Sign in to follow this  
godlyatheist

quieter cooling needed

My current cooling solution keeps the system very cool, but my fans aren't as quite as i'd like them to be(my ears are sensitive). So should I get a fan controller(black and without knobs) or a water cooling unit (DIY or premade)? recommendation needed on what to get.

temp: x2 [email protected] 1.37V(27-32C/38-41C)

does changing the stock chipset fan help reduce noise too?

To answer your questions there are several approaches you can take (in order of cost and difficulty)

1) The obvious - get quieter fans....

2) Changing the stock chipset fan to the evercool WILL reduce noise quite a bit from what I have been told (I have yet to perform the evercool mod myself)

3) do a case mod and put some sound dampening material in it (such as dynomat - not really made for computer cases but it'll do the trick

4) Water cooling...

Before you do anything I'd check to make sure it isn't your power supply, as I'd be a little upset if watercooling didn't fix the noise at all....;)

And yeah, the Evercool will be quieter, you could remove fan grills to reduce noise as well.

And of course, I always love watercooling, but as a general rule don't get a kit. I think Danger Den sells a good one but otherwise I think most of them suck.

Before you do anything I'd check to make sure it isn't your power supply, as I'd be a little upset if watercooling didn't fix the noise at all....;)

I dunno about that - he's got a GameXStreme! I can speak from experience that those are some quiet SOBs and they're of fine quality! I'd be super PO'd if mine broke and was making some serious noise :)

just by putting my ear near each fan(CPu, psu, exhaust) i hear about the same amount of noise. As to getting quieter fans, which one do you guys recommend?

current fans

intake: vantec stealth 80mm 26db

cpu: silverstone fn-121 120mm 26db @ 1100rpm

exhaust:vantec stealth 120mm 30db @1300rpm

The cheapest fix i can do now is rip away the exhaust mesh(1.5mm steel) and put a grill there. Another one is replacing the chipset fan, but i don think it'll do much cause the other fans noises are greater.

I've looked at the danger den stuff, about $50-100 apiece = 300+ for a kit. This is too much for a college student

akasa, scythe, coolermaster or my favorites sharkoons (or golfballs as there sometimes called) cheap, and good balance between dba and cfm

If a OCZ GXS has high fan noise, you need a blow-hole & much better case cooling. :eek:

They are quiet untill they get hot.

how can i get better case cooling? I'm using the max number of fans and routed the wires to the best as i can (not much room to hide the cables in the case).

Could a different case work better at reducing noise?

also, can i get some model number on the fans?

Someone should note that the Evercool replacement for the chipset will only be quieter if the stock cooler is running at full speed constantly. Mine never runs at full speed so I'm one of the lucky ones.

i recently ordered a bunch of different kinds of fans just to see how they sounded (coolermaster, globalwin, vantec, thermaltake, artic cooling and scythe). i ended up using the scythe s-flex models (high rpm) with a fan controller for fine tuning. they seemed to offer the highest CFM, lowest motor noise (none really) and low wind noise. i am also using coolermaster fans in my case (not as great CFM, but very quiet) and one ixtrema silenx fan as my main exhaust fan (regardless of what others say, my fan pushes a lot of air very quietly, i am happy with it).

so many hype and reviews of fans at the mo find one you like and stick with it cos everyones got a favourite as long as your case is cool enuf the rest is just numders and figures.

and just in case there confusing you

dba (= NOISE) 25DBA is roughly normal ambient room noise (not in my house, try more like 50 or so) over 40 are noisy buggers (buy ear muffs)

cfm (=AIRFLOW) for a quietish fan upto a 120MM your probably not going to get over 70cfm

it all personally what works for you! figures are not real life unfortunately!

I think I may do a cooling thread and get it stickied if I get the time

i don really care about cfm cause my current low cfm fans push enough air to keep everything cool.

okay, so i understand there's motor noise and wind noise. I probably suffer from wind noise so what kind of fan/case mod will give me low wind noise? my Ultra case use those horizontal plastic vents in the front and they are loud.

a picture for demo:

gr_i339301.jpg

Sign in to follow this