Sign in to follow this  
RGone

DFI Venus and 7950GX2 Video Cards

Thank you SI...

Ok sprinkled thru the forum between this section and the AM2 section will be some benches of the 7950GX2 cards in single card and dual card/SLi mode. I wil also be posting the HOW TO for getting the cards to run on the Venus/Expert series since those two will be indentical. Probably hang it on the end of this post here...

I ran most benches at the rate of 250x10, prime stable with Ocz PC4000GEXTX memory and a 850Watt Ocz Alpha power supply to be 'sure' I had enough juice...there are a few benches which are so noted as run at 265x10 not Primed. The pics should be self-explanatory...

Get started with the bios...

GenieBiosSetting.jpg

AdvChipsetFeature.jpg

GenieBiosSetting265NoPrime.jpg

VenusDramConfig-7950s.jpg

VenusPCHealth.jpg

WinDeviceManager.jpg

Moving On To 3D01 Benches...

s3D01-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

du3D01-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

du3D01-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2650Mhz550-700.jpg

Got Some 3D03 Now...

s3D03-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

du3D03-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

3D05 Up Next...

s3D05-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

du3D05-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

Do The 3D06 Numbers...

s3D06-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

du3D06-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

du3D06-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2650Mhz550-700.jpg

Do Aqua3mark...

sAq3-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

duAq3-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

duAq3-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2650Mhz550-700.jpg

Do Everest...

sEvRst-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

And Lastly Prime ON Two Cores...

Prime-Venus-PC4000OCZGEXTX-2500Mhz.jpg

Says a great deal about the native horsepower of the NF4 chipset and memory combinations when you see the later benches on the AM2 series...these boards are tough...

RGone...

Complete Configuration and Setup Instructions to follow in the next post...

Thanks SI...

Installation and Configuration Instructions for 2x7950GX2

Video Cards in SLi mode on DFI Venus and Expert Series

Motherboards as of October, 2006

Beginning Note: Drivers and bios outlined below are the only versions used at the time of this writing. No others used or tested. Ensure that any and all versions of previous video drivers are fully removed/un-installed. Failure to do so can create issues.

1. Use motherboard bios dated 04/06/2006.

2. Use previously extracted Nvidia video driver 91.47 from known location of extraction and storing.

3. Clear the CMOS fully. All power off.

4. While power is removed at step #3, install the first 7950 GX2 in the upper PCI-e x16 video card slot. Ensure the video output is from output closest the level of the motherboard PCB.

5. Reconnect power and boot to bios and Load Optimized Defaults and reboot to bios and make necessary adjustments to memory and CPU settings; disabling all unnecessary/un-used peripherals in bios. In Genie Bios section set PCI Express Configuration to 8-4-NC-8 as shown in picture below.

Set%20PCI-e%20Lanes.jpg

6. Save and exit the bios making sure to monitor the four (4) red debug LEDs as they flash thru the 4, 3, 2, 1 sequence a number of times. When the LEDs quit fast flashing sequence and begin slower 4, 3, 2, 1 countdown…IMMEDIATELY fully turn off ALL the power.

7. With ALL power now removed insert the second 9750 GX2 video card and place the SLi bridge on the two video cards. Make sure to output video from top card and the output closest the level of the motherboard PCB.

8. Re-apply power and begin boot cycle ensuring to HOLD DOWN the F8 Key in order to boot to SAFE MODE. Failure to enter SAFE MODE here will create issues.

9. Disregard and Cancel all windows notes that new hardware has been found and then browse to the location of the previously extracted Nvidia 91.47 video driver. RUN the video driver setup exe file.

10. Installing the 91.47 driver takes some time and after installation you will be asked to restart the system and do so.

11. Note that booting into windows will now take some time and may show a black/blank screen during the boot process for what seems too long…pay no attention as the driver takes a while to load for four (4) GPUs. Do not panic and reboot or shutdown or the like since the driver takes a while to install at booting.

12. After the first complete boot into windows with 91.47 driver installed, reboot and upon this boot you will see a pop-up appear in the system tray indicating that SLi has been enabled and had two monitors been installed, one would now be blank. Disable the notice and the job of enabling SLi mode for 2 x 7950 GX2 video cards is done.

13. You may now proceed with SLi enabled and adjust the Nvidia driver settings as necessary.

Final Notes: This procedure has been used exactly as outlined to enable four (4) GPU SLi on the DFI Venus motherboard and has worked time and time again…skipping steps usually brings issues. Anytime the video cards are removed or moved, the process will need to be repeated. The same procedure will most likely have to be followed by the numbers when updating or upgrading the video driver itself, in order to ensure you have video during the whole drive upgrade process.

Attached below are a few screen captures related to other bios settings and also some general information about the 7950 GX2 video cards themselves when in use.

Bios Screen: Advanced Chipset Features.

