Onboard sound or an expensive soundcard?... Worth it?...

Icez84

Guys,

i know i might be taking fire for posting this up but seriously, maybe i'm a idiot, a noob but i see no need for a sound card instead of the onboard sound tt my expert board have provided me.. Is there really a need? Does the sound card really make a huge differences? furthermore, nowaday all soundcard claim to be 5.1, or 7.1 but imo i think most of us still using a 2.1 speaker or headphone, even some use those "claimed to be surrounding sound headphone" does it really work and worth the $$...? Plss enlighten me the Tone deaf idiot.... If a soundcard is really neccessarity to owned, wat would be a good and cheap soundcard to owned? (currently i pwned by the game CoH.... wat a game.... imo again best RTS game in recent yrs)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amm, ok hmm...

Look, to be frank, now'o'days, the onboard Sound Cards are acctually pretty damn good, i for one, play with both 5.1 and Headphones, and like FPSs, for that, i think getting a x-fi (musicextreme) was a good choice, you get EAX (which do makes a difference), and the whole postition of sounds, espcially for Headphones is a lot better...

but if you dont do these, just skip on it...

dont buy cheap, at least thats what i think, cause the diff between it to the onboard is too small...

if you do decide to buy, well, x-fi is always an option, to be frank, i dunno the rest... so i cant recommand...

p.s. it aint a stupid question mate :)

I especially love the X-Fi Crystallization feature. It makes sounds just crispier. Honestly, if you just do 2.1 or headphone stuff and are tone deaf... there's no real point in getting a discrete soundcard. The two better ones would be X-Fi (lowest version costs $70-90 AR) or the AuzenTech XPlosion ($140). The XPlosion provides full 7.1 sound while the X-fi has more processing features.

p.s. it aint a stupid question mate :)

Thank man :P appreciated it

I havent been playing any FPS game recently.. Got very sick of CS, brought CoD2 was very impressed with it single player but not multi... I love WWII FPS, and expect higher expectation from the highly recommended CoD2... I hate the fixed wep... and the execution of the game online but tt only is imo... Plss dont flame me... Wanted to tried BF2 to regain my hope in FPS game but somehow never got the spare cash to a copy of it... Opps.... i'm getting out of topic... anyway, wat would be a good card to get for gaming? using a creative headphone...

PS: X-Fi is cool but everyone is recommending creative, isnt there any other soundcard company can stand up to creative? not that i hate creative or anything(one thing i'm a singaporean and proud tt a local coy from a small country like singapore made it big), BUT THERE GOTTA BE OTHER CHOICE that is just can good as creative X-FI... So creative is unbeaten right now?...

Onboard sound is fine.

If you go with a sound card, that annoying hissing and popping is eliminated and you take the burden off your cpu.

Is there anything annoying hissing and popping sound from our expert onboard sound? Havent been using earphone(usually only used there when playing FPS or mmorpg). Nowaday just plug in my free o'll good compact 2.1 speaker while watching anime, top gear, rockstar:supernova and other... Never seem to hear any popping or hissing.. Maybe coz i usually keep the volume down to prevent from waking my parent...(after college and work... i reach home late in da night)

Anyway, is the load on my cpu from using da onboard sound really noticeable? (sorry once again for the noobie qns)

I especially love the X-Fi Crystallization feature. It makes sounds just crispier. Honestly, if you just do 2.1 or headphone stuff and are tone deaf... there's no real point in getting a discrete soundcard. The two better ones would be X-Fi (lowest version costs $70-90 AR) or the AuzenTech XPlosion ($140). The XPlosion provides full 7.1 sound while the X-fi has more processing features.

Mmmm..... AuzenTech.... never heard of it here... lolz maybe some "invisble agreement between da singapore government and creative :P to help our local firm? hey, i think it does happen, at least from my lecturer from LSE. Are theres any good? can they stand up against the highly recommended and popular X-FI?

Onboard sound or an expensive soundcard?... Worth it?...

However, recently a friend burn me a copy of CoH, darn, it was the bomb.. Opps.... i'm getting out of topic...

Please delete the above sentence from your post per the rules.

11. - Warez/Illegal Activities: Any posting or discussion of Warez or other illegal software talk, anything illegal, will cause an immediate 7 day ban. No exceptions. Period.

I should not have to explain this as you all know better than to talk about illegal things.

Forum Rules - Updated February 20th, 2006

Is there anything annoying hissing and popping sound from our expert onboard sound?

Anyway, is the load on my cpu from using da onboard sound really noticeable?

I use a decent set of Sennheiser headphones and that is mostly the reason I changed to a sound card.

As far as the load on my cpu, I know it's there and it bothers me. It's not going to be noticeable as far as performance in real world applications though.

close to nothing.

game play performance that is.

but i can tell u that going from nf2 onboard to Audigy 1 is SLICK! to tell u the truth, its like listening to winamp shoutcast radio on 64~96bps and 320bps CD quality. meaning, if u dont have the speakers to support it, u wont notice it. its a pretty small difference, but in the long run, u would appreciate sound abit better...

it does sound better.

now, i had an Audigy2 for a while, and there's basically no difference in my ears, coming from a logitech z5300. so i sold it coz my buddy was looking for one back then, and i need the money.

i also listened to XFi cards (bloody expensive), and i have to say, if Audigy1/2 sounds like CD quality, XFi does sounds like HD quality.... sounds are more *crisp* and the bass are groundshakingly low...

so,

is it worth it to upgrade to a soundcard? that depends on the answer of these 2 questions:

- do u have the speakers to utilize the card?

- can u justify the money for the better sound quality? (example: $150-$300(XFi) for listening to movies/games from online radio quality to HD-dvd quality? or u think $50 is more worth it to upgrade it just to CD quality?). to actually listened to the actual cards might help u answer this.....