New Processor, more problems

Okay... I'm so pissed off I'm about to punch my computer.

I swapped processors, and while doing so did a full CMOS clear to ensure my settings would be all back to default. I tried to boot up, neither windows install I have would finish loading (froze at the Welcome screen). So I figured okay, I'll reinstall.

Tried that 5 times, every time it gave me an error of the drive not being able to copy a file, so I swapped CD drives.

Same error.

I tried to see if skipping the files and trying the install anyway would work... gave me a IRQ or some crap blue screen while running the install.

I am now trying it with one stick of ram, again.

I know my drives are not bad because I JUST USED THEM TWO FREAKIN HOURS AGAIN.

WHY will it not let me do a fresh install OR a reinstall?

Okay, took out my sound card and second vid card and now the files copied without a hitch, gonna make sure install works (doing a clean install on a formated drive to be sure I won't have any problems after tonight). Hope it goes well cuz I can't wait to OC the crap outta this thing.

Okay, I'm having an issue again, got windows installed, but when I put my second ram stick in, it won't boot or it'll freeze once in windows.

I originally tried installing with all my crap still in so I'm assuming a CMOS clear will fix it, so what I'm gonna do is finish installing my windows Apps then shut down and do a CMOS clear while I sleep (full on battery removed etc), see where that leaves me when I get home tonight.

I would start over and use only one hard drive or raid array, take out all the storage hard drives. Before I install windows, I'd low level format the hard drive/raid array.

I know it's a pain in the butt ,but so is trying to find out what is going wrong. Good luck.

I have a suggestion...

run a complete memory test on your sticks...i had a problem installing windows once because it said it couldn't access the file from the CD-rom while copying it...as if the cd-rom was corrupted...only it did with my two drives, CD-rom and DVD writer...

long story short...on e of my RAM sticks was bad....

I have a suggestion...

run a complete memory test on your sticks

That's the first thing that needs to be done. A new processor means a new memory controller. Optimized Defaults don't always work. Find settings that will pass at least 8-10 passes of test #5 and #8 in Memtest. Then run the complete set of tests 8-10 hours. After successful completion of these is when it's time to install Windows.