Board was faulty!!

madian225 came over to my place today and saw for himself just how faulty it was , would not accept his ram or mine over 220mhz... even worse for atleast 5mins the board wouldnt even boot up after a 10min bios flash. Finally got it booted went into bios and just loaded optimized settings, wouldnt boot beeping at me like buggery :mad:

Tried each orange slot no go even memory at auto timings, as soon as i put it in the yellow it booted up , but he could see for himself that something wasnt right.

He left me a cpu and dfi sli-dr , i used the board and STRAIGHT away the system accepted the ram and right upto 260mhz in the orange slots and NO memory errors. So it was proven that my board was faulty , i was so chuffed with his board which he wasnt using i bought it off him :cool:

Now i gotta test the stuttering out :( :( , but atleast i can run in the orange slots now

Did you test your CPU in his board? or Test his CPU in your old board?

Nope , im upgrading to opteron next year anyway want 3ghz :cool: ... but atleast ive got a working motherboard

p.s the cpu was not related to the memory not working in the orange slots on the other board

I could be wrong, but to me it still sounds more like a problem with the memory controller. What temperatures has the CPU been running at under load and fed with how much vcore?

I still think Sharp's advice is the best bet before doing something drastic. That CPU has to be checked before you can determine whether it's the board or not. My guess is the CPU.

I could be wrong, but to me it still sounds more like a problem with the memory controller. What temperatures has the CPU been running at under load and fed with how much vcore?

I still think Sharp's advice is the best bet before doing something drastic. That CPU has to be checked before you can determine whether it's the board or not. My guess is the CPU.

Why would it be the cpu? was already confirmed by me and another person on this forum that the other board was faulty.. wouldn't even load default settings in the orange slots, this dfi sli-dr one + SAME cpu works right off the bat.

Now running 287FSB , 234MHZ memory , 2.58GHZ in the orange slots

The otherboard wouldnt go over 230mhz memory , 240fsb in the orange slots. ( 1 error every 5mins in orange at 220mhz memory )

Temps of 36C in bios , hard load of about 53C in games... volts of 1.53

He left me a cpu and dfi sli-dr

It might be that I missunderstood your post (I read the initiall thread aswell). I thought this ment that you didn't test you original CPU together with the board mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp

Did you test your CPU in his board? or Test his CPU in your old board?

Nope

Again I don't get it. I'm not criticizing you in any way, but still don't understand whether the CPU which was installed in the failing system has been tested in another board. As it is now see both "yes" and "no". As a respond to Sharp's post you say "nope" and now it's "SAME cpu".

Forgive me for not being able to follow the explanation.

Its not you fault its just my autistic way of explaining things :sad:

1. Basically whatever we tried on my old dfi sli-d it would not let us go over 220mhz on the memory without errors in the orange slots , nor would it allow us to boot even if we loaded optimized defaults. The only way it was going to boot was with the ram in the yellow slots, but whatever was used in the orange totaly unstable thousands of errors and sometimes no boot. This was being tested with my original +3800 dual core cpu.

2. We tried the dfi sli-dr and straight away it would load optimized defaults it has also allowed me to up the fsb to 287 in the orange slots upto 250mhz on the memory , this is with MY cpu.

3. The stuttering remains on the system even after a complete new format, i have just tried his +4800 dual core cpu and the stutter remains.. So i have now put my cpu back in.

This is what i have done in replacements thus far

Psu was faulty - replaced with OCZ 700 watt

Motherboard was faulty - replaced with dfi sli-dr

Cpu was fine although we did test another cpu just incase

Memory was faulty , got a new rma ballistix this was fine and so is my g.skill

I have had this issue for a long time i did try another gfx card - nvidia pcie ( still stuttered and hitched ) so its not the graphics card.

Soundcard was removed , still stuttered and hitched

It really only leaves now the monitor or monitor cable , if not i am at a total loss

Default settings , overclocked settings, underclocked settings - still stuttered,hitched

Dual core installed drivers, dual core hotfix dual core optimizer - Same

New sata hard drive , no faults - Same issue

The guy came around again today we messed with memory timings solved atleast 60% of the hitching in battlefield 2 but it was very difficult for him to notice it. As im looking for it and know what to look for, in oblivion he could see for himself the frame skipping.

--- In oblivion it frame skips as it does in quake 4 and doom 3 , every second frame is a skip i can only partially solve this by. ifpsclamp 60 in oblivion and com precise tic in doom 3,quake 4. Problem is with these commands it makes it incredibly laggy if the frames drop below 40fps

2. We tried the dfi sli-dr and straight away it would load optimized defaults it has also allowed me to up the fsb to 287 in the orange slots upto 250mhz on the memory , this is with MY cpu.

That is what everyone wanted to know :)

NeilSouth, check to see if you have "Errata 123" enabled in your BIOS (assuming this entry is there)

123 Bypassed Reads May Cause Data Corruption or System Hang in Dual Core Processors

Description

An internal data path allows some cache line fill requests to bypass the L2 cache and initiate an early DRAM read before receiving hit/miss status from the cache. Under certain timing conditions at low core frequencies, read data from such a request may be returned to the processor core before the core is ready, resulting in an internal bus hang or a corrupted victim data buffer. Potential Effect on System Data corruption or system hang.

Suggested Workaround

Contact your AMD representative for information on a BIOS update.

Fix Planned

Yes

Although this will only show up in some applications, I've seen games like Painkiller skip frames when the Errata 123 is left disabled.

System is alot more stable than it used to be , left the computer on all day yesterday... Didn't get any freeze ups ( games ) and no crashs in firefox.

Still getting the odd stutter but its not as bad as it was , so i can live with this :cool:

Now i need to start saving up cause im skint with all this spending :rolleyes:

edit : how much do opterons go for now? dual core upto 3ghz oc will upgrade to one of those next year