Sign in to follow this  
ZWood15

LAN question

Hey guys,

The back of the board has 2 LAN ports on it and i was wondering how to go about having a cable run from the router to my computer( already done and working) and then share the connection with a lap top sitting next to my tower (using the 2nd port) Is this possible? and if so, how do i do it? Thanks!!

-Z

Guest Kobalt

Why don't you just plug laptop into the router also?

You can get a cross-over cable to connect the machines together, but it really is much easier to plug it into the router. Otherwise, you have to enable ICS...

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ICS, setup a different gateway, setup a static ip address

router: all automatic, doesnt that sound more simple? :)

preferably i like simple lol

Ok, i agree with that, and have done that, but the router is in another room where it isnt exactly easy to get to. I guess i could buy a long a$$ ethernet cable... but thought it would be cool to do it this way..

Ok, i agree with that, and have done that, but the router is in another room where it isnt exactly easy to get to. I guess i could buy a long a$$ ethernet cable... but thought it would be cool to do it this way..

Go wireless :)

Can you not just bridge the connection? :)

How would that work?

Bridging is when you join 2 or more connections together to make 1.

He needs his connection for internet + other one to share (behave as gateway) his internet.

So both cannot be combined together?

Go wireless or Get a long cable?

I would pick Get a long cable, more secure and if you are transferring bigs files PC<>Laptop it would be faster.

I like your original idea i havent had any experience with it myself but some reading up and fiddling on your part should get it working, unless u intend to game with that laptop (hehe)

a direct connection isnt really a nessecity.

It's easy to do. Let's say your main desktop computer runs XP, then simply run the wizard "setup... network" (this works on Home as well as Pro). Specify which port to use and that it's the one which connects directly to internet and should serve as "shared connection for internet". If the laptop also runs XP then you should run the same wizard, but of course the other way around, meaning that the laptop does connect through the shared LAN port on the desktop computer; if the laptop runs Linux you don't need to do anything really, it just picks up the connection anyway.

Edit: I do it myself occasionally.