Unofficial F.E.A.R. Performance Test Chart & Discussion Thread

CharmedLover84

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have my SLI bridge in the next day or two though I just don't see it peforming quite as high as MadDais crossfire combo. I have a single 7900gtx right now and it does not impress as far as the F.E.A.R performance test goes at 1920 x 1200...on the other hand, game play is nice and smooth despite the low score. I'll post up two 7900gtx's as soon as I get the bridge...

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but the latest F.E.A.R. patch (1.08) supports widescreen resolutions now so no need to modify the config file.

On another note, my 7950GT KO outperforms my 7900gtx at native 1440 X 900 on another rig but again, that's only in the performance test. Both are very smooth and very playable with max eye candy...

So don't go blowin your hard earned cash on a 7900gtx if you've got a 19" or smaller :)

Yep, 7900s are all about resolution. I've ran it at 1920x1200. Although I do have to say my 1024x768 numbers were ridiculous on that test that's currently on the chart, 134FPS lol

And your SLI will whip that thing, trust me. 'specially with that Conroe. Now if you run it on the Opty, you'll still win but dunno by how much. SLI is superior to Crossfire, ;) as far as how the processing happens goes. I still hope to test out one of them evil ATI cards someday just to see what it's like LOL

I actually think Xfire is a lot better in performance and quality, while SLI is less complex and easier to build (and designed). A good XFire setup should, I repeat SHOULD, be faster than its SLI counterpart... or am I wrong?

You're right. I will admit to the aesthetic beauty of SLI bridge versus the Xfire dongle. However. I want perfornace and great picture far more than not having a dongle in the back of the computer that I won't see. ALSO, there IS softfire that eliminates the dongle altogether, but decreases performance.

Okay crackheads. Time to face reality.

YES ATI cards can give more eye candy than NVidia, for now. But the facts are the facts. In an article comparing all the major cards, top to bottom, of NVidia and ATI (for PCI Express) in single and Crossfire/SLI setups, EVERY SLI setup won by several frames per second in everything from Oblivion to FEAR to 3DMark06.

And the one thing I know ATI does better, AA/HDR combo, which Nvidia can't do, I don't see as being a problem much longer, 8 series cards will most likely have that functionality. To be frank I dunno why they didn't build it in the the 7950GX2, it's got two GPUs for crying out loud, put them to good use.

And if you don't believe what I just said, take a trip down to any hardcore overclocker forum and see what computer is at the top of their charts for benchmarks and gaming. 9 times outta 10, it'll be a nitro cooled or phase cooled processor with SLI of either 2 7900s or 2 7950GX2s. If that doesn't convince you... well then yer dense.

I'll begin listing proof to silence you ATI heads ;)

First: (They were both run with an FX-57, granted it's ancient now but when they came out it was top of the line)

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/332/14/

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/326/20/

That's FEAR, both were run on the exact same setup (baring the mobo being crossfire/SLI compliant), 59FPS for Crossfire, 67 FPS for SLI at 1920x1200. I'll continue searching for other notes to show.

And if someone wants to mail me their crossfire complaint motherboard and cards for me to test with my FX-60 clocked as it is now, I'll be more than happy to run real world comparisons until I'm blue in the face just to prove it to you people. ;)

Just for kicks, ran FEAR benchie on the Opty/Asus/7800 system, not bad. 36/71/172. Not bad at all for a 7800GTX.

Really wish I had another PSU as powerful as mine to stick in that system so I could shut mine down and pop the 7900s in there and see what she can really do, but alas, I don't, and I don't wanna remove mine from my current setup cuz it's a biatch to undo all those wires.

Still think it's funny that it's runnin' a 1.02GHz OC and on Air it's not cracking 50C. Granted, that fan I put on that Opty cooler makes it like high end air, but it's still AIR lol