Sign in to follow this  
cler1c

Help me spend $300

Things were going oh so well with my two 7900GS cards running in SLi until I was playing counter strike source and everything went garbled.

dscn1322dy7.jpg

Then I couldn't boot into Windows either because the Nvidia Raid utility was reporting an error on my Raid 0 boot disk array. Pretty perfect really because I'd only just put all of my data there.

Fiddled around, swapping the drives around, and finally, for no reason at all, the array was recognised as healthy again, no data loss. Lucky. I'm still having trouble figuring out how a sudden crash screwed both my video cards and my hard drives.

Anyway, I've got an RMA for the defective cards, so I should be getting a $300 refund some time soon. Who's got any ideas for how best to spend it? I wouldn't mind getting another pair of vid cards, but there's no way I can get two 7900's again for that price. In the meantime I'm running an ATI x800XL as a backup. Alternatively, I could play the waiting game. But I prefer games in high-res :)

My only word of caution would be to insure that you indeed receive the $300 refund before spending it.

Sometimes refunds don't go as smoothly as we hoped.

Just for info, What process did you use to determine it was the video cards and not the motherboard? Interested minds would like to know.

My only word of caution would be to insure that you indeed receive the $300 refund before spending it.

Sometimes refunds don't go as smoothly as we hoped.

Good idea! Now assuming I do get a refund...

Just for info, What process did you use to determine it was the video cards and not the motherboard? Interested minds would like to know.

I swapped the vid cards into another motherboard, tested them one at a time and got the same garbled ascii screaming across my screen. Do you mean maybe the motherboard was responsible for frying my cards? It's possible I suppose. I have no way of knowing that except I've been using this ATI Radeon for over a year now on the same mobo with no problems. Unless SLi is the issue...

Thanks, the GTO sounds good, that way I could buy another one in the future and brave SLi waters again. Unless I wait for DirectX10?

Good idea! Now assuming I do get a refund...

I swapped the vid cards into another motherboard, tested them one at a time and got the same garbled ascii screaming across my screen. Do you mean maybe the motherboard was responsible for frying my cards? It's possible I suppose. I have no way of knowing that except I've been using this ATI Radeon for over a year now on the same mobo with no problems. Unless SLi is the issue...

That is just scarey that both went out like that at the same time, but stranger things have happened. I would really suspect my P/S, but that's just my opinion. It's nice you're getting a refund, maybe 'they' have seen this problem before and are OK with giving the refund.

That is just scarey that both went out like that at the same time, but stranger things have happened. I would really suspect my P/S, but that's just my opinion. It's nice you're getting a refund, maybe 'they' have seen this problem before and are OK with giving the refund.

Yes, 'they' have. I'm not alone in experiencing problems with these vid cards. I hope it's not my psu - that OCZ 700w beast should be fine - I've tested the rails and they're as stable as bedrock.

Yes, 'they' have. I'm not alone in experiencing problems with these vid cards. I hope it's not my psu - that OCZ 700w beast should be fine - I've tested the rails and they're as stable as bedrock.

How did the refund go??? All is well?

Dylan

Sign in to follow this