROLLER TYPE TO PCI IDE TYPE....

3. NFORECE DRIVERS ARE OK - BUT FOR THE IDE PART (UPDATE DRIVERS TO PCI IDE GENERIC DRIVERS).

Is it the same you mean? The SW-IDE i driver i should say no to when installing the nforce chipset drivers?

EDIT: When i install the nforce drivers, should i i have the ide/storage or what it say marked in the beginning? (where you can choose network, sound and so on..)

Just noticed your RAM too - such demanding boards will make you pay for using cheap/value RAM with them, especially with the storage load you have (yeah... I'm getting some more).

Just echoing MAC, you really use all that storage?

Guest caffeinejunkie
I don't think it's my psu, measured it yesterday and it wasn't even near 24A for my system.

If you were testing the rail with a DMM then you were just testing the voltage not the amp load. I'll also quintuple the psu as the issue :P. I mean not only are you way overloading it but it doesnt meet the Lanpartys bare minimum spec of 24pin to begin with.

Really dude be realistic with whats at hand here! You entirely have too much going on for that P.S.U to possibally handle what you have and then throw a Overclock on top of it and not even have the native 24 pin mobo connector and yet you are still convinced that you are good to go with that under piowered out of spec Power Supply. Why???

Personally speaking I would even go as far as to suggest a 1KW Server Class P.S.U for adequate headroom for O.C with that many HDD'S

Thanks alot for that answer ISSA2000. Will try it all as soon as i can. I don't think it's my psu, measured it yesterday and it wasn't even near 24A for my system.

However, there's one thing i wonder about, those ones:

dont use the nforece ide drives (they cause random lockups) use the ms one

(if you put the nfdrivers on (FOR IDE ONL) USE -UPDATE CONTROLLER TYPE TO PCI IDE TYPE....

3. NFORECE DRIVERS ARE OK - BUT FOR THE IDE PART (UPDATE DRIVERS TO PCI IDE GENERIC DRIVERS).

Is it the same you mean? The SW-IDE i driver i should say no to when installing the nforce chipset drivers?

EDIT: When i install the nforce drivers, should i i have the ide/storage or what it say marked in the beginning? (where you can choose network, sound and so on..)

iv found just instal the ide/sata nf4 drives (YES) on NEXT REBOOT- go to hardware (system properties) go the the nf4 ide drivers (only the ide drivers) and upgrade them (like updating the drivers to newer version) but use the build in microsoft "STANDARD DUAL CHANELL PCI IDE DRIVER "

THEN IT WILL PUT THE PRIMARY/SECONDARY ONES AUTOMATICALLY DETECTS.

------------

NOTE : ARE YOU SAYING YOU HAVE 4 RAM STICK IN YOUR COMPUTER?

AND THAT THEY ARE 2X 1G STICKS AND 2X512 STICKS..

IF SO .. RIP OUT THE 512 STICKS, ALL RAM MUST BE SAME SIZE (and if possible matchng pairs)

Really dude be realistic with whats at hand here! You entirely have too much going on for that P.S.U to possibally handle what you have and then throw a Overclock on top of it and not even have the native 24 pin mobo connector and yet you are still convinced that you are good to go with that under piowered out of spec Power Supply. Why???

Personally speaking I would even go as far as to suggest a 1KW Server Class P.S.U for adequate headroom for O.C with that many HDD'S

yes- run you system (non overclocked) untill you have solved all of your /software/hardware problims first.

then overclock.. and see if you still have any problems after that..

(overclocking can add many unseen problems, that a standard system does not have..

its worst when you have a non-standard setup (ie more than 2 hdd etc..)

due to the fact power requirements are greater/hdd setup etc-cabling etc...

JUST A RECOMM ON A PSU (FOR THE FUTURE)

get a single rail psu (min 34 amps on the 12v line) -and it MUST HAVE active/or passive voltage correction..

