Sign in to follow this  
sailindawg

Figuring out my 4400

I originally posted this in the OCDB discussion thread. I think it might do better here. I hope that this helps someone who might be stuck:

I think that I finally figured out where I was going wrong in OC'ing my 4400. When I first got it several weeks ago, I installed, cleared CMOS and rebooted. I set-up what I thought would be stock RAM setttings based on what I had achieved with my SD 3700. Started up Memtest, and......failure. I played around with settings for the next several days and could not get stability at 1T command rate. I finally went to 2T, got the RAM stable and set-up the cpu in windows no problem. Next came OC'ing attempts. Lots of failures, despite the cpu booting to windows, showing stability at 245, 250 & 255 FSB, but eventually failing at anything higher than 245. All at 2T and relatively tight timings.

Being stubborn, I researched and researched mem timings for my set-up from others' posts. Still no go. I finally found the Mushkin support site andd did a search of my RAM + a 4400. Low and behold, I found some timings. One set in particular struck me. They were posted by a Mushkin rep. It was settings for 1T. Well I tried them and what do you know ! I now had stability at 1T ! The difference between the timings were the tRRD, tWR, tWTR & tREF were much looser than what I was initially trying to use. I found the tREF settings quite interesting. The rep recommended tREF values of either 3632 or 3684. I first tried 3632 and was rewarded with my first OCDB post at 245x11. At that tREF setting, I tried 250x11 and that was not stable. Mulling things over, I thought to try tREF 3684. Back to 250x11......and.......SUCCESS ! My CCBBIE 0610 can OC well. My mistakes were not understanding that loose is better. As for the tREF values, they are a mystery to me, but I found values that work. Here I was thinking, much disappointed, that my 4400 would not clock or had a weak mem controller. Nope. I just hadn't found what worked well yet. This 4400 has kicked my butt for a bit, but I am finally beginning to understand her. I'm very pleased that I can get her up to 2750! Now I'm in Opty country! :eek:

CCBBIE 0610 = she'll go higher.

EDIT:

You might want to hunt through the OCDB or the x2 4400 thread, Watsonte and Kingfisher have done some amazing stuff with theirs.

what was your temp at 2.7 with your 4400 ?

At 1.43V Vcore, at idle I see 33/34, at full P95 dual instances, I see 46C in Smart Guardian. In the Core Temp program, the instaneous temps fluctuate from 42-47 for core 0, 40-46 core 1. Both cores are usuually within 3 degrees of one another.

CCBBIE 0610 = she'll go higher.

EDIT:

You might want to hunt through the OCDB or the x2 4400 thread, Watsonte and Kingfisher have done some amazing stuff with theirs.

(with fingers crossed) so far I have found my max fsb at 1.43V Vcore, 254x11. At 255, the machine is very sluggish. I have adjusted all other voltages except Vcore and I need to kick Vcore up a bit. However, I'm using air cooling, so I'm careful with my overvolts. 1.43 has taken me to 254. At 254, I'm 4hours P95 stable. I'll test longer this weekend. The pc flys. Gaming is very good and the higher cpu cycles removes a bit of the cpu bottleneck.

I have studied Kingfisher's and Wasonte's OCDB posts to death. Only Kingfisher is using Infineon CE-6/5 RAM. My timings, with the exception of Tref, closely mirror his. My Tref is looser and the cpu likes that much better. I believe that Watsonte is using UCCC RAM, so his timimngs do not help me. Kingfisher seems to have gottten quite a chip. That's the highest proveable 4400 OC that I have read about to date. Right now, if all I can get 254x11, then I'm pretty happy. Ofcourse I'll try higher, but at 254, the pc is running fast and cool. I'm not burning up anything with high volts to run at this at level. :D

are you running your ram at 1:1 ?

1:1, click my sig. The only difference is that I'm currently running at 254, not 250. Everything else is the same. Check out my OCDB entry for 245x11. All my RAM timings are there except I changed the Tref value to be able to hit >245. My current Tref is 3684.

hi - i managed that OC also with my 4200 --

i had to run 1.5 volts - to get stable -

how did you post a link to your screen shots -

i passed all the tests also and i used the johnny lee before i knew i had to use prime to post - and i didnt want to run it again for 10 hours -

so i think you cant post on here if you didnt use prime 95 right ?

unless the rules have changed -- but i like to put a link in my Sig to show my screen shots of the OC also

would you or anyone be able to tell me how its done - thanks

i may have to resize my shots - since they are big -

thanks - that would allow me to add a link to my pictures ?

but do i have to put the picuters somewhere for the link to work ?

i have to play around and figure this out now

:)