Thermalright SI-128 compatibility

Jumbotron

@ K_K,

I got very low temps with the SI-128 too, but only as long as it was open air or with the case opened. Once the side panel was put on it just poured heat into my case, with nowhere for it to go. I was seeing CPU temps of 32-34C idle after 2 hours in open, but once case was closed CPU temps reached critical or 60C plus! You can see from this picture with my side panel removed that having two graphics cards take up allot of room and put off allot of heat, so adding the SI-128 to my particular system just didn't work out with case closed. It blew the heat from the CPU right onto the Mainboard, instead of cooling it like reviews stated. Worked great until I closed it inside my case.

P.S., I'm shipping the SI-128 back to the vendor, after talking with a Thermalright technician yesterday for nearly half an hour long distance. Turns out all the reviews were written by people that tested the unit in an open-air environment and none with a closed case. The vendor will be swapping it out for a High-Riser HR-01-K8 and a fan duct, to pull all that heat out the back of my case when closed. The SI-128 was cooking my components inside a closed case! Thermalright apologized for the inconvenience.

TR-SI-128-4.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's some hot stuff you got there. Even testing my overclock at 2750 MHz, my temperatures don't reach as high as yours. The max at overclocking was 47C so definitely something wrong with your setup. You can always get better casing i guess if you wanted to.

My casing has mesh at it side so i guess that's helping as it in not entirely a close case. Good luck with your next HS. Nice to hear TR actually went out of their way to replace your SI-128 with another model.

Yeah, Thermalright was pretty good to me, asking all types of questions and giving me tips. Although you can't see it in the photo, I have 4 other 80mm fans in my case, 3xintake and 2x exhaust. Thermalright claimed that my case has more than adequate air flow for the most part and said I shouldn't have to mod my case further just to get this product to work. I'm pretty sure if I had a case with a side panel fan and enough room for a 120mm exhaust, this cooler would have worked out fine. The way the WaveMaster case is designed there's just no way to install any more fans at the rear. I also think if I'd gone with a PSU that had at least a 120mm fan on the bottom, to pull out more heat, that may have improved performance. Gone back to my Swiftech MCX6400-V for now and it's staying @ 48C loaded. Once again time to change my Sig.

I've been doing some testing with temperatures lately. It makes no difference if I have the side panel on or off, i believe due to the fact i have a side panel fan blowing cool air right onto the si-128 as you can see in the picture below. Temps at 1.58 volts seem to idle @ 36/37 and peak under load @ 47/48.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks like you may also have a rear 90-92mm exhaust fan? I'm limited to using just one 80mm rear exhaust with my case, plus no side cover fan. I don't want to cut a hole in my clear blue Plexi side panel just to get enough air flow for the SI-128 to work. Probably going with a Swiftech H20-80 Micro liquid cooling system for my CPU cooling next.

I actually get much better cooling from using a Swiftech MCX6400-V on my FX-60, using a 92mm fan. That and there's less weight pulling on my Mainboard than with the SI-128, with my case in an upright position. It's a little noisier, with a smaller fan, plus I had to buy a special metal backplate and 92mm fan adapters seperately to attach it; but cooler and shorter is always better IMO. Just wish the SI-128 would have worked in my rig. Would have if I had better air flow.

InsideWaveMastershown.jpg

My SI-120 cools just fine with the case closed up, and Ive got my E6600 at 3300MHz. That might be because Ive got a 120mm exhaust in the back, 120mm intake in the front and a 92mm intake (~80cfm) on the side. My temps with the side off are the same, maybe 2C cooler on the chipset.

In your case (no pun intended, lol), I can see why your temps would go up a lot.

How are you going to get the HR-01 to work... its designed to work with a 120mm fan and youve got an 80?

If I do go with the HR-01, Thermalright suggested getting the fan duct and a 80mm-120mm adapter for my rear 80mm exhaust fan. My CFX3200 MoBo has the CPU located at a perfectly flat plain in regards to where the rear exhaust fan is located, a straight shot, so a fan duct would go right to it in a straight line.

...If you want some serioius cooling, check out this new product for a 'decent' price.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67133

Are you talking about the Vigor Monsoon II? Doesn't that use a Peltier on it? I've considered other Peltier style cooling but since the humidity in Florida averages 80%+ I'd be concerned about condensation. Looks really cool though! [no pun intended]

EDIT:

I'm thinking I may just go with a Swiftech H20-80 MICRO CPU Liquid Cooling Kit (H20-80-MICRO) water cooling setup, since it looks like it will fit my WaveMaster case perfectly; and since the SI-128 was a miserable failure for me.

I like King Kevins' chipset cooler too, but seeing there's no room left in my case I don't think I'd be able to mount one on my NB. Those ATI cards take up most of the available room and the Master sits right on top of the ATI NB chip. Probably why my NB temps are always so high, or @ 50-57C when loaded.