MS Flight Sim X

BergKatse

Got the copy from my brother in law: he bought it and couldn't make it work on HIS LAPTOP!!!! No coments :rolleyes:

The game is HUGE!!! Two DVD's... and the installation takes forever. This wasn't a good sign from the start.

I played with the settings that came from stock and of course it was all bad with low quality and it ran at just 20 fps... I was like "WTH!".

You control the quality settings for the universe, your plane, the scenery and for other planes... and also control the max FSP you want to get, as to limit them to avoid stressing the computer I guess. The game setting should be a mix of all these to make it more enjoyable.

I tried the maximum quality on everything and set the max fps to 50... and of course I was only getting 17 fps with my computer (1920x1200)... I choose then to lower from maximum to high on most of settings and the fps jumped to 20.

The game is very heavy, no question about it... a lot of people with out premium computers are going to be disapointed. Also I am not sure about the realism of the game, which is another setting I didn't touch... I was able to land a plane on the water (hidroplane) with out much effort, and took off on the same easiness... that can't be real, right? I don't even have a pilot lincense yet and I was able to do that???? :confused:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what to say Sorrento...

A) You are a natural talent at aeronautics? :D

B) Your rig should under all accounts be better than mine but I did not notice low FPS in the demo. I am still teetering with a purchase (maybe I should check if anyone has a copy I can "evaluate") so maybe when I finally decide it will be only $25...

Thanks for the review of the retail version though man! 30-minutes at a time is not a lot to examine the game. :)

boo

I dunno what to say Sorrento...

A) You are a natural talent at aeronautics? :D

B) Your rig should under all accounts be better than mine but I did not notice low FPS in the demo. I am still teetering with a purchase (maybe I should check if anyone has a copy I can "evaluate") so maybe when I finally decide it will be only $25...

Thanks for the review of the retail version though man! 30-minutes at a time is not a lot to examine the game. :)

boo

A) YES I AM!!!! :D

Actually I have flown flight sims since forever, well actually since way before the end of the last century. From Red Baron II (then 3D) to EAW to IL2 Sturmovik to the later LOMAC... IMO these are more realistic than any MS Flight Sim installment, specially the Ubisoft ones (IL2 and Lomac). I was part of two online squadrons and online friends who were pilots invited me to take the flying exam to gain my license... yet I am not 100% in perfect shape with flying vectors and other things, but at least I know flying a Cesna would be totally easier than to fly flight sim Bf109-G10... but one thing is pretend, something else is to do so in real life, I would still see how far can I go.

B) The Retail version of the game can adjust several areas of the game individually either to custom level or to automatic one, where the slider for max FPS takes charge of all the Auto quality settings... however I customized each setting and still the FPS slider took control of them: if it was set to 20 fps, the game ran at 20 fps. Thats when putting it at 50 with all at maximum or highest made my system reach a maximum 17 fps with FSAA 4x and Aniso 16X @ 1920 x 1200... which isn't anything BUT ubber high.

Not sure how the demo is but at those resolutions and quality filter settings, the retail one is very heavy on graphics.

I haven't removed the game yet... I love flying, and this game has found a place around IL2 (FB, PC AE) and Lomac. I am trying to fly from Dallas to Monterrey, but I am not sure how yet... maybe the game doesn't have anything south of the border and I would have to buy an upgrade, which would be terrible :(

But its relaxing to finally fly the skies WITH OUT SOMEBODY TRYING TO SHOOT ME FROM THE SKY, even if its on "kiddy MS mode" :tooth:

I saw in the Best Buy ad Sunday that it is on sale for $49.99, instead of, $69.99. Not bad!

Yes it is fun to fly with a simulator. I mainly use the Cesna planes, however. I fly to all of the airports in the world using real-time flight.

It's like one of those things such as golf. Many people do not see the point while the others get the enjoyment :)

The demo offers pretty much little customization in ANYTHING, so it doesn't make me feel any better about buying "unseen". I just got the HTPC listed in my sig below installed and it is using the awesome 52" Aquos in the living room. Only got the x1650PRO on it, but I am thinking many games will be newfound gems on that sucker! :)

boo

It's like one of those things such as golf. Many people do not see the point while the others get the enjoyment :)

Well said! Golf, on TV, is the most boring thing in the universe......... but if you play it, its quite the opposite. Same when comparing Baseball and Cricket, the second is more fun to play but the first one is the least bad to see on TV.

Flying a plane has no comparison in the real world... perhaps flying a combat plane and being exposed to extreme G forces is the only other thing to compare it with, like driving a car is compared to driving a Forumla 1 car: with corners that pull up to 5 G's and braking reaching same values or more. Whats fun about flying? Whats fun about driving? unless its a racing car... :) But nobody can fly with freedom these days, and the experience is very enjoyable and relaxing... so flight sims like this one are perfect, while the combat and ubber realistic ones like IL2 Sturmovik and other Ubisoft ones are the extremes.

Wow, someone at Best Buy f'd up :)

I cannot wait. I want it so much and everyone tells me to torrent it. Personally, I'd rather buy it for 60 bucks (well, 58) than wait for 2+ gigs to download over torrent system. :eek:

The demo seemed to work great on my PC but it crashed totally randomly twice. Might be those bugs mentioned above.

boo

here's a quick lesson for you

you now get a 7-day ban for stupidity

read the rules

Well said, Sorrento!

As a "journeyman pilot" on IL2, I agree with you!

Once in a while it would be nice to fly without getting shot at!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to get decent frame rates (30-40fps) by turning off autogen scenery. To make up for the loss of generic buildings I was able to turn up the scenery complexity high, the mesh resolution to 1m (although I still got decent fps at higher settings), level radius large, mesh complexity 50, water effects high, anisotripic filtering. Now it makes it look nice enough that is was worthwhile buying the upgrade.

Funniest thing is the fps on the TV ad for FSX suck too!

I have not used and of microsoft's stuff, but I have used flight gear. my computer was pretty slow, but there are a lot of options in it that you can get. plus it is free......

I was in an automated controls class, and out final project was to design an autopilot to land a 747 in crosswind. we used matlab and simulink to simulate the landing. anyways, one group had a lot of experience with flight gear. they put the cross wind and the control algorithm into the flight gear simulation, and landed the plane and we got to watch a 747 landing in a 180 knot cross wind.......180 knots you say? yes it is a lot, but there was a slight glitch in the way the autopilot was set up to begin with. all of the deflections of rudders and ailerons had been linearized...sin(small angle) = small angle. this means that the greater the deflection of the rudder, the more torque was put on the plane. and because it was linear, it didnt follow the normal sine wave of oscillating. it just kept getting bigger as the deflection of the rudder got bigger. anywho, the control algorithm called for a rudder deflection of 26 or so radians!!!!!! It was very exciting to see a simulation of a 747 landing with a 180 knot cross wind and right before tuchdown seeing the rudder spin around in a circle about 5 times.

off topic, but interesting....i think.

Funniest thing is the fps on the TV ad for FSX suck too!

I have noticed that. It bugs the hell out of me and will probably keep me from buying it. Hell, if MS can't get a decent frame rate for the commercial, it has to be an uber hog.

I will pick up a copy out of the bargain bin in about three years when we are easily hitting 5Ghz. ;)

If I feel the urge to fly for now, I will stick with Falcon 4.0.

I like things that go boom.