(my personal fav is a passave correction (sintek 600w) it has knobs that lets you addjust the psu power if their is to much draw on t he line..

my old superflower 550 (34amps single rail) had no correction -

on my setup (no clocked) (running 3dmark) the 1v line droped to 11.45v (min is 11.4v (5% toll) when i clocked the chip (+.15v) (from 110w to 160w) my 12v line droped (on load-runn 3dmark) 11.02v - and was unstable...

SO ALLWAYS GET A PSU WITH PASSIVE/ACTIVE POWER CORRECTION. KEEPS IT ADJUSTED TO KEEP IT WITHIN 5% TOLLERANCE EVEN WITH A HEAVEY LOAD (IE USING MOST OF THE AMPS)

A LOST OF PSU HAVE BIG NOUMBERS, BUT WHEN YOU TRY TO USE THAT POWER, IT GOES OUT OF TOLLERENCE, OR THEIR IS 2 RAILS , BUT YOU NEED 1 RAIL WITH XX AMPS ON IT..

THWE TOTAL AMPS IS ERELEVENT.... ITS WHATS ON A SINGLE 12V RAIL THAT COUNTS.

MY 1900XTX NEED 25-28 AMPS ON A SINGLE RAIL IF YOU HAVE A PS THAT HAS 2 RAIL WITH 15 AMPS EACH- THE VIDEO CARD WILL CRASH/REBOOT ON FULL LOAD/HEAT. THIS INCLUDES SOME 1000W PSU?

@boywander: I have putted the 2x512MB out now and only using 2x1024 sticks..

Yeah, use all the storage :)

@Brother Esau: Still don't think it's the PSU since i have measured it.. And also, heard from a guy having 21 disks on a 520W psu.

I think it still can be the pci bus that can't handle that many drives, since i have no problem with two plugged out.

@caffeinejunkie: No, i had a real ampere measurer.. Also measured the 12V line under load to see it was stable, all time at 11.92V.

@ISSA2000: Thanks alot for your answers =)

But, how come i should have only one rail psu instaed of a two rail? Isn't the two rail better? Or, have wathched Cooltek 600W, with 4 rails..

Is he running a DFI board with 21 disks & 550w P.S.U and a 20 pin - 24 pin converter?

My suggestion is only due to the fact that you have so many HDD on a DFI board!

So in my mind you are interested in probably overclocking and stepping up you're graphics card as well as safe guarding that data that you have!

I usually dont go spewing the whole P.S.U issue on the forum here but I myself have had a P.S.U go faulty and lead to memory errors and and corruption and I lost a consideralbe ammount of files and info on my disks due to the P.S.U being to blame!

It certainly could be a PCI Bus issue and the board just does not like you're card, but with that much storage as well as a adapter for the motherboard hook up you might want to reconsider looking into another P.S.U.

Do as you wish its just a suggestion, but we are only trying to keep you from going through what allot have allready gone through!

I'm going to add my 2c to this too, and jump onto the PSU bandwagon. It doesn't take much to overload the rail(s) on your PSU. I only run 3 HDD's in my machine, on a FSP FX600 which has 4 rails at 18A each. I can tell you from personal experience, it does make a difference how they are hooked up. If i try and run all 3 off the same rail, then i'll get occasional boot issues. Your PSU only has 24A total, and you're trying to make it do a whole lot more work - if you see what i mean...?

Anyway, just some late night thoughts...

Hmm, maybe should buy a new psu then..

What do you think of the Cooltek 600W

4 Rails with 20A, 44A Max at 12V.

And, is it safe for the future you think? Or should i buy another psu with even more power?

Don't think i will upgrade my computer for a year.. So, maybe buy a new then also?

Also, about ony going with one rail? Would that be better with many harddrives?

EDIT: Also, another question. What bios should i upgrade to? Think my is a little old one.. I will take out my disks and do some more overclocking, so, a bios good for overclocking and stable so i can use it when going back to a little lover clocks.