AdvChipsetFeature.jpg

PnP/ PCI Configuration:

PnP-PCI%20settings.jpg

Windows Device Manager Listing the Four (4) GPUs:

WinDeviceManager.jpg

One final Picture of the Dual 7950 GX2’s in use while benchmarking:

PicRunningBenches.jpg

Tested and compiled in October, 2006 by RGone…

Guest julvaz

RGone,

:confused: Would you be so kind as to look at my case to see if there's something else I can do to get my SLI rig set up? I followed your guide to a T and windows still not detecting the second card, and for that matter I've never seen windows detecting the card when there's only one in the slot. I always have to do it manually. I haven't seen any messages from windows saying that the card or cards have been detected.

I sincerely appreciated if can helkp with this issue. You're my last resort before I RMA the cards and MoBo. Thank you in advance

Thanks SI...

Installation and Configuration Instructions for 2x7950GX2

Video Cards in SLi mode on DFI Venus and Expert Series

Motherboards as of October, 2006

Beginning Note: Drivers and bios outlined below are the only versions used at the time of this writing. No others used or tested. Ensure that any and all versions of previous video drivers are fully removed/un-installed. Failure to do so can create issues.

1. Use motherboard bios dated 04/06/2006.

2. Use previously extracted Nvidia video driver 91.47 from known location of extraction and storing.

3. Clear the CMOS fully. All power off.

4. While power is removed at step #3, install the first 7950 GX2 in the upper PCI-e x16 video card slot. Ensure the video output is from output closest the level of the motherboard PCB.

5. Reconnect power and boot to bios and Load Optimized Defaults and reboot to bios and make necessary adjustments to memory and CPU settings; disabling all unnecessary/un-used peripherals in bios. In Genie Bios section set PCI Express Configuration to 8-4-NC-8 as shown in picture below.

Set%20PCI-e%20Lanes.jpg

6. Save and exit the bios making sure to monitor the four (4) red debug LEDs as they flash thru the 4, 3, 2, 1 sequence a number of times. When the LEDs quit fast flashing sequence and begin slower 4, 3, 2, 1 countdown…IMMEDIATELY fully turn off ALL the power.

7. With ALL power now removed insert the second 9750 GX2 video card and place the SLi bridge on the two video cards. Make sure to output video from top card and the output closest the level of the motherboard PCB.

8. Re-apply power and begin boot cycle ensuring to HOLD DOWN the F8 Key in order to boot to SAFE MODE. Failure to enter SAFE MODE here will create issues.

9. Disregard and Cancel all windows notes that new hardware has been found and then browse to the location of the previously extracted Nvidia 91.47 video driver. RUN the video driver setup exe file.

10. Installing the 91.47 driver takes some time and after installation you will be asked to restart the system and do so.

11. Note that booting into windows will now take some time and may show a black/blank screen during the boot process for what seems too long…pay no attention as the driver takes a while to load for four (4) GPUs. Do not panic and reboot or shutdown or the like since the driver takes a while to install at booting.

12. After the first complete boot into windows with 91.47 driver installed, reboot and upon this boot you will see a pop-up appear in the system tray indicating that SLi has been enabled and had two monitors been installed, one would now be blank. Disable the notice and the job of enabling SLi mode for 2 x 7950 GX2 video cards is done.

13. You may now proceed with SLi enabled and adjust the Nvidia driver settings as necessary.

Final Notes: This procedure has been used exactly as outlined to enable four (4) GPU SLi on the DFI Venus motherboard and has worked time and time again…skipping steps usually brings issues. Anytime the video cards are removed or moved, the process will need to be repeated. The same procedure will most likely have to be followed by the numbers when updating or upgrading the video driver itself, in order to ensure you have video during the whole drive upgrade process.

Attached below are a few screen captures related to other bios settings and also some general information about the 7950 GX2 video cards themselves when in use.

Bios Screen: Advanced Chipset Features.

AdvChipsetFeature.jpg

PnP/ PCI Configuration:

PnP-PCI%20settings.jpg

Windows Device Manager Listing the Four (4) GPUs:

WinDeviceManager.jpg

One final Picture of the Dual 7950 GX2’s in use while benchmarking:

PicRunningBenches.jpg

Tested and compiled in October, 2006 by RGone…

First let me say: WOW! Awesome guide and thanks for posting it!!! I have one question: will this guide apply to a Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR??? I understand that there is very little difference between the NF4 SLI-DR and the NF4 SLI-DR Expert, the this post says the Venus and Expert series apply. Info? THANKS!!!

EDIT: I had asked about the SLI bridge size before, and I have found some pics that indicate that the standard bridge that comes with the board is just fine.

UPDATE: It seems as though the biggest bottleneck for running QUAD SLI will be my 8x PCIE slots. When in SLI mode, the PCIE slots both function at 8x each. I am thinking about grabbing an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe, as that enforces 16x all the time. Anyone have any comments on this? Back to do more research...

Although it's starting to sound like an echo ...

WOW!

Fantistic guide!

I also seem to have a couple of questions spring to mind, though -

Do you need a good home for those nasty old used video cards (they must be all dusty and have fingerprints all over them - not to mention all the wear and tear on the contacts)?

That CPU must be tired, too after all that work.

Just remember that I'm always available to provide a good, stable home to unwanted electronics. :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this