• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closest I could get:

8xS in NVidia Control Panel for AA settings. The results:

fearmaxmax1600x12008xsarl9.th.jpg

fearmaxmax1600x12008xsahg3.th.jpg

Min: 29 Avg: 44 Max: 138

Keep in mind that this is with my system at 2.93GHz/PC4000@DDR488 3-4-3-8-1T

If I had it at 2.94 or 2.95 with the PC4800 at DDR588 or DDR590, I'd probably be even higher.

I love how it looks but that Min FPS is too low for my liking. Although I do have to say that the settings I've been playing at are sweet ;) 1680x1050 at everything maxed, 4x hardware and in game.

actually when I first got the game I played it at 1600x1200 with no AA on 2 7800GTX 512MBs, and it ran quite well (and that was with an Opteron 165 @ 2.4GHz)

AA is a FPS killer for sure though, 'specially once you get above 4x. I imagine 2 7950GX2s would whip the . outta my score simply because of having 4 cores to process the AA.

I never play games with out FSAA or Aniso, and I usually set it to FSAA 4x and Aniso 16x... unless its BF2 when I usually set it to 2x and 8x (half)...

If it aint pretty, whats the point? ;)

Btw, forget about quad SLI... two 8800GTX cards would whip anything.

RAM speed flat out out performs anything that's bigger, I know that for a fact, my system is a perfect example.

Not only does my PC4800 raise all my benchmark scores but we're talkin' about a 15FPS average (18FPS minimum) increase in FEAR switching from PC4000 to PC4800 (that ain't even running at it's rated speed).

GPU frequency seems to only improve speed a bit in FEAR, i've noticed around 5MHz on the core gives you an extra frame or two on the Average and an extra 5 to 10 frames for a maximum. It rarely effects the minimum and even then, only 1 or MAYBE 2 FPS. Least that's the way I've seen it happen in the past.

I know crankin' my sister's computer's 7800GTX 256MB from 430/1200 to 490/1300 (BFG 7800GTX speeds) gave it a helluva performance boost in all areas, but unlike the 7900 series, the 7800GTX 256MB is the bottleneck in her system, not her processor (whereas in my case, my processor is the bottleneck).

AA performance improvements, as far as I can tell, are all about speed. The faster everything's runnin, the better it'll perform. Tis the main reason why I want Old Guy to run the test like I did with SLI 16x AA on with his conroe, cuz I know he'll kick my butt but I want to see how much better performance he gets just from having less of a bottleneck as far as the CPU is concerned.

And the only reason I played FEAR back in the day at 1600x1200 on my SLI 7800GTX 512MBs is because I still had a CRT monitor as my primary monitor then and AA didn't make a huge visual difference at that resolution. Whereas on a LCD, it sure as heck does. Turnin' it up to 16x SLI AA may make it crawl at slug speed but stuff looks smoother than a baby's butt on this screen ;) LOL

AA performance improvements, as far as I can tell, are all about speed. The faster everything's runnin, the better it'll perform. Tis the main reason why I want Old Guy to run the test like I did with SLI 16x AA on with his conroe, cuz I know he'll kick my butt but I want to see how much better performance he gets just from having less of a bottleneck as far as the CPU is concerned.

At the same GPU clocks? You'll probably score dead even at 16x AA and the 19x12 res.

I doubt it, the Conroe has superior design. He'll win it's just a question of by how much ;) And too bad you don't have crossfire or you'd be my next project for my new thread on SLI/Crossfire and whether or not they are worth it :-D

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69131

Check it out ;) Any game you want added to the thread's results just lemme know and if I have it, it'll will be done ;) via the same way the second FEAR result was.

Gotta remember when I have time to do Doom3, Far Cry etc. and create a neato chart like all the professional reviewers have ;) LMAO

You keep running that damn funky 19x12 res... I can't run at that. I'd love to see Halflife 2: Lost Coast bench at at least 4x/16x 16x12. Considering my current rig pushes over 130FPs at 4x/16x and "performance" driver settings. ON high quality it hovers about 100FPS.