Onboard sound or an expensive soundcard?... Worth it?...

Icez84

well, just dont forget that the extreme music is not that expensive now'o'days.

but ya, if you dont have a good speaker system, or good headphones, its useless.

FYI, in games, you will notice a lot more "action" and voices coming all over with a dedicated sound card...

onboard just has its limits, and when you reach them, the cracking begings...

dont bother with an x-fi with a bad sound system, or if you dont plan on some solid music hearing, movie playing and gaming...

luck mate

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's my take on it

onboard sound is ok for testing and machines that aren't getting full-time or daily use.

any gaming rig or machine that is used full-time i go with an Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I've purchased probably 6 of them in our own For Sale section here at DFI-Street, and all have cost $30-$35. Never paid more than $35 for one.

All are superior to onboard sound. All are superior in gaming. All provide higher quality audio for music (though there are some pci sound cards that are even better for music/recording if you are into that....Creative cards are made for gamers, and the music playback quality is excellent so it is usually the more popular choice).

Any good sound card will not only reproduce audio in games better, but it will reduce cpu cycles needed.

audigy2 is a worthy upgrade if your gaming sound wise, as many games now are setup using creatives eax technology. I have used the xfi and to be honest, cost versus improvement ratio is why its not on my list, yet!

also there's a big thing about how Realtek's ALC doesn't actually do EAX...it simulates it or such (and quite poorly if I remember...will have to find the article(s) about it if I can).

Most games these days have EAX, EAX2, or EAX3 abilities (is there an EAX4 yet?)

yup, eax 4 is the new stuff with x-fi...

and yeah, realtek's EAX (only eax1, maybe 2?), isnt real... its some sort of emulation or something...

i still wouldnt recommand an x-fi for someone who isnt really into games... but maybe your right and a small nice audigy2 can do the trick

I picked up an XFi-Music a couple of days ago - i was going to go with a Audigy 2/4, but the Music wasn't all that much more.

Main reason for buying was that the on-board was playing up with an older game(GPL Ledgends), & i kept having to go into sound options & turning off h/w accelleration.

1st sound card i've had since my SB Live shat itself a couple of years ago, & i must say it's a noticable step up, even with the cheap 2.1 setup i have.

Yeah - that Crystalization option really seems to liven up everything.

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback and information, greatly appreciated.. and HG thanks for the link to the article, its great but again why they wanna complaint when they used a onboard.. anyway, i'll think i'll stick to my onboard for a while longer before going upgrade... still trying to get my ddr.... every ram in singapore is shooting up in price(ocing ram), out of my budget...

i find it hard to believe many people will find much of a difference between an audigy2 and an Xfi, yes, you have the crystel effect (which usually makes games acctually worse, its like too much treble), and a whollota better position (espically for headphones!) but unless your CSing or something, its probably not worth it...

maybe if your connected to a very good home stereo, and wanna hear a lot of good music...