Smart Guardian?

Hi, New to this forum. Just built a new system. Specs below. Smart guardian is showing my CPU temp at 16C. this can't be right. Chipset and system seem O.K.. 55C and 33C. I've built alot of systems over the years. Don't uderstand this. "Core Temp" shows it at 30C. This seems reasonable. Any info would be appreciated. Also, what chipset cooler works with this board. My 1900xt hangs over the chipset a little bit. Would have to be an offset heatpipe. Thanks, Ken

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart Guardian may be reporting it wrong. To get the "real" temp, check the BIOS. You can't check load temps, AFAIK, but it works great with idle temps.

This cooler is highly recommended:

Evercool VC-RE

~Ibrahim~

Actually the BIOS shows load temps, as the BIOS puts about 50-60% load on the CPU i think... it's definitely not idle but I don't think it's as CPU stressful as Prime...

But yeah, check the BIOS

Smart Guardian may be reporting it wrong. To get the "real" temp, check the BIOS. You can't check load temps, AFAIK, but it works great with idle temps.

This cooler is highly recommended:

Evercool VC-RE

~Ibrahim~

Thanks for your info. I read somewhere that Smart Guardian overrides the bios temps. Don't know if this is true, but my bios reads the same as Smart Guardian. Just don't understand. Either that or the Scythe Mine is one helluva cooler.The Evercool for the chipset looks like a good choice, seeing as I have limited space. Thanks again, Ken

There's no way you're gonna get lower than ambient temps on your CPU lol :P Unless you have one hell of a cold room, it's probably not a true reading.

I would think about RMA'ing the board, or perhaps upgrading the BIOS to the latest version to see if that fixes the issue.

SmartGuardian will show the same temps as the BIOS as they both use the same hardware sensors. The only reason we got you to check the BIOS is because sometimes the misreading comes from a software fault.

So try the BIOS thing, and also try a search to see if anyone else with your board has the same issue :)

My cpu also reads 15c at idle. Doesn't really bother me as I know it's not accurate. I have a temp sensor next to the cpu and the system is quite stable. That seems to be the only fault I have seen with this board. I've had several Abit boards that also reported the cpu temp much lower than ambient. Not really worth RMAing it over, that's for sure. The board is solid as a rock. That evercool cooler may have changed, mine pushed agains a cap and dug in. Luckily nothing was serious enough to damage the board. I put the stock cooler back on, just replaced the tim with as5.

My cpu also reads 15c at idle. Doesn't really bother me as I know it's not accurate. I have a temp sensor next to the cpu and the system is quite stable. That seems to be the only fault I have seen with this board. I've had several Abit boards that also reported the cpu temp much lower than ambient. Not really worth RMAing it over, that's for sure. The board is solid as a rock. That evercool cooler may have changed, mine pushed agains a cap and dug in. Luckily nothing was serious enough to damage the board. I put the stock cooler back on, just replaced the tim with as5.

Spooky, glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Wasn't going to RMA for a bad ITE chip. Other temps are fine. I'm very happy with the board so far. Still doing a burn-in. Do you know of any other monitoring programs that work with this board. MBM is defunct. Core Temp seems to show the actual die temp, but you can't put it in your system tray. I also put as5 on the chipset cooler, but not much change. A few degrees. What are you using for a temp sensor? Thanks for your input. Ken

I don't trust ITE cpu temp sensor too, i prefer SpeedFan K8 sensor, which is more logical related to my system configuration and OC setting. I push my Orleans 3200+ with 1.65v Vcore @3.004 GHz, using a DIY -cheap- watercooling.

In ITE, idle temp is at 27-29 c, full load at 40-42 c. Using SpeedFan K8 sensor, it read idle temp @38-39 c, full load @48-50 c. My chipset temp is at 48 c max -using Evercool look alike cooler made by Xin Sheng Da, and the system temp is at 35-36 c.

As you already know, i live in humid & hot Jakarta Indonesia, so my ambient unairconditioned room never goes below 30 c, peaking @ around 32 c @ 3 PM in the afternoon.

About the chipset cooler, darn this Evercool chinese imitation is just as good as the real stuff, after getting some serious lapping job before installation -it's made from copper too. And it just cost me 6 US$ too, what a bargain !! :P