+3,3V - 32A

+5V- 40A

+12V - 24A

Motherboard DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D

Processor Opteron 146 @ 2900MHz (290x10), 1,44V

Mem 1 2x512MB Kingston DDR ram

Mem 2 2x1024MB TwinMOS DDR Ram

Graphic Sapphire Radeon X800GTO² @ X850 XT

Controller card Promes Promes Ultra 100TX2 (On a PCI slot).

Harddrives - IDE

60GB WD

120GB WD

2x200GB WD @ The Controller card

320GB WD @ The Controller card

Hard drives - sata

80GB Samsung - System disk

200GB WD

250GB WD

320GB WD

Other stuff

1 fan controller

5x92mm fans

2x120mm fans

Usb mouse and keyboard.

And so, my problem:

When i have all the drives plugged in there is someone who restarts and the whole computer freezes for a second, sometimes restarts. And then it's good, but it has also been several restarts of the same hdd after each other.

I have tested all my WD drives in the WD Diagnostic tool from the Ultimate Boot CD, i ran Extended test on all of them without any error. However, one of them were doing that restart thing just before and after the test. But showed no error.

If i do the analyze in O&O Defrag on all of the disk at the same time it always happen, but, if i uplug 2 disks the system runs very fine, doesn't matter which disks.

And also, there are not a single disk that do this restart thing, think almost everyone of them has done it at least on time.

So, now i wonder what it can be? Caus' i have no idea at all.

I've heard from another guy that it might be the PCI buss that can't handle 9 disks at the same time?

Also, i have the latest, 6.86 nvidia drivers but a bios version from 07/06/2005

You have an overclocked Opteron CPU plus 9 hard drives on a PSU that has only 24A on the 12V rail...

well...start by trying stronger PSU just for fun....

Are you sure about that? Caus' i have runned it for a year now..

However, just found out some more solutions maybe..

I only have a 20 pin connector on my PSU, does it make big difference?

And also, i have installed the SW-IDE thing when i installed the mainboard drivers..

But still can't see how those things could be the problem since it works pretty fine with 7 of the 9 drives plugged in..

EDIT: Also, which is a good new bios i should use?

new bios might yield a better overclock .... i did manage to overclock further when i switch mine though

note , if you want to flash your bios, use tmods cd!(seach if you dono what me talk about :) )

Ehy, jes to be fair I count 8 HDs! LOL you need a bigger psu dude, or you need to put down the coffee and think: who needs 8 HDs? ;)

EDIT Ope, found that last HD, i obviously shouldnt be an engineer.... cant even count to 9.

Are you sure about that? Caus' i have runned it for a year now..

However, just found out some more solutions maybe..

I only have a 20 pin connector on my PSU, does it make big difference?

And also, i have installed the SW-IDE thing when i installed the mainboard drivers..

But still can't see how those things could be the problem since it works pretty fine with 7 of the 9 drives plugged in..

EDIT: Also, which is a good new bios i should use?

Just because you've run that rig for about a year doesn't mean it's not the psu. I'd say it IS the psu and you've just been really lucky all this time.

Just because you've run that rig for about a year doesn't mean it's not the psu. I'd say it IS the psu and you've just been really lucky all this time.
AbsoFREAKINlutely. Believe me, no one in here will tell you any different. Change PSU or at least test with High er PSU and then post again.

Whith that much storage you will want a good single rail P.S.U preferably over a dual rail P.S.U .

The PC Pwer & Cooling 750w Silencer that I have Is a single rail P.S.U and their are reasonablly priced around $ 200.00 and I would definately recommend that as a base starting line for the ammount of storage that you have!

Or the other recommendation is to go with a Silverstone 750w Zeus or a 750w ST75F modular Strider series.

I own the Silverstone ST60F modular and it is a totally awesome P.S.U but it had started acting up and I bought a OCZ GameXtreme 700w and that started doing some funky . after 3 weeks so I got the one I currently have now the GameXtreme in my opinion is way over rated and actually the Silverstone ST60F modular that I am getting replaced was a superior product even Bios as well as ITE Smart Guardian faver the voltage rateings of my siverstone across the board compared next to the GameXtreme 700w and their wire layout for the GameXtreme leaves allot to be desired other than the cables are super long for full tower cases!

Also..... PC-Power & Cooling does custom wireing which I am getting done to spec for my SilverStone TJ06 Full Tower Case

Those would be my 2 recommendations with that much storage dude!

i have 9 hdd inside - 3 xtrenal e-sata

i also have you raid tx2 card (but i dont use it anymore)

got a promise e-sata one (pci)

i use all my hdds with out problems..

but you need a good psu (it not the total wattage but hows much amps on a single 12v line)

1hdd = 10w (12 on startup) raptor/scsi =15w each

- dont clock your system test for stability - NO -CLOCKING - but use all your hdd..

remember = pci buss (+3114) 120m /sec max data/ pci- express (500) (chipset controller)

dont use the nforece ide drives (they cause random lockups) use the ms one

(if you put the nfdrivers on (FOR IDE ONL) USE -UPDATE CONTROLLER TYPE TO PCI IDE TYPE....

NOTE : DONT USE 2 DIFFERNT MEMORY TYPES (AND OR SIZES) SYSTEM BE STABLE WITH SAME(MATCHING) RAM + 2 STICKS ONLY....

RUN MEMTESTER (RIP OUT THE 512 STICKS...)

1... RUN SYSTEM DEFAULT (NO CLOCKING) (RUN BENCHMARK 3D FOR 1 HOUR)

2. DONT USE 4 STICK (USE 2) (DONT MIX AND MATCH) MUST BE MATCH PAIRS) RUN MEM86 TESTER 2 LOOPS (NO ERRORS)

3. UNPLUG 1 HDD FROM EACH CONTROLLER (HAVE 1 HDD ON MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET) 1 ON THE PROMMISE CARD, AND 1 N THE SECOND ON-BOARD CONTROLLER SIL.

3. NFORECE DRIVERS ARE OK - BUT FOR THE IDE PART (UPDATE DRIVERS TO PCI IDE GENERIC DRIVERS).

4. RIP 3 DVD FROM 3 BURNERS TO 3 DIFFERENT HDD.

I CAN RIP 6 DVD FROM 6 DVD BURNERS TO 6 HDD IN 12MINUTES TOTAL- NO ERRORS AND PLAY A DVD MOVIE FROM MY RAID WINDOWS USING A FACK (VIRTUAL) DVD DRIVE LETTER.

IT POSSIBLE YOU PSU CAN GIVE THE RIPPLE POWER TO A HDD (TO MANY) TRY LESS TO TEST...

(WHEN A HDD START UP (AND WARMS UP) AS WELL AS HIGH ACTIVITY IT DRAWS MORE POWER (RIPPLES) THAN just being ON.

also to help with ripple problems their is a pin setting on somw wd drives (power mansgement) that helps this..

(for people with more than 4 hdd in a system..): Power management allows the drive to be powered-up into the Standby power management state to minimize inrush current at power-up and to allow the host to sequence the spin-up of devices.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...li=&p_topview=1

MAY NOT WORK WITH OLDER MODELS - TEST 1 UNIT(HDD) AT A TIME (AND BOOTUP) MANY EXTERNAL BOXES DONT LIKE THIS PIN ON...)

AND DISABLE spread spectrum clocking - IN BIOS AND ON HDD ETC..

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...li=&p_topview=1