Sign in to follow this  
RedDem0n

Western Digital Extreme Lighted Combo 320gb External Harddrive

I bought this the other day at my work place in Best Buy which comes with a dual interface as well both usb and firewire. I tried using a usb and plugging it to my system, I get the indication in the right corner of my screen saying that its detected the wd harddrive, but pretty much stays in there...and gives me no indication of hardware installation or any kind of software installation for me to actually access the external harddrive. The harddrive did not come with any cd's, I read the manual already and it said that once you plug it in, windows xp should automatically recognize and bring up a window to install the drivers for it.

Any assistance on this would be greatful, thanks.

You may need to format the drive if it didn't already come formatted, Aknow with about half of mine I did.

You can do this in the disk management area of your Admin Tools

I got the same drive - external - and it should work without doing anything - try a different usb port - but i formated mines to work as NTFS -- comes with Fat32 - mines works great - the only issue i have is it dosnt boot up plugged in the USB - i havnt a clue - since it works fine with firewire - i left it at that - and its not the drive - its something with my usb or a setting i need to change that i dont know - it boots fine with a friends laptop with usb - anyway firewire is better -

try a different port and format to NTFS if you want to use more than 4gig in a folder

Alright, looks like the option I have right now is to see how to go about in formatting this.....To answer some users question above, I can see this in the device manager..When I try to update driver and check both removable and local diskdrives for any driver updates...It finds nothing. Now since WD never provided a cd with any of the drivers, I'm assuming the drivers for this external drive are located within the harddrive itself....Which for some reason it's not looking up. So I checked the disk management, admin tools....The only drive I saw was my C Drive and my external harddrive wasn't in for one of them...Even tho it shows up in my device manager, it doesn't show up in the disk management..

Also another thing, I tried both firewire/usb and on different ports....and I also found out this is formatted for fat32, so I need to figure out a way to format it to ntfs

First off, you don't need drivers for a hard drive.

Right click "my computer" on your desktop, then click manage.

click the plus sign next to storage and then click disk management.

There you will see your external drive. If it's does not show as healthy, you will have to format it. You will have an option to use fat 32 or NTFS.

That's the problem, there is nothing under the disk management besides my C Drive. My external harddrive doesn't even show up